Wednesday, December 2, 2020

SMALL TOWN

I got back to the Casa du Borghese last night from being home the last 10 days and I'm glad to say I'm finally out of my stretchy pants from my aunt's delicious dinner. I embarrassed to say I had thirds. The skinny jeans were a bit more snug the next day. The dinner was actually nice, and can say it was almost even more calm since many of her children weren't there, and a good family friend also didn't come. So it was five of us with my aunt's one son who is currently living with them. After dinner he even treated us to a piece on his voila. Since being back up this way , and leaving the Chattanooga Symphony, he is hoping to get either in the Philly Orchestra, where he once was years ago before moving, or even Harrisburg Symphony. It will be tough, as one, many members stay for considerable time and two,  symphonies aren't either performing or are doing virtual performances. In the meantime he has been doing private music lessons for students. It was just glorious to hear him play.

The mother and I did the very small bit of shopping we had to do. Both of us leery as neither of us had been in any type of store since March with exception to grocery stores or markets. After some anxiety, I even double masked it, like double wrapping my sausage at times...to much tmi? But must say, it was a relief to see the crowds were absent. Just a nice everyday crowd and everyone was adhering to guidelines. You heard a lot of people saying they were shopping local and small over online and big chains. It seems a uphill battle to think about, but online is going to kill the American dream of small business and it saddens me.  One place I like to go is Hummelstown when home. It's a busy little downtown area and small town atmosphere, with little shops and eateries, looks to be a pleasant place to live and is probably located about nine miles from Harrisburg as your on your way to Hershey. In these times more then any other, I vowed to shop local, and small business when-ever possible. They have a lovely place called Rhoades Pharmacy I just love. But it's basically a shop with cards and stationery,  homemade knit wear, bath products, candle, decorations and a kitchen shop. We got our very few gifts we needed and my cards. I also found this year ornament for my tree, as I add one new one every year. Never mind mother tripped in front of the store over something and went down. She was fine, thank goodness, and a policeman in a passing car asked if we needed help and if she was alright to which I replied, " I told her not to drink this much before 6pm, but yes, were fine."
I adore this fountain, and the wisecrack who put these on the ducks to promote wearing masks!!!! Pretty neat. And we caught two slices at the pizza parlor before the rain. The best crust!
I love seeing the old town light post decorations. Remember when most towns and cities did this, or am I dating myself?
This guy had set up a table and was playing Christmas tunes for the whole town to hear. Pretty fun, and this year seemed to be helping people cope with getting some kind of cheer. The guy in the pizza place said he is a veteran of  the Vietnam war, and does this at the holidays and the fourth. And the community in return looks out for him. We need to treat veterans better and do more. It appalls me to hear stories of what they went through for the country and then either tossed out when back and forgotten, or have to jump hurdles for benefits and such. I don't get it.
Couple of after pizza shots of the town.
LOVED this old roadster!!!!! And yes, it was an actual car we saw someone get out of. While I was home I got my mothers place decorated inside and out. Some of the outdoor touches were made of all pines and berries from her garden trees and bushes.
This one was made with pines and a artificial piece and hangs on the shed door.
A small pine tree by the back door I added lights to. While I was doing decorating, my mother started her cookies. These were some sort of chocolate cocoa cookie trees. 
Here's Lilith covering her eyes, when I almost tipped over the Christmas tree. And even when outside, Lilith and Buster always seem to know when dinner is being served.
And while we were in Hummelstown, we saw this....a situation of huge proportions....
I know I said I like to ride big wieners, but this is ridiculous!

53 comments:

  1. The giant weiner is even bigger than Steppenwolf's Dickmobile from For Ladies Only!

    Our small town is nothing but barber, charity and mobile phone shops; the rest are pretty much empty. Retail properties are two a penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Helen!!! Yes that wiener is even too big for me!!! It's nice to see small towns thrive. Hummelstown is always a nice day out. Even here in Bucks County our little towns do pretty good. Most of our mobile phones places are exiled to malls mostly with exception to here and there. New Hope actually has an ordinance they won't let any big chain in the town. Except Starbucks...but they give a lot back to the community. I think that was part of the deal.

      Delete
  2. You really live a very full, rich life. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And all without working. I have several homes I will be decorating here in the next day or two.... best to keep a routine.

      Delete
  3. I love the photos. It sounds like a lovely getaway.
    Ducks in masks!!!!
    We, too, shop local and small businesses. I'd rather pay them than some giant retailer.
    And I love the small town Christmas decorations. Our own Smallville does nicely at the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At times it can probably be easier to shop online, but during this pandemic I have vowed to only shop local. I may not go back to many stores I once shopped. The only online placed I continue to shop is the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I bet Smallville does twinkle!

      Delete
  4. ride that wiener! sounds like you had a wonderful sanity break. small towns still decorate the light poles. and your mom's cookies look dee-lish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, when did he pass up riding a big wiener? the pandemic must be getting to him.

      Delete
    2. I was so nice to not have to worry about the season and not have to work a holiday season for once in 28 years!!!!

      And Ms. Mooorecock...didn't you hear I'm virginial again?

      Delete
    3. and BY WHOM was that virginity granted? what's next for you, an immaculate conception?

      Delete
    4. When one goes Anne Marie for nine years with out sex they are a virgin again....but since Im a, well, was, professional ho, the 10 months without sex count as nine years in my book for me....

      Delete
    5. Virgin!?!?!?! That must be a new feeling to you Mistress?

      Delete
  5. Fun tour and impressed at all you
    got done! take care, xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great time home. And viola music. Live music in a house means happiness and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I twas rather nice to hear. I think that comment about love and happiness Jimmy.
      I hope your being bad and not to good?

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, I agree. I like the decorations of small towns. It's sad when they stop doing it. I see many with them still. Hummelstown? I went through there years ago I believe. Is that near Indian Echo Caverns? I seem to remember a sign for the town.

    The dogs delighted me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!! The caverns are indeed right nearby, your correct.

      Delete
  8. im sure it wasn't thirds of dinner making your skinny jeans more snug.

    love the duck fountain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A heart warming post. It nice to see a small town like this. I hope they are doing well, it looks like a quaint little town. I have changed my habits very much during this pandemic. I have cut off all my online ordering and will now only support local small businesses like Bob said. Just plain better service and why not support a family instead of another pompous ceo? I even use a little hardware store mow for my basic needs.

    Loved your pine creations too. Can you come do mine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I have a little True Value Hardware store close to me. Soon as you enter someone is ready to assist you. It's great for basic needs and hardware. And it doesn't hurt the Daddy who manages this branch is a hot daddy!!!!!

      Delete
  10. Eh. You've had bigger, dear. Or at least I'm pretty sure Pam Demic has. On-line? They call her the Holland Tunnel. Love Clara Bow, by the way. Priceless. Your life! Such a postcard! I want to see it all. Glad you had a lovely holiday and a wonderful day of shopping about with your mom... sorry she tripped. How awful. Scary. Glad you're home. Missed you. Kizzes. Oh, and I adore small town lamppost decorations... the more vintage the better. Those small towns hang on to them forever... and so bittersweet to see. Smalltown downtowns always make me melancholy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She could have killed me when I said that to the policemen...but she knows she has a wisecrack as a son!!!! And as far as Pam goes...talk about winging a hotdog into the Holland tunnel!!!!!

      Delete
  11. OMG cookies!
    OMG Buster!
    Love the photos of the streets after pizza!
    Glad you got to spend time with The Mother. Always a good time. I can’t believe you threw her under the bus that savagely! Lmaoooo

    I knew you’d beautify her place before you left. I love the little arrangement next to the door. And buying local is ESSENTIAL during these times.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time she is done with cookies, she will have made almost 15 varieties. And she will give almost all of them away. W will save a couple for ourselves. Shall I come and make you some pine boughs?

      Delete
  12. What a great post and, apparently, visit. If these are roots, I can see how you knew you'd love Bucks County. Happy you're back and didn't get distracted by that wiener! SG baked another apple cake this afternoon, but I want cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in Camp Hill/Mechanicsburg area which is around 13 miles west of Hummelstown. CampHill has a cute little main street too.

      Delete
  13. The Wienermobile is one of my favourite things in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like myself...I'm sure you've enjoyed many a ride around the block shall I say?

      Delete
  14. You did nice Xmas decorations for your Mom and her cookies look de-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can come do my decorating for me anytime!!! I love that you use all natural things. I have been out to a few shops, but if I risk my health better believe it will be for the small businesses first. I have never been a huge online shopper. That little town looks so cute. It's nice to see town trim too I think.

    Lilith and Buster are so cute together. I assume they get along well?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wait...you didn't ride on a big wiener?????

    Oh I love this post. Ptown is also bejeweled for the holidays. If you want to send along some cookies, who am I to decline Maddie. And you ate thirds?!?!?! And I bet your still stick thin.


    Bitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pandemic has been cruel to us all.

      Delete
  17. Wow, you make it looks so pretty!! I don't think people realize just how small it is. And some of those old houses are perfect jewels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right. In the blink of an eye your through town.

      Delete
  18. Oh how lovely! Sound like you had a good visit and did my deeds early. What a charming little town. We've been to Harrisburg and Hershey many atime...but never stopped in Hummelstown. That duck fountains gave me a chuckle too! Did Anne Marie knit those masks?

    Your work never ceases to amaze me. I like the natural touches. We do both holidays in this house but probably won't be decorating as the kids won't be coming home this year. It will be just out usual Hanukah decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice pictures, and good luck trying to find a condom to fit that wiener in the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The wiener mobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!Bwahahahahahahahaha! That would be the perfect float for you to ride in a parade! I want to go see this town too. My two peeps and I may go to Hershey for a day just to get the hell out of Philly. Maybe we can add this. This post all of sudden got me in the mood to decorate. And bake, but Im not a good baker. Loves the puppies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you damn well know Id do my best to straddle that thing.

      Delete
  21. Looks like your on way for Santa. Over those big shopping days I stayed home. Not worth the risk.
    Stay Safe and Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh man, that roadster is so fun! This post as got me a bit in the mood for the holidays now, I have to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great post! I hardly know what to mention first, there's so much good stuff here! I can tell you had a wonderful time. :) It's good to have you back though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. like double wrapping my sausage at times...to much tmi?
    Well, you have to protect your crowning glory!
    And it's the dog who's supposed to knock over the tree, not the human!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hence Lilith's paw I surmise. She was quite appalled.

      Wait...can men crown?

      Delete
    2. She was embarrassed for you.

      Delete
  25. It sounds like you had a full break from yet “normal.” Glad you got in some family time with your mother and aunt. So important.

    You always take the best pictures. I love the ducks. And your decorations are beautiful. Glad you got some baking in. Mine starts next week with my annual vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When i have these long moments at home it is nice to be able to have somewhere to go. Most people I haven't seen in almost a year soon.

      Delete
  26. Good to have you back, big weiners and all

    ReplyDelete
  27. There is something to be said - - positive - - about living in a small town during the holidays. Yep.

    BTW - The roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding is a must at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... definitely a more seasonal feel.

      Delete
  28. Oh, those long exposure post-pizza shots of hummelstown are fabulous! And so is that little Christmas tree you lit up by the door.

    Poor Lilith. Fancy embarrassing her like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pictures were flukes. I was pure accident that car with blue lights came out like it did.

      Delete
  29. Great post....will try to get back with comments, but enjoyed it immensely!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!