Tuesday, December 15, 2020

COQUITO

With all the hubbub of catching up with your loved ones, you live with, or over zoom calls, or co-workers are getting to you... it can still be madden, and we, well, not I, you guys,  may overlook to take time for the nice cock-a-tail to enjoy during the holidays. While I love my gin and tonic, I often give it a rest to enjoy other mind altering delights. You may recall the Elder Family recipe I make and enjoy. OMG!!!! If you want eggnog... than try it. It's the recipe that's been in the family for ages on my mothers side. But it is potent. It can be found here on the blog. While I'll enjoy that once I'm home, this year I wanted to try Coquito. Coquito is a traditional coconut punch served at Christmas and New Years in Puerto Rico. The creamy sweet drink is similar to eggnog, but without the eggs, still has rum, but with tropical elements of coconut. I tried it last night and oh my..... sugarplums....did it make me feel very warm and fuzzy!
What you'll need.
1 can of sweetened cream of coconut
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 can of unsweetened lite coconut milk
1/2 can evaporated milk (3/4 cup)
1&1/2 cup of spiced rum
1/2 vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4tsp ground clove
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish.
For the rum, I use and swear by, the Kraken. It's a very tasty black spiced rum. Take all the ingredients and place into a blender and blend till completely smooth. Get your glass ready. I took my glass and rimmed it in some of the milk, then dipped it in confectioners sugar.  Filled the glass with ice, then pour in the coquito.
Get your grater and don't forget to garnish on top some fresh nutmeg. 
The finished drink...
I had a couple while doing some baking . I made another batch of tea biscuit to send off, and a loaf of Apple Spice bread for the lady at the market.

And then I had another one. I slept like a baby last night.
 If anyone tries it, or the eggnog, let me know.
Salud!!

41 comments:

  1. That is a lot of white and creamy - oh my first thought - I'll end up on the naughty list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you were already on it toots?

      Delete
  2. You are a wonder! That drink looks and sounds delicious to me, but SG would leave the house. He hates coconut so much it even nauseates him when he's on the beach and he smells coconut oil. The sacrifices I'm forced to make... Salud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with SG! Hate coconut with a vengeance. Jx

      Delete
    2. Hence the hefty dose of Spiced rum. !!!! Yippppeeeee

      Delete
  3. The eggnog, I'd give that one a try. The Cocki---er, Coquito,---I have to take a pass. Anything - anything - coconut is out. Unless it's fresh coconut meat---that I suck down like, well, like it's a real treat.
    All the baked goods, on the other hand? YUM! Those biscuits look like scones. Double YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then you'd love the eggnog then, And it's potent. and light and fluffy.

      I can't imagine you'd suck down anything quickly.....

      Delete
    2. Quickly? Oh, my no... It must be savored!

      Delete
  4. I am not a rum or sweet drinker .... but Carlos? I make have to make a small batch for him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love freshly grated nutmeg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The boyfriend will only drink Kraken. He says everything else is garbage. Love your recipes, hon. So thoughtful and helpful... especially this time of year. I am too lazy to do such complicated booze. My hooch - immediate and simple. Sort of like my men... anyhoo. You are absolutely this seasons best friend. Martha Stewart got nothing on you. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give me some glasses of Kraken....and you'll get quick and easy luv!!!!!!! You boyfriend got good taste.

      Delete
  7. the mistress's tea biscuits are FABU! and I love coconut & rum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMMM that drink sounds amazing!! I think I may try and make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll take the rum. You can have the rest of it...

    Roll on next summer - Mojito time! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This rum is of the dark variety...so smooth...I get quite crazy on it. But it's very rare I drink rum.

      Delete
    2. Rum and Coke's quite nice occasionally, but usually I have it as part of a cocktail - and always dark or Navy rum, never Bacardi if I can help it! Jx

      Delete
  10. You absolutely amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Kraken? Is that Sydney Powell's favourite drink? Have to say it sounds rather calorific....but nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes probably not very good for a thinning waistline! Lol

      Delete
  12. So much yummy on your page today! 😛

    Count me in! 👏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG that looks and sounds tasty and I do Love me a Coconut flavored anything! My Mom had a recipe for Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur given to her by someone who used to work for the Company and it was fabulous, but Homemade only lasts 2 weeks without the preservatives used Commercially. Not that a batch would last that long... I've liked Kahlua drinks too... but this recipe you gave sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will sometime put a spot of Baileys or Kahlua in my coffee if I not heading out.

      Delete
  14. Well.....so this is how you get all the South American men?!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By waving his Coquito south of the border, no doubt. Jx

      Delete
    2. Desperate things call for desperate measures.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the recipe, but I'm a wino.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at 'mind altering delights'.
    This looks DELICIOUS and want to try it. Also, Rum is fantastic.
    Salud!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’ll be under the table after the second sip.

      Delete
    2. I believe you may be right Huntley...especially if your not use to drinking. Then where would that leave us with Six?

      Delete
    3. Oh the possibilities are endless.

      Delete
  17. This, I will make. It sounds FABOOO! We here at the Rancho love us some coconut anything, and what's a little Kraken between friends? And look at you baking like a champ! I wanna live next door to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE COQUITO'S!!!!!! I haven't had one in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to partake of your liquor.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks refreshing! I will probably love this too. I will be here for Christmas by myself and have invited one friend in. I should try these. I tried your other recipe last year and those indeed packed a punch....so creamy and fluff too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That truly is the best eggnog Ive ever had. Store bought is too thick for my liking....and too "buttery" tasting.

      Delete
  21. Feliz Navidad! These looks great, I never heard of them.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!