Friday, August 28, 2020

SHE SELLS SEASHELLS


She sells seashells by the seashore
The shells she sells are surely seashells
So if she sells seashells on the shore
I'm sure she sells seashore seashells.

How's that for a tongue twister. I haven't said that in ages. But I will tell you this secret Mistress, surely does steal seashells from the seashore, so these shells are surely stolen from the sandy seashore, so if I stole seashells from the seashore, they are surely sandy filled seashells. Yes...I admit to being a seashell junkie!!!! I just love seashells. In the summer months, right after spring, I haul out all my seashells to fill jars and compotes and vases with them. I have bought many, and glad to say have also had the luck of finding many too. I have also lucked out with some good finds from the sea. But I have yet to find a merman to bring back for the pool here at the Casa du Borghese. While the mountains are a runner up to my favorite locale to get away to for relaxing,  and being with nature...the seaside will always be my first love. Just the sound, smell and feel of the sand is like instant rejuvenation for my soul. I'm always on the hunt for shells for my collection. Since the closest beach for me is Rehoboth Beach by 2 1/2 hours, many are from there, but I do have a few from all over. It's my way of bring home a memory of the beach and that summer. I usually have to store then in a huge box when summer is over, but right now, they compliment my green Hosta leaves I clipped last week in the kitchen above, on the island. That big white calm shell was my find from my earlier visit this spring with Pearly.

The two below are in the apothecary above on my kitchen table and were found the summer. I love the big white one, it's about the size of a very large apple.
In the living room finds this compote filled with shells, mostly bought with a dried sea fan. That HUGE conch shell I bought from a lady who owns a shop in Rehoboth which is rare for such large shells this size to be found on the beaches there.
But this scallop shell I did find way back around 2014?
Another find was this huge star fish from years ago in Asbury Park while visiting friends. And I love the dried out sea urchin. Some of the smaller ones here are found also.
Another huge shell under the coffee table. Some of you may remember the racy photo I took with it a couple years back here to show the it's size. Click at your own risk!!!  This is probably my favorite shell in my collection.
In the bath more shells from the seashore!!!
I keep the smaller ones I find in this jar in the bath cabinet.
Some of my coolest finds ever!!!!! A mini starfish, a unopened clam and the first and only seahorse to date I've ever found.
These two very little gems are also some favorites from Rehoboth.
The boudoir brings about even more shells!!!!!!
This big shell was actually found by none other then Buster himself from when I took him one year. I never though I'd like him digging holes so much. I have this one under a glass cloche on the nightstand.
During this time of pandemic, it has given me time to get a few fun things done. Several years ago I took some picture of seagulls that I liked. They sat for two years until recently. I bought a frame, and covered the mat with a tan canvas fabric I had on hand. Then hot glued those silver paper binder clip thingy's to the material and clipped the pictures in. Since it was sort of a shadow box but not really, the glass just fit!!!! I was pleased with the outcome and it hangs in my bath now at the sink.

My cute little seashell finding hound dog!!!!!
When I see this picture, I sometime gets happy tears looking at it as I recall that day, was just Buster and I for the day after everybody else left the beach house that morning to head home. We spent the whole day till evening on the beach...it was one of those sublime days. And as I recall, ended with Thrasher French Fries and a Grotto Pizza, followed by a sit on the boardwalk for what seemed an age till dark. It was a good day.

45 comments:

  1. She could make a bundle selling those shells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved this!
    I didn't know you had such a collection (yes, I clicked on the link, yes, now I know how BIG that one shell is) and that they could look so pretty! I get you share your love with the mountains, but I prefer the seashore. Definitely. Loved, loved, loved! the way you display them. And that tiny seahorse! Now I want one.
    I saw the fan, too! Yes!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have contemplated turning the seashorse and smaller shell and starfish into magnets for the frig.

      Delete
  3. A collection worthy of Ariel; a true treasure trove.
    Look at that stuff. It's really neat. Boy, I bet your collection's complete. You must be the girl who has everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Susie sitting in a shoe shine shop.
    Where she sits she shines
    And where she shines she shi.......Oh bother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, there is nothing like being at the shore. Nothing. It sound of the waves, the smell of the salt air, the vastness of the water and sky. My most favorite place; it brings a sense of peace. I'll admit, I've collected a few shells - but I've brought home a small bit of sand from every beach I've visited and there is glass bowl with it all on display. The mountains are beautiful, too - and would also be my second choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is neat. I saw once an idea, where someone took small bottles and filled with sand from each beach they visited, and then made a hang tag and tied on the bottle where it was from and displayed them on a shelf. Pretty cool.

      Delete
  6. I was lucky enough to grow up
    right next to salt water in
    my childhood. We always collected
    sea shells. Great pictures. Loves
    to Buster. xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see your collection of tweezers and tongs which you so artistically use to place the shells in those glass containers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just place by hand, but your not far off, I do have an huge abundance of tongs and wooden spoons and spatulas.....

      Delete
  8. I did remember you loved shells and who'd thought they could be so handsomely displayed like you have shown . Must be nice to have that creative design background you have. I have never had luck finding shells except clam shells that are often broken. When we go back to the beach for another month you'll better believe I'll be looking. And isn't funny how certain pictures can trigger a emotional like that? I can see why that day sounds lovely. The beach seems to suit Buster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can almost smell the beach! You may want to get some Febreze.
    Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peckers......

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss seeing your place this summer. with out the beach trip, I missed the sleep over. That seagull picture turned out great!!!! What a great way to show more pictures in one frame. And that picture of Buster is adorable. I miss the beach this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. how creative of you with the seagull pix! you bring the beach to you when you can't get there. WOOF to buster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be the first time since 98' I have not been to Rehoboth in the summer.

      Delete
  12. My fave tongue-twister: "I saw Susie sitting in a shoe shine shop....Where she sits she shines, and where she shines she sits."

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to find a seashore like that!!!!!! I wonder if it was after a storm you found it. Usually after those big storm are when I'd find my best beach treasure. And I also love the cut hosta leaves in the vase, I would have never thought of that. I see Buster like the sea too.

    I like how your places always represents each season...beautifully too I may add. Hope you doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bring my sea shell collection out in the summer, too, sweetpea! Nothing as grand as yours, for sure, but each one has a memory of a place visited. and, yes, that is a BIG shell! ;) (KNOW I had to look!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! The ones I found I can tell you where it's from and who I was with.

      Delete
  15. I have a few shells, but have numerous star fish I've found. I bet you could come up with something intresting to do with them. I love all these. and YES.....THAT LINK!!!! I bet you were filling that shell up!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beauty surrounded by beautiful things. I know Venus emerged from a clam shell... did you? Have a lovely weekend, dear. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like Venus arose where the sea foam dear...no the back of a merman!

      Delete
  17. I love sea shells, I used to snorkel for them when I in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your place is also so warm and inviting. I have shells to and never thought to display them. So pretty good size clam shells too. I also love the color of the walls in the bedroom. We need to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good sixed clam shell turned outside down are great to light a votive candle in.

      Delete
  19. Oh my gosh. Every photo is inspiring. Just beautiful, and I love the side table with compote and the colored glass vases. That shell looks huge!!!! I'd be by side myself if I found one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love what you did with the frame and pictures you took. What a creative way to display picture other then in a boring frame like normal. I also would love to find a starfish. It's cool you have a small and large one. The only thing I have is a bowl of those sea urchins. I also have a big one, that I put a little tea light in.

    Love that picture of Buster!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love Busters look!!!! Your place is the Seashell Shop!!!! You did get me with the tongue twister. My favorite is -

    Betty Botter bought some butter
    But she said the butter’s bitter
    If I put it in my batter, it will make my batter bitter
    But a bit of better butter will make my batter better
    So ‘twas better Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter

    ReplyDelete
  22. That first photo of the sun streaming through the Hosta leaves is beautiful, Maddie!

    I love all your shells, and the various compote/cloche/apothecary displays. Absolutely delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It takes a special creative mind to change things out seasonally, someone should hire you to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice collection! I only have one seashell -- covered in natural mother of pearl!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, that clip on the beach with Buster is short but so soothing. I love your collection. Having lived near the beach growing up, we had buckets and buckets of seashells. However, we weren't so discerning. Buster has very good taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had he not been so interested in a horseshoe crab carcass, he may have never found that one perfect shell.

      Delete
  26. Any cockles?
    I love your recollection of the day on the beach with Buster. Memories like that are special.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we always have at least two cockles in hand,err.....ummmm, I meant on hand.

      Delete
  27. I loved this post. Beautiful. I don't not what it is about shells we like.I love the little seahorse.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I Love the Shell Vignettes and the back stories of some of the finds. I'd delight in Sourcing Shells on the Beaches, only very few of mine were actual Beach/Oceanfront finds, the rest of mine were bought... since... Arizona... lotsa Sand, no Ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yep. I so need you to come help me with decorating. I love how you land things in place. And we always enjoy seeing Buster. What a beach bum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would do that for a cello solo act!!!!!!!

      Delete
  30. Ahhhh! I love these pictures. I still have the seashells you gave me a few years back. I'm waiting for when I can finally get my own place. I want to put them in a glass container with sand and put it on top of a table near the front door. And have a nice summertime theme framed painting or print above it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh but I love seashells! this entry gave me quite a smile to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!