Friday, August 21, 2020

PORTMANTEAU


Glamping is a portmanteau of "glamorous" and "camping" and describes a style of camping with amenities and in some cases, resort style services not usually associated with traditional camping. Glamping has become a huge activity and past time of us gays. And the Woods Campground has got the best of both worlds. When I was with my ex, my good friend invited us to come up. I thought my ex would love it, and I only went for him really. But then we both liked it, and ended up meeting a swell guy and next thing we had a thruple to our relationship for a while. Who saw that coming? Now, my ex never goes, and I ended up in love with the place...10 years later I still enjoy going. Now mind you, I have always had several sets of friends with places to stay, on nice camping sites they own, or in campers or huge trailers. This hoe don't do tents, unless I'm pitching one. Or if the guy is real cute with a huge comfy tent and air mattress and such, well, I can over look that. That's a whole other naughty story. The campsites in this place, some of which are owned by the perms, which means,  some guys actually own them, so they really put the personality into their site... and you see everything. The group of guys when I was there did the tee pees above over the weekend. How freaking cool is that?  But even weekenders like above really go all out. I thought those tee pees were so fun.


I have often contemplated buying my own little camper to take up. How damn cute is this little air stream?!?!?! Gay camping and camping in general,  or hiking and pitching a tent over night is so fun. I have been to many locales, hotels, beaches and such, and I will say you will always meet the nicest people anywhere when camping...and a gay camp ground even more so. I have met some pretty nice guys here as you'll see tomorrow.
The Woods Campground prides itself greatly to be inclusive to everyone from day one. They are proud that all guests, no matter of age, size, gender, gender expression, self-identity, sexual orientation, skin color, national origin, religion, political beliefs or disability can feel welcome at their facilities. Their team of employees has also been built with this same consideration. The Woods Campground has rules and policies to maintain a safe and enjoyable experience for all their guests. Adherence to these rules, including non-discrimination against any person, is an expectation of all guests and employees.  Racism and discrimination have no place at The Woods Campground.  All guests are expected to treat each other as equals.  Any guest who fails to comply with this policy is not welcome,  as are  symbols of hate, discrimination or racism are not allowed. I think that is what makes this place so special.If you just walk around, many will invite you on the site, invite you to have a drink and next thing you know your meeting like 10 other people. With the pandemic, it's a bit more reserved now, but still much waving and talking from distance.
And I can't lie, my friend Wayne and his boyfriend have a golf cart which can make tours with a cock-a-tail quite fun since it's a huge campground to walk. And it also doesn't hurt he also has a double slushy machine.
The guys on this site made these bottle trees from their empty Sky Vodka bottles which also light up at night. Many in the campground now donate their bottles to them. Wayne also jokes if they were gin bottle trees, I'd have 20 by now. How cool are they though? What a great repurpose.
I think everyone should try glamping at least once. 

If this high maintenance, OCD princess can do it so can you. Enjoy life I say. You only live once after all, and if you do it right, once is enough.

35 comments:

  1. I just love that first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the rainbow teepees! and the blue bottle trees. all different types of campsites. I can see you in one of those tiny airstream glampers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the six little Indians staying there were all little cuties.

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous! We can't go camping right now. First the Rona (as my sister calls it) and now all of the wildfires. The air ain't fit to breathe! I can glamp vicariously through your pictures. It ain't the same but it'll do for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is about the only thing i can enjoy now safely. Once there you stay on your own site and never leave...so in some respects its still like being home. Right now the only difference is many are site hopping and visiting for obvious reasons. But still fun.

      Fires here are not a issue. It's pretty lush and green right now. If i had not gotten out anywhere yet since March...i don't think I'd be talking to you now.

      Delete
    2. See, Mads, that's where being an introvert comes in handy :) I may never venture out again! Now Balder is lucky to have an "essential" job. He would otherwise be driving me crazy with his overactive extroverted ass (not in a good way). I'm glad you have that outlet, sweetie.

      Delete
    3. I have two more trips planned up. Maybe I won't come back and become a mad crazy mountain queen who beats my laundry on rocks and distills gin!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I love that damn thing. Those guys are so fun too, but with the covid...are much low key now obliviously.like us all.

      Delete
    2. My parents had a VW Van--not Vanagon--when I was a wee queerling and I loved that thing!

      Delete
    3. Alas, I only ever had the Barbie version.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Maddie j'adore! Those little cabins and the flowers and trees. What a small paradise! And to see you prancing naked around the woods: Eden! What a lovely way to spend summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would SO love that place. So inclusive, so accepting. I wish we had something similar in this neck of the country. Then, again, I wish our entire country held those positions. Hopefully, after this election we can get back to reaching for that attitude as the norm. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out yesterdays post...you'd been proud of me! Oh and I KNOW you'd love this place. Two guys already said in their camping days have never seen a place like this.I can't say or compare it to anything as it's the only LGBTQ camp ground Ive been.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed all the pictures and the green!
    take care, xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I take that back. If we had a really nice site like some of these to stay I could probably go maybe three days there and enjoy it. I mean you wouldn't want to see naked men running around? Except maybe William. Yet again another nice post, and so nice to read about all the inclusiveness that they believe in.

    And I love the word portmanteau. I love saying it... PORTMANTEAU

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at double slush machine. How fun is this! Thanks for sharing more about this place. I have to go. I love camping... in a tent, even (I have a huge air mattress that covers the whole tent floor). I love planning camping trips and gathering everything needed. It's the old boy scout in me. The one thing I make sure to bring plenty of? Underwear. But it sounds like maybe it's not needed at this campground (or am I confusing it with another of your playgrounds?). Have a lovely weekend with your friends, dear. It's hard when people move away... but then, you just have a new place to go visit, am I right? Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two summers ago I had a very lovely time with a couple in their huge tent. The thing that happened on the air mattress. Underwear is good, and they often have theme nights at the disco when it's opened. It's temporarily closed right now with the covid. But most seem to just wear bath suits, underwear or nothing.

      Delete
  10. OHMYGAWWWWDDD
    I’m officially jealous. Now I wanna go glamping! I love love love that airstream. Is it a Bambi? I want one! I also want that WV truck? They don’t make them anymore.
    I love that place, so in touch with nature. Love how the gays have made it absolutely fab. The Vodka garden sculptures? Want one, too.
    I can imagine you had a blast in one of those teepees!

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is!!!!! I have seen them from $36,000 to $51,000. Let's say we go hafizes and split the weekends up???? Or we can just share the bed. I love them, and the Tear Drop campers, which I also love, are even smaller with just a bed and table, but perfect for weekend camping.

      I would have loved to have played in the tee pees, but with covid Im being a good boy.

      Delete
  11. Damn, that's a lot of vodka... are they every sober?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the your “word” thoughts...amazing how we make the language work for us! ...and compelling argument about trying glamping....probably a better fit for me than the more rugged options these days!
    ...and welcum back....trust you had a great time but you were missed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd find enough to keep you occupied their Luke.

      Delete
  13. Welcome back, Maddie.
    I've never been glamping but your pics make it look very attractive!

    Hope you feel refreshed and calm in your thoughts.
    There's nothing like a spell in nature to restore one's soul. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am for now!!!! It was so nice to be out in nature, and not to many around at the camp either. Their attendance is definitely down compared to what it is usually like, which helps.

      Hope your doing well

      Delete
  14. Those Tea-Pee's are tremendous. This looks like it was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful. The Air Stream reminds me of Cyndi Lauper. What a wonderful place to be, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was. And you don't need to be around anyone if you don't want. On my hikes, I might have seen three people and that's it.

      Delete
  16. Maddie....that airstream had your name all over it. Your very own little shake shack. I hope this is behind us next year....im so coming!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the looks of this place. The sights are so cute. And any place that has those kinds of inclusive rules is way pass good in my book. I will have to email you sometime about futher details. It's not all that far from me. And you ride around on a golf cart?!?!?!? LMAO!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If there’s a Heaven I imagine it’s like The Woods. Their philosophy is very admirable. But you better be careful Maddie. You make it sound so wonderful, your entire following will stampede the place next year. Who knows what will happen with a bunch of cabin fevered, sex starved people converging on The Woods!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am half tempted to grab two of my gay peeps and give this a whirl. But with my big ass I may need a double wide camper. It ain't fitting in those little airstreams or little pop up thingys.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two of our lesbian friends went three weeks ago, pitched a tent and loved it!!!! They felt very safe their to with the virus. Most people they saw were following guidelines very nicely.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!