Tuesday, August 25, 2020

COUNTRY HOUSE


One thing I have always loved about Bucks County, is that the county as a whole reminds me so much of the English countryside...especially when your in the Doylestown, New Hope, Buckingham , and the Makefields. There are many old horse and farming estates, and many a converted barn reno. It's also not uncommon to find huge country estate mansions that have been divided up into individual apartments. Just driving around it's fun to see the names of the homes, which most have names. My good friends Doug and Jamie, years ago bought Dueling Willows, a beautiful spigot of land that occupies 10 acres. They are some of my closest friends, and have been there for me in thick and thin. Doug is also the one who I sat for nude when he took up drawing in pastels the male form.  I was heart broken when they announced they'd be moving, due to Doug's job being cut in hours,  and Jamie losing his job altogether. They have since decided it's best to move and downsize. When the house went on the market, it sold in four days after going up....a lady from Texas bought it. I was happy but I can't lie, heartbroken too. I thought we'd have more time. I will miss them greatly and yet just another blow to take. I found this out the same week I got laid off, in addition to one of our friends passing away of Covid. So lately, between them and the Woods, they have been my rock.  So they been inviting me over to enjoy what will be our last days at their lovely pool and enjoy cock-a-tails, and soaking up the sun. I have also been on hand to help them get packed. 

Dueling Willows always reminded me of a quintessential country farm estate. It sits on 10 acres and  had humble beginnings. Started in 1847 as a simple stone house by Amos Subers, and evolving through the years into a proper country estate with history,  and majestic views of the rolling pastures from the main house, stone barn, and pool area.  Doug had done a wonderful custom kitchen crafted  with carefully designed cabinets, marble counter tops, brass fixtures, a Shaw farm sink, and I always loved the hand painted tile back splash, behind the stove, he and Jamie found on a trip to Spain once. I could just live in the kitchen I tell ya. It was always yet another home away from home, and I often had my own room if a drank to much or we were doing back to back pool days like last week. They were kind enough to let me take a few snaps.

The dears often had my cock-a-tail waiting when I arrived. They even had me bring mother once when she was visiting. Might be one time I really saw her plastered.

Just for Bob and Travel Penguin whom I know love kitchens

Doug also has a good eye for arranging such fun bric n brac. I loved this old doctors cabinet they got to hold their toiletries.

They just started packing and their dog Dakota is already exhausted.
The Master Suite
The house has four bedrooms...this was my room over the garage.
And always loved the bath, but alas never had a soak in the tub.

Thank goodness they will only be moving to New Hampshire, so it will be a drivable place to visit. The place as of today....
It seems like lately things are changing quite quickly since last summer... I took the Raven's closing pretty hard. New Hope is definitely not the same without the campy fun of the Raven. I don't know how to feel about things. I don't mind change, but have a hard time when multiple things hit at once. The people I trust the most and in my inner sanctum seem to be getting further away, geographically. It was always refreshing to know they were just a hop and skip for dinner, walks in New Hope, or just hanging out here or at their place.I made many a spectacle at Dueling Willows. I know my gams will miss their lovely pool.  

And they have said in no uncertain terms they will miss seeing my gams.

34 comments:

  1. what a lovely home. NH is close to p-town also. whatcha wanna bet the TX woman who bought the place is a real bitch? I wish your friends well in their new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same. But then Doug and his partner told me they were very picky who bought the place. They talked with her at length and even had dinner one night. They said she is pretty cool and is an artist. It's funny we both thought the same thing, lol!

      Delete
    2. an artist will fit in perfectly!

      Delete
  2. Very bestest of wishes to them!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I could move right in and never leave. I'd be like the Uninvited Guest in the Gorey story and just go from room to room enjoying all the gorgeous trinkets. And who's that pooch? Who's the good boy? And by that I mean you, dear Maddie, lounging in your Speedo by the pool. The dog is also cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a lovely and well appointed home!!!! I agree with Conde Arundel, I could move right in. That pool and kitchen are to die for. We just love Bucks County and we looked at home there but just out of our price range for what we wanted. There's a reason it's one of the most expensive counties in the country!!!!! This pandemic is sure to wreak havoc and change lifestyles drastically and quickly for many. Hang in there and at least you were able to enjoy some fun at least. Who wouldn't love that view? And by view, I mean your sexy gams!!!! But the views there are pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do they want to adopt me????? That home is so gorgeous.

    I also see you have your election year speedo on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...I would hate to leave that place. And I can certainly see why they would hate to leave. I have recently moved myself to a smaller apartment to save some money. I have no idea when the orchestra will be back playing yet.

    Bucks County certainly is picturesque. They don't call it Big Bucks County for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhh la la!!!!! At their house and those legs!!!!!

    Could you just imagine waking up everyday and looking out your window to those views? I only just went bad to work, and it's only part time...but the virus is no where near as bad here as in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous home! I need a stove like that...and the master bedroom ...and the pool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful home. When I heard a woman from Texas bought it my first thought was “uhh oh, a repuglican?” But I saw your reply to Anne Marie and that put me at ease a bit. I hope they enjoy their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like their taste with their home! And then you hit us with the sneaky Franks and Beans shot at the end. Always find a way to shoehorn in some wieners onto you page, and it's always hilarious. Glad you had a good time staying with your buddies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to keep you on your toes, Franks and beans!!!!!!! bwahahahaha!!!!!

      Delete
  11. A truly stunning home. It will be hard to leave it behind I'm sure.

    Life has thrown some curveballs for a lot of us recently.
    Take care. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a beautiful house, with a gorgeous kitchen - I'd find it very difficult to leave.
    Ack, you are having a hard time. I often wish time would stop - generally somewhere in the past.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  13. They should have sold you with the house henny as a houseboy! Oh gurl! A lovely house and I sure can love it, but I'm so use to my little one room studio/hole in the wall, Ill probably die here henny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not working right now, and bored!!!! I should come to visit you. I miss seeing and being in Bucks County. That house is spectacular. Of all the things I liked the Stork Club ashtray. Ahhhhhhhhh, hopefully one day....

    boy, your looking good this summer for all the eating your doing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Stork Club ashtray caught my eye, too. I assume it's from the once-famous Manhattan night club where Walter Winchell and all the other Broadway columnists used to hang out.

      Delete
  15. i had to do a double take. i saw all those flasks and thought it was your nightstand.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such unfortunate news but I wish them both well. What a beautiful place they had. I'm sure their next place, although not as large, will be just as beautiful. They clearly know what they're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's the biggest urine sample I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when you drink THAT MUCH gin, ya gotta pee big. and as maddie always says, "go big or go home!"

      Delete
    2. Well MJ, Im hoping the Infomaniac Lab will be open soon for Covid and other testing soon. So i thought I better give a big enough sample.

      Delete
  18. Oh wow, what a lovely place! 💛💜💛💜

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. What a grand and majestic place. I love it! I miss the greenery there - but not the bugs in the Summer, nor the cold of Winter. There's a certain acoutremente at the pool there I most certainly like and it's a most lovely part of the scenery! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you'd love it here. And I have to say the bugs this year as far as flies, gnats and such have no been bad at all. Lately the weather has been near perfect. We are extremely lucky here in PA that we have normal weather, and not constant disaster after disaster. The last two weeks especially have been near prefect weather.

      Delete
  20. I love Bucks County. Since I'm not working right now, I took a train out to Doylestown twice. It's so darn pretty out there. It's so close to Philly, yet seems like a whole different world.

    Your friends home is truly gorgeous. I would miss that place too. Hell, even I would fit in that tub!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my...I think I need to come down to see you maybe next. That home is so pretty. I think it's neat when homes have name like that too. I know the feeling all too well about moving. I think I too am going to sell the house and look for an apartment.

    Ah there those legs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Breathtaking home! It must have been hard to leave after putting so much love into that place.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Boy , it must be nice to have good taste. I wonder if any of my places will ever look like that?

    ReplyDelete
  24. i liked the tub best

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your friends place is GAWD GESS!!!! All that land and area to spread. I love that living room. I also see your filling out speedo. Let that thing out!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!