Thursday, August 27, 2020

DON'T GET IT

Don't get me wrong...I have always loved and adored RuPaul. Always have , he's paved the way for many and bought drag to the fore front. Although I do worry she may over expose drag, with too many shows.  But I will say lately I feel like coming for her, and not in a good way. He has definitely not scored points with me lately...I mean girl has covered and tighter lips then Valentina lip-synching. Ru has stayed quiet on social media about the Black Lives Matter movement and police brutality protests,  trans lives matter issues,  and violence   towards them.  No one really knows why Ru disappeared from social media and wiped all platforms.... everything clean.  All this comes on the heals of the fracking that was also going on , on his ranch...which was a beef with me too, since he says he is supposedly "environmentally  conscience". 
Many of those sources say it’s because Ru didn’t want to say the wrong thing and get read to filth for it. RuPaul’s Instagram account still exists, it’s just empty. Ru’s Twitter account is just like his face and hair at the Season 12 Drag Race virtual finale:  non-existent. Some say Ru wanted to “disengage” as the conversations around BLM grew louder and more “overwhelming.” Even at the Emmys was a Black journalist,  Danielle Young, who questioned RuPaul backstage in the press room over the lack of racial diversity and representation in the production staff of RuPaul’s Drag Race. Ru didn’t really like that question, and sort of dismissed Danielle. I call bullshit.  Is this really the right time to stay quite, since he himself fits into many of these molds? What puzzles me the most as not only a part of the LGBTQ community , but a supporter for all, is if your in a position of power like RuPaul to represent not only gay and trans rights, but also black lives and the most endangered right now,  black trans women, and you have such a huge platform and could do such, why isn't he using it? Why is he not using his platforms on social media to get the message around, and educating? I have heard nothing on any of these fronts. Instead of bring us a fucking show surrounding his Vegas show, how about a more educational show, or something of more importance. You have a platform...USE IT.  I don't get it.  I keep hearing more horror stories of his attitude behind the scenes. I just don't get it. I keep hearing more about how she should be called Rude Paul, and how she is extremely rude to them. You’re not allowed to talk to him unless told to. But that is a whole other story that's not important to me. It just blows my mind, how he is totally dropping the ball on this. And don't get me started on the trans topic with him either, where more and more black trans women are at danger then ever before. Just two weeks ago in Hollywood three more were harassed and beaten , even when cops were called, they came, but did nothing. 

Some of the club personalities I know, have said he has gotten out of touch. For someone years ago claiming all should be heard and represented, then why does she continue to limit the talent on the show? Where are the drag kings? Or the girls who are transitioned already?  To date there have only been 7 or 8 queens on, but their transitions didn't happen till after the show was complete. I don't get it.
The latest to speak out is fan favorite and one of it's most iconic queens Detox. ‘Enough with the feigned inclusivity. Time to start putting your money where your mouth is. ’She added: ‘It’s not about political correctness, it’s about the conscious exclusion of an integral part of the drag community. I wouldn’t be where I am if it weren’t for the trans performers that took me under their wings, and they deserve the same kinds of opportunities.’ When Ru was asked one time, on whether he would except a fully transitioned dragtestant, he was quoted as saying "Probably not". ‘You can identify as a woman and say you’re transitioning, but it changes once you start changing your body. It takes on a different thing; it changes the whole concept of what we’re doing. ‘We’ve had some girls who’ve had some injections in the face and maybe a little bit in the butt here and there, but they haven’t transitioned.’ On a side note I also have yet to see any comment on the passing of Chi Chi or the close to homeless situation with Stacy Layne Matthews. Maybe these girls are just meal tickets for mama? Instead of more Drag Race, I would love to see some other kind of show from RuPaul, more like the queens from We're Here are doing...fun, educating and changing minds and still get to see a show.
Wake up RuPaul....your getting pass your use by date. For someone being so woke, I think your falling asleep.Now is not the time to be quiet.

27 comments:

  1. Ohhhh GURRRLL...
    This tea is scalding. And I'm with you here. Especially when it comes to the use of one's platform to advance social change. Yes, Ru has brought Drag and queer performers to the living rooms of middle America and thousands and thousands of queer kids have seen someone like them for the first time on their screens. That's fantastic. Ru has brought personalities with wide social media outreach to the show and that's made it even more popular. But where is the activism? The Ru of today is not the Ru of the nineties. That Ru was punk rock and an activist. I think that now there's more people involved (the production team at WOW, where, BTW, there IS representation behind the vaseline-smeared lenses) and that kind of muzzles Ru. She's become part of a business enterprise and it's not just her opinions but those of the people behind the 'brand'.
    Her disappearing from social media (I think Michelle is still active in some) may have to do with burnout or with a desire to stay neutral. I don't know.
    What I do know is that Drag Race is going to eventually change or branch out to be more inclusive. And I'm here for it.

    XOXO

    P.S. you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a agree with what you said too. I do think she should rock the boat on many levels and be the trail blazer we knew and love. But I shoot my mouth off, and have loss things in the past, but if it's for a good cause...then so be it. I have very few friends anymore who watch drag race because it been on past the sell by date and it's the same old. To us, it's like old news, but to middle America it's something still new. I think the LGBTQ wants to se some freshness to the show and the branching out. If she gets a drag king on....IM SO THERE FOR THAT!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. P.S I think your pretty awesome too.

      Delete
    3. I think you’re both awesome 😉

      Delete
  2. Like you I too have, and will always love RuPaul, I mean she is fun as hell. But she needs to take a page from Marsha P Johnston's or Sylvia Rivera's books. I have heard like Sixpense said, I think she feel muzzled. But screw that. I realized she has all white men in power behind the scenes, but time to speak girl....that is what being a trailblazer is all about. That why I like Lady Bunny. She is way outspoken and tells it like it is. And remembers where she came from and didn't need the powerhouse of sensational tv to preserve or promote drag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree. That is why I LOVE Lady Bunny. She will entertain, but girl is smart as hell and is outspoken and will tell you to fuck off if she needs too. I think that why some feel Ru sold out to join the industry like so many, now can't say anything too loudly...god forbid she rock the boat. Many would rather do their thing, and keep their groundings. It's apart of the reason Bunny doesn't do much with the show. And that's rises yet another point....the judges. I can understand a celebrity as one. but have always thought the other judge should be a another well known drag queen like say Bunny or Amanda Lepore, Charles Busch, Candis Cayne or the like. Like on Canada's Drag Race. I can see Brook Lynn, but what in hell qualifies the other two too judge drag??????

      Delete
  3. As a straight female who love RuPaul and followed his Instagram, I was way puzzled why he's been quiet on these matters???? I too am starving for her to do a more educational show or a more documentary style show about drag queens instead of having drag queens go at each other, or make them jump through circus hoops. It's getting old. But then you'd watch if there's no fighting, cattiness or sensations? American tv has gotten very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GURL......I never thought I'd see you swipe at the Queen?!?!?!?! Have you been hanging with Bunny too much????

    You know where I stand with this charlatan. Thank goodness her girls are more woke and involved. Much like Madonna of the 90's, the RuPaul of the 90's is dead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her silence is deafening.
    She has the platform and should use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote her off when I found out about the lack of diversity behind the scenes at her show. Then, when she had that sitcom? I got excited. Then I watched most of it... and it was tired. Old cliche's about gay folk and nothing real. All fake. Just like, well... RuPaul. I remember when she was promoting her book and how it was all about valuing yourself for who you are. Then the fracking thing. I guess that was the final straw for me, really, now that I think of it. Clueless people take money for doing nothing... well, nothing except destroying the environment. So, Ru was smart to fall off social media. All she cares about is the paycheck. Why risk being a real person? Sad. Such potential. And such a great platform. She could do so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. are we finally getting Bianca Del Rio’s Drag Race??? 😱

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm I don't think VH1 would like the show to switch to HBO OR the like!!!!!!!

      Could you imagine!!!!!!

      Delete
  8. RuPaul has never really been a social media person largly, he’s said so himself. But I agree with his good and power he could and SHOULD use the platform even to share information Also, we all know that he’s tired of the show and being in drag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting read. Haven't watched in
    a while. But haven't watched a lot of
    old favorites.
    take care, xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh henny.....when you open the tea you spill it gurl.!!!

    Just like all famous people he wants the coin now and that's it. I remember seeing gaga in clubs before she hit big. She said she would never do main stream...we see how that went. I have major respect for the new york queens like Varla, Sherry Vine, Jackie Beat... Bunny and Hedda who are the real mover and shakers and in drag for the fun of it and can still preach gurl.

    Rupaul just wants to frack in peace, trans free henny.✌

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch! Aren't you being a bit harsh on Ru??? After all he's done for drag and his bravery and you are mad because he isn't on social media? Yes he could use his platform and is choosing not too. I think that's his prerogative don't you? And I find the show very across the board with various types of queens. I don't think Ru needs this flack. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you missed the point of what I was saying.

      I do love and always will love RuPaul and no doubt she is a good role model and done invaluable things for drag and the LGBTQ. I just think since she is such a inspiration, now is the time more than ever younglings and queens will look for and want to see the likes of her speaking up and out. Being silent in my mind, even though she is not, comes across as not be interested anymore. And I have to respectfully disagree with the show. While it is highly entertaining...white, black and Asian, with a pinch of Latin does not make for a diversified show. I think it's terrible complete trans queens or drag kings and others have not been represented yet by season 12. And the queens have to be polished and have a huge budget to get on the show. Where is the everyday, small town queens with weekly shows???? In my opinion the last couple seasons have been all high profile queens or Instagram queens with HUGE followings. Queens like Heidi N Closet, Latrice Royale and Stacey Layne who were well known in their towns but not nationally are the only queen I'm talking about I'd like to see more of, in addition to some other parts of the drag community. Give these queens a boost.

      Delete
  12. WOW! No question Ru has done much good and paved the way for many. That said, I agree...I feel we need her now more then ever. And I'll leave that there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No body loves RuPaul more than me and the show is great. BUT as a black trans female....That Rupaul would rather delete his social media accounts than speak on difficult issues is so not alright in my book and quite frankly shocked me. "Everybody say 'love'" only goes so far...people are wanting to see actions to match up with words. But I still love her and everything she has done don't get me wrong. But why not join up in just one protest?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's easy enough to be complacent after you have the protection of money and family to shield you from the big ugly world. Someone with that level of fame should make an effort to give back and to help others less fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here is my take on Ru - bitch is old and over it. And now that he's been commercialized and exploited all to hell, that system is going to try to wring him out of every last drop and throw him away, the way they did Tony Bourdain. The parallel can be drawn. That man was broken, and I think Ru, at his age, after all he's done for us, is sick of the shit and backing away, as every human person has an absolute right to do. He come up a bitch backstage? Honey, you reach a certain age you come up a bitch PERIOD. He's being wrung by Big Entertainment just like Tony was. I hope Ru gets out alive, and gets his private life back, and can finish out his days knowing how many lives he saved and how much joy he has brought without being USED UP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always count on you to calls it as you sees it!!!! No, and your right as well. I can see that. I'd be tired too. Hell, some days I'm am so tired of fighting for this or that, or this cause or that cause...I just want it to end. But yet somehow I can't give up yet and still muster energy from who knows where to continue. Course I don't answer to 12 white men either.

      Delete
  16. Anonymous8/27/2020

    I feel like she hasn't been the same on the last few seasons of drag race, I've seen it... she seems lower in energy and I wouldn't be super surprised if she left drag race soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is what Ru Paul had to say to The Advocate in 2016 regarding BLM:

    "And so I support doing what makes you feel good about yourself, feel that you’re not powerless. But is that [sic] solution? I’m not sure. I’m not sure if that’s the ultimate — because if you really sort it through, there is a solution. There is a solution. I’m not sure if those were the solutions."

    A bit of equivocating. Quite strange if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I understand that a lot of drag performers see drag strictly as an art form, but you can't tell me it doesn't also attract those who genuinely struggle with gender identity, and thus it's been a safe haven for many over the years. But not everyone can be a drag performer. RuPaul should acknowledge that and speak out for those who can't, even if he personally doesn't identify with such people. As the late, great Marsha P. Johnson once said, we're all in this rat race together.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!