Sunday, December 11, 2022

ROLF'S

 

When I was in NYC last week, one of the first places we went on Sunday night was Rolf's. And don't let the outside fool you. It is dubbed the "city's most festive restaurant" due to its extra few baubles, bangles and beads, for the holidays. 


Rolfs has been a Gramacy Park staple for close to 50 years. Passer-bys and locals don't just come for the decor but the food, made and served with a Teutonic flare, although the staff can get a bit surly. The menu consisted of Bavarian German dishes like Schnitzel, Sauerbraten, Bratwurst, sausage platters and more. Although the main dishes may take up to 2 hours, the drinks flow...and are readily available. One of the largest wine and beer selections in the city...featuring local varietals and from other countries. Not to mention a huge selection of German beers. The bar also offers copious amounts of spiced egg nog, mulled wine and hot apple cider.

But the interior at Rolf's is very over the top and very kitschy. Think hundreds of thousands of lights, ornaments and icicles all strung and lined throughout the joint. There are hundreds of porcelain dolls and wreaths, artificial fir trees, garland and ribbons and bits and bobs everywhere. Coco Chanel make not have approved. But the kitsch and all, Rolf's Victorian -style decor is what makes this place popular, and the line sometimes around the block...even maybe more so over the food. Rolf Hoffman initially founded the place in 1968 and is a strictly German joint. After his death in 1981, his partner Robert, and staff member decided to keep the place alive as per Rolf's wishes. It you like Christmas don't miss this place, and I understand the decor stays up till April...so you can take all the finery in if you miss it in December.

Beware it is packed. I think I felt my very own wienerschnitzel grabbed a few times.

36 comments:

  1. Sorry, that's a little too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I thought you could handle a lot of balls at once?

      I was flabbergasted when I walked in.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering if this is some of your work? It is Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit much for me, nice to see once...but the food was DELISH! What queen doesn't like to nosh on a foot long????????????

      Delete
  3. I had Uncle Rolph.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, talk about over-the-top Christmas! I'd love to go once just to see the decor. I have German-Swiss heritage but -- true confession time -- I don't really enjoy typical Germanic food. I find it tends to be heavy, sometimes greasy, and way too meat-based. On the other hand, I love fondu and Black Forest cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me...it can never be too meat-based!!!!! But I with you on the fondu and Black Forest Cake! And yes, nice to see and experience. Once.

      Delete
  5. " I think I felt my very own wienerschnitzel grabbed a few times."

    wouldn't surprise me with such a prominent piece of meat on display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MM#1 Fan did comment- "Look, it's like Maddie on a plate."

      Delete
  6. Bun-Bun12/12/2022

    I never saw this place in person, or a place with more balls than my corner glory hole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha!! Way too over the top for me!! Too much Christmas!!! It's giving me a migraine!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had gone in drunk, I might have thought I was hallucinating.

      Delete
  8. The decorations in this tiny place are AMAZING...really puts you in the Holiday spirit. A drink at the bar would have been sufficient, but we can say we all went and that was enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And let's face it, you boys would rather see the Mistress's balls! Much better.

      Delete
  9. HOLY BALLS BATMAN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The decorations look great, if a bit much... it's like an over-the-top Grotto. I think a drink at the bar would be all I could handle. And we know I love balls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A bit busy even for me. Was the schnitzel well pounded.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a wonderful place! I would say baroque!
    and the dishes look delicious, but high in calories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m sure you can well imagine how much work goes into that every year. Holy moly! But that would be a bit too much visual stimulation for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was for me too Mitchell. I was ready to leave when we were done eating.

      Delete
  14. That's enough to put me off my food. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hence the heavy, copious amounts for drink.

      Delete
  15. Oh my goodness! That's CRAZY but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's a German restaurant up in Henderson that is quite like that. Over decorated, but festive, all year long and then Christmas comes and it's madness all around. And the food? oy!! I may have to look for this place the next time we're in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the best place I'd ever been, but it was a experience, just once.

      Delete
  17. I didn't remember the place till I saw that portrait in the last shot!!! We ate their many years ago . I recall the meal being very heavy but pretty tasty. We. weren't in at Christmas, otherwise William might have reached his expiration date right then on the spot. A few bits and bob?!?!?!?!??!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous12/12/2022

    Big says,
    Holy..... That's a lot of beads! Weren't you afraid they'd fall on your head???? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't be the first time balls hit me on the head!!!!

      Delete
  19. Glad I don't have to hang all those baubles up

    ReplyDelete
  20. Torrie would be endlessly entertained by those decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous12/12/2022

    Tundra Bunny here... Rolf's looks a little too claustrophobic for my taste. Sounds like you managed to get outta there with your schnitzel in one piece though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Too much is never too much... this is so much fun. Hope you had a lovely time. Color me green with envy.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!