Wednesday, December 14, 2022

BRIAR

 
It must have been around 2018 that I met Briar Blush on trips to Boston when I was still sort of seeing the Prince Charming. Briar is Boston's Latina Pinup Princess, a passion for fashion and is a talented makeup artist with MAC as a cosmetics artist. I can really appreciate her technique for makeup, it being close to my own when I did drag, and she breaks away from the hard lined contour look that just about 85% of drag queens follow. And her weekly show is also breaking some typical drag shows. Her weekly show is tiled The Briar and Rusty Show....a weekly drag burlesque show with a drag king! It's a pretty cool show to see, and kudos to Briar for having a show with a drag king. Most of the time kings are reduced to their own show or venues. Drag to Briar is about breaking down different references and layering different parts of herself, as well as things that inspire one and refracting that through a queer lens. To her drag can also be about validating different aspects of yourself and getting more comfortable with them through the stage, performance and visuals. Her style and drag aesthetic get me shook. Kudos to her for not following in the contour cookie cutter recipe.  You get just GLAM.

13 comments:

  1. I take it that Rusty is the drag king! Love to see some photos of him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Those black shoes!!!! You'll poke somebody's eye out kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is spectacular! I've not heard of her before. That dripping purple gown is stunnnning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to see Rusty, too. She’s perfection. I love the look on roller skates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, what?
    Beauty, glam and camp? Sign me up! And I can see why she's a MUA. That mug is BEAT!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12/15/2022

    Pat Lark says,
    The type of drag look I prefer over the harsh contoured. As Six says, Beauty, glam and camp? Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The high Contour thing is nice and only started as a technique three or four drag queens, and now look at it ....I think that's why the general public has such a hard time distinguishing so many queens from one another. I bet if you can name drag queens they all have their own individual style and look.

      Delete
  7. All my faves in one queen, and then toss in those black shoes? Honey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking at those black shoes made me wince; one step and I'd be on a waiting list (of several years) for a replacement hip or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think you should try at least once Helen, I have my dad's old Zimmer frame you could use for support!

      Delete
    2. Cheeky! I have my own walker thank you very much!

      Delete
  9. the light blue dress makes her a mermaid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a gorgeous face! I'd kill for her figure.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!