Friday, December 30, 2022

FAREWELL, DOUGLAS

I'd be remiss if I didn't pay tribute to an awesome man and friend. It was a tough year losing a second aunt, and then one of my favorite cousins in the same year, and then two months ago lose a dear friend. I met Doug Langway up in the Pocono Mountains at the Woods Campground through my good friend Wayne, who I generally stay with. We quickly connected, A very unlikely alliance some might say. An ex- twink, and drag queen, on way to Otter and a huge, hairy bear!!! But we had some very deep, if not drunken talks around the campfire, and he gave me sage advice many a time. Doug was an enthusiastic character, in all things, a whirlwind of color. From the moment he entered a scene, he was quick to share about his latest passions- food, work, stories and ideas. He was lavish in his hugs, kisses and compliments, and created a warm presence where even strangers felt like friends. Doug was quick witted, carefree and a lot mischievous. He'd regale of his days in the NYC club scene, knowing most of the drag queens and club kids on the scene, and canon-balls into the Woods pool, and on more than one occasion, known to take a rickshaw ride through NYC when he'd had to many. He was always flirting with anyone, but his heart belonged to his dear hubby from down under Joseph, who is also just as sweet . Doug had actually proposed to Joseph over his tablet. Joseph was in Australia, and Doug in Time Sqaure. Once they connected online, Doug, with a few hundred people behind him asked Joseph to be his husband on one of the biggest screens in the square!! I post it on the blog once. Doug never did anything small.

Doug with friend Roger

And it seems no matter where I go, Doug was a titan in the Bear community, as I have not met a bear yet that doesn't seem to know him. He, with his friend Roger, were very incremental in throwing open the doors of the bear community and showing a whole other side to this part of the LGBT subculture. Doug actually went on to write, and eventually direct the Bear City series of films that have become iconic to practically the whole bear community, finally giving them their due. These movies showcased the lives of USA bear pretty perfectly. One of the films was even filmed at the Woods and he had Kathy Najimy in two of them. 

Doug, with hubby Joseph. Joseph is also a knitter and knitted that sweater!

And yes...it was a real bear!!!!! Trained for the movie , of course.

Before the movies, Doug always had a passion for the creative arts, and led him to found SharpLeft, a creative agency serving the likes of Diane Von Furstenberg, Patron, Josh Cellers, Sky Vodka and many others. After 20 some years of successful business, in 2018 Doug became the president and CEO, and it's where the studio part came into the business. That same year was when he married his hubby Joseph, the love of his life. They spent much time enjoying a new home they bought and were doing a full reno on their new home in Wilton Manors, FL, and the rest of the late spring and summer, glamping in the Woods in the Pocono Mountains. Doug will always be best known for his work as the writer and director of the Bear City series of movies though, I suspect, where they garnered many a Best Picture at movies festivals worldwide. But I feel lucky and honored to have seen other sides of him, and really got to known him. There will be a huge hole left at the Woods next summer, and I wonder still who will do the cannon balls?

34 comments:

  1. Love his smile. And if he was no longer a twink, he still had a twinkle in his eyes. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, I'm not sure Doug was ever a twink.

      Delete
  2. I love so much your tribute. R.I.P. for a well lived life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tribute. I made me feel like I knew him. I remember that proposal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When he told me his proposal video was on YouTube I went to watch it and I told him many of time he's the only person that can bring tears to my eyes. That was quite a feat.

      Delete
  4. Always sad to lose a good friend. RIP. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too feel like I knew him from your lovely tribute. You can sense from the pictures he was a wily rascal. The picture of him and his husband is just lovely. It was another year of death for many. I sure hop it wasn't the Covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agnes, I don't think Doug had an off switch. That boy could drink all day and still hang till 2:00 to 3:00 in the morning. His passing happen very quickly from a rare liver disease. They had only detected it about a month before he passed.

      Delete
  6. Cap Chasen12/30/2022

    I consider myself a bearling at this age, and I was very sorry to hear of the loss of Doug Langway. He and Roger were both , as you say titans in the bear community from very early on. They threw the doors open and said we aren't hiding anymore and showed the world our beauty, all side of it!!! Im sure both will have a place when bear history culture is discussed. We have a lot to owe them both. I would have loved to have heard some of your conversations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By time my new dog he was a very large boy. And he didn't mind and he loved himself just the way he was. He let it all hang out!

      Delete
  7. My heart breaks every time I hear od a fun-loving soul's passing. Then I am reminded of the joy they brought and I smile again. Beautiful post dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had only met Doug (and Joe) a couple of times while they were working on their house here in Wilton Manors. The house was four houses from ours. He beamed a sense of goodness that showed through his smile and demeanor. He will be missed in this community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish you could have gotten to know them even better Jimmy. Those two were the funniest two men. And they're banter back and forth used to crack me up, because Joseph was a complete opposite of Doug., which only made the banter even funnier.

      Delete
  9. He seemed like a genuinely kind guy. I'm not a bear but loved his series of movies. Doug with the bear had me laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I had known him,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12/30/2022

    Pat Lark says,
    Damn shame. Very nice tribute you've done for him. He'll live on in his films but more so in the hearts and minds of all the folks up at The Woods. Who will do the cannon balls? You're Mistress Maddie...appoint someone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm sure the mistress's testicles could fill in as cannonballs

      Delete
  12. That was lovely. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG I had no idea Doug passed. I remember Bear City from so long ago, back when Logo actually showed LGBT content. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My condolences, honey. It's hard to lose someone so special.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful tribute to your friend Doug. Clearly he was a man who enjoyed life, embraced it and lived large. His loss will be keenly felt by many, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That look on Doug's face in the first photo just screams mischief and merriment, and I now have a big grin plastered across my face despite your sad news. A lovely tribute, Maddie, and I'm sorry for your loss.
    R.I.P. Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two good words for Doug- Mischief and Merriment.

      Delete
  17. Too many reminders of our own mortality.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous12/30/2022

    Tundra Bunny here... You've crafted a wonderful tribute to your friend Doug, Maddie! As Debra She Who Seeks said, his loss will be keenly felt by all who knew him and delighted in his company.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful and eloquent post. He sounds like he was an absolute riot! Many of my peeps who are bears are very familiar with that movie and I even watched one and two at their house. They were very entertaining movies light and funny. I can honestly say up to that point, gay movies only ever featured all white, chiseled hot white boys or very stunning black men. Very seldom did you ever see a whole movie dedicated to the heavy man and bears, or the love of big boys loving big boys or bear Chasers. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never met Doug, but many of my bear friends definitely know who he is, I'm very familiar with his movies I've seen all three. They were great, and he even used a lot of everyday people in the movies which was even better. A fun Soul inside and out. I can only imagine the void of him up at your glamping grounds. I hope his partner is finding peace and comfort. What a beautiful picture of the two of them. And what a Knitter he is that sweater is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To my knowledge his hubby Joseph is going back to Australia.

      Delete
  21. Nicely written
    I’m so very sorry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry for your losses, my dear. Onto another year... take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. MAJOR loss for the Bear community

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never met Doug, know nothing about him but a genuine aura of joy and love just exudes him. R. I. P. Big fella. X

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!