Sunday, December 12, 2021

DECK THE HALLS

Well kids, can you believe it's that time of year again already? I feel as though I was just putting my pumpkins and turkeys out in the autumn, and now it's time to deck the halls of the Casa du Borghese. My inspiration for my own decorating has always been a combination of old vintage pieces from my grandmothers, items that were gifted to me, and a few new pieces. All my decorations are about bringing about memories of family or friends, and past memories, and that's why I like decorating, as it brings about those memories of that person and good times past. Sort of like a little ode to that person each year, and a way of remembering them. Most years I deck out the Casa and as a regular reader will tell you, most of my friends nickname my place the Red-Light District, as my tree is decked out in nothing but all red lights and balls of all different red tones and sizes, with my clip bird collection. Not to mention all the other red all over the house. Always seems to be fitting...me and red! This year since I won't be at the Casa du Borghese but two weekends, I couldn't see spending hours hauling the big tree out, and I was very hard pressed not to. So, I curated carefully what I wanted to put out. And for many reasons, this year it seemed fitting, and I was happy with the results. Lumbersexual stopped in when I did the decorating last week, and he loved all the balls. Every year, most seem to enjoy seeing my balls all over the house, and it's the simplest thing to do. And nothing better than lights and candles. Don't you just love the glow Christmas lights on a tree can bring? Nothing easier than how cozy a home can feel at Christmas then Christmas lights and tons of candles. And when it comes to candles, my place is like a seance. I have candles lit galore. Couse, my mother always worries one day I'll go up and out like Claudia Blazedale at the La Mirage on Dynasty. This year's tour of some of the sights...

My tree usually goes up in this corner by the window, but the little tree I put in the boudoir was put in the corner this year with two antique carolers that were a gift from the The Dame.
Just some of my bottle brush collection. New, old, and most from friends and my grandmother's collection.
Old Shiny Brites and two new handsome, square bird ornaments that were a gift from the Fabulous Agnes Goldberg De-Woofs this year. They were waiting for me last time home and were quite the surprise.  THANK- YOU AGNES!!! You're such a thoughtful soul. I just had to place these with these treasured balls, since I didn't put out the tree. 

A fabulous coffee table book, and one of my favorites from the talents of Tomass Hawkke. 

My treasured Christmas Pyramid, one of three from my aunt Barbara and uncle Jack.

One of many, many bird ornaments and another from Agnes last year. This one hangs on the berry sprigs on the coffee table. I couldn't bare not to place some about.
The wall collages continue, in the hallway. A mix of black and white architectural photography and framed prints of Rene Gruau's work that I adore

I saw these ornaments at the farmers market one day and couldn't resist them. A local lady made these. I thought they were cool looking and love the use of wood scraps.
Some early card arrivals. I love displaying cards from friends far and near.
The butcher block island I did a small assortment of glass balls old and new, as well as all the apothecaries around the kitchen. A bell jar with bottle brushes and my treasure red earth ware vase with pine to feature some of the bird ornaments that are usually on the tree.
Nutcrackers. OUCH!

A drawer with measure spoons and such. I might have a problem with measuring utensils.
When my neighbor came over to bring my mail packages, his cat Virgil slipped in and made himself at home. quite quickly.
I even placed a few Christmas touches on the terlet in the bath. Those pink tear drops ornaments are ancient.
In the boudoir...blue balls reign supreme. And they are probably the oldest balls in the place. My grandmother loved all blue and white at Christmas.
Of course, I had to get Prancer ready for the holidays.
Some vintage bowties that were my paternal grandfathers that I placed in this shadow box.

That's the tour this year.... and some of the sights. And the lumbersexual even inspired me to try my best butch lumbersexual look for the season. But I can think of other things to swing other than a ax.

Have you decked the halls yet?

67 comments:

  1. You know what...Red Light District or not, it still, as always looks warm and welcoming as always. And those ornaments Agnes sent you are stunning.

    And you do butch very well indeed my dear. Swing that axe! I'd watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and those are the only blue balls to be found in that bedroom for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at the opening picture. I think this post is always among one of my favorites for me, as it does evoke Christmas memories from years past when I was young. And it's refreshing to see someone keep keepsakes and traditions going and not fall to the wayside. Everything is there for a reason.

    And loved Prancer. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look at each ornaments and such represent something. This year I'm will be hanging a metal measure cup. To represent creative in a kitchen.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like candle wax dripping on the balls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is beautiful and festive. Your creativity ignites the warmth of holiday cheer. And I like the lumbersexual look...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have to have your old vintage balls on show for everyone to look at. Jx

    PS "Wall collages" are our forte here at Dolores Delargo Towers, and it's always fun shifting them around every now and then - ours are (mainly) autographs and accompanying photos; the most recent additions being Dora Bryan, Georgina Hale and Tyne Daly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see, I have plenty of space yet for more art and photography. I think your wall collages sound simply lovely.

      Delete
  8. I love the decorations; so many fun odds'n'ends in every corner.
    I especially like blue balls ... well, you know wat I mean ... and have done all blue in the past though it's been a while. I, too, like things that mean something, that are gifts from someone, or passed down from parents and grandparents.
    Very pretty tour, even the visiting Virgil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love blue and white. It's so calming and wanted to do it one year...buy the red apeases me bad side I guess.

      Delete
  9. Wow, you have a lovely home. And I noticed some very nice gins. No rot gut there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very, very nice. If I ever decide to hire a Christmas decorator, I'll give you a call.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another magnificent display. I’m sorry you’ve got blue balls 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly doubt, the last thing he has is blue balls.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I agree, no chance the mistress has blue balls. Raw red if anything.

      Delete
    3. Y'all are nuts. Thank goodness the only real blue balls are that of glass.

      Delete
  12. Everything you touch and have is lovely; how fortunate to live in such a place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's small, but I don't require a lot of space and it's just as comfy as I want it. A compliment coming from yourself Spo. Cheers to the yuletide season.

      Delete
  13. Yes, I can see your OCD. All your measuring things seem to be in a drawer together!!! I love it.

    This is my first time seeing your place at the holidays...I love all the smaller trees, instead of a big one. Your bottle brush trees are beautiful, and I love how you used them. Shiney Brites bring back such fond memories. Excited to be on this tour with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I say I just adore the bedroom? LOVE THE BOWTIES!!!

    I loved your all-red tree in years past, and always love your Christmas home sights. The red does suit you. But your smaller trees and touches and styling are incredibly inspirational still. Love your touches of red though still. And dear you do drag, pretty boy, and yes, even lumberjack sexy very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your balls, and other decorative items. The Casa looks so warm, friendly, comfortable, classy. I'll know in about 22 minutes, how Twin 1 did in the CNN Hero Competition, but she sent me a very interesting photo of someone dreamy she met in the Green Room that I'll be posting in a day or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirley!!! And I'm keeping your daughter in my good vibes for the CNN Hero of the Year..GOOD LUCK TO HER!

      Delete
    2. SHE WON! CNN 2021 Hero of the Year.

      Delete
    3. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Im so happy for your daughter Shirley! What a touching speech too! I can't believe it! HEY EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Shirley's daughter, also named Shirley, won the CNN HERO OF THE YEAR AWARD!!!! Head over to Boots and Braids to read the good news!!!!!

      So happy for you and your daughter Shirley! May she continue her good works. This is a good example of the love in the blog community.

      Delete
    4. OMG!!!!! She's your daughter? You must be proud?!? I saw that tonight online. Congrats to your daughter.

      Delete
    5. WOW! That is AMAZING.

      Delete
  16. Red or blue...your place is always the Red-Light District to me.

    Love the pus! And those baubles Agnes sent are so pretty. You make me want to decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cool to see your place, looks so warm and festive. My cards I get I display too, and it's often my only decorations, lol. And can I have those jeans?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the kitchen. I too like bottle brush trees. Had you not enough time, you could have just hung your drag jewelry about, and it would have still been sparkly. Well done Mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is gorgeous!!! I was grabbing and saving photos to share, and I found myself saving them all. And I love those ornaments you found at the market. How creative is that? Very unique. I have always loved Prancer and how you deck him out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm with Grandmama! White and Blue. I always had this annual holiday party to throw - catered, decor, big room, music. Always blue, silver and white - snowflakes and stars. A winter wonderland. All very secular, as didn't want to offend anyone. One year I shocked them and went all red and gold... but it looked like a bordello! And was one (just the janitor's closet - cutest bartender.) You look quite festive and fit in your lumbersexual best. Enjoy the season... among other things. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many gorgeous details and objects You really made your home so festive and welcoming. You definitely got the touch. We love the lumberjack look. And again, so sorry we didn't get to catch up in New York with news of your aunt. We understand. We will be back, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it all! you have done it again! While I do miss your all red tree, it still looks so comfy and warm anyhow. So festive and beautiful!! The touches of red still really set everything off. Love Prancer and that bubble light on your table. Thanks for letting us tour your beautiful Christmas home and get some ideas

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great home and great taste! Feels so nostalgic. Red balls, blue balls, pink balls, multi-colored balls, but you know we'd rather see your balls?!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay!! I always love your house tour! Everything looks incredible! You have that perfect way to display your treasured keepsakes and collections. I did much of my decorating today too. I love decorating with cards I received too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Holy… wow 🙂 Great photos. I love Christmas time and your style is awesome. I get some good ideas when I see your place-always. Not only at Christmas but always. I love the sub colors of it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What attention to detail....what energy to put all the decorations up! How do you dust around all these precious ornaments?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ho-humbug, I’m not decking the halls this year... and I’m already regretting it. But, you have done so much more than I would or could have done (the cats), so I’ll just look at these pictures when I want to experience Christmas class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut back this year too. The tree saved hours of time.

      Delete
    2. I can remember our cats from my first marriage. They used to bat around the bottle brush trees we had.

      Delete
    3. Agnes:
      We had cats before that completely ignored the tree and all decorations. These two think everything in the house has been placed here for them (or maybe they know).

      Delete
  28. I'm going to do something amazing with my golden balls this year - thanks to your inspiration. Watch this space.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golden balls or are they Rocher Ferrero?

      Delete
  29. Beautiful and festive as always, Mistress!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your decor!! Also loving the peacock feathers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Grandma always claimed that having peacock feathers in the house was unlucky (but don't tell the Mistress), ditto with Hawthorn flowers. I never noticed any ill-effects from having either in the house.

      Delete
    2. Apparently peacock feathers "...doom any unmarried women living in that house to spinsterhood". Jx

      Delete
    3. I most of these feather came from a neighbor who has a few peacocks on her farm. So far...no bad luck...but much like the greek goddess Hera...these are my "eyes" on the world, lol!!!

      Delete
    4. @Jon.....Now you tell me. Its a good thing then I enjoy the company of many men then.

      Delete
  31. Lovely!
    Between you and Upton are gonna make me do something festive, I see.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love what you did this season, and as usual the first thing I thought of were the vintage bottle brush trees. It was nice to see them.

    Under my current circumstances, I'm not doing any decorating for the holidays this year.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I never thought I'd see pussy on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like one eye opener in the post.

      Delete
  34. We have. Not to the extent we usually do...the upcoming trip for the eyes has stifled things a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im sure you'll place some balls somewhere.

      Delete
  35. Im so glad you love your surprise! I always enjoy your place at Christmas. Thanks Mistress for this amazing tour of your beautiful home. I just loved everything. I can’t wait to decorate my home like this. I got a few things out already. This season, I was looking for some warm and cozy home decor ideas and found them here. Everybody gets attracted by candles and tree lights... beautiful glow. They give such warm feeling and change the whole environment. You always do a nice mix of old and new so well. Of course I love those Christmas pyramids. It's getting hard to find them in shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those ornaments made my day when I arrived home.

      Delete
  36. That's a lot of holly for just "light decorating." Looks fabulous (of course.)

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sassy! That's about all I do really except for the big tree and some other times, that I didn't put up. This all took about two hours to do.

      Delete
  37. Your home always looks welcoming, no matter what season you're decorating for. I love your kitchen and how you've used the French provincial china hutch with a corner dining area to create such cozy ambience! I have a very large, clear glass fish on my dining table that holds seasonal decorations: a seashell collection in summer, coloured foil chocolate eggs at Easter, and glass tree decorations or candy canes at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great piece Tundra. I have really curtailed and got rid of miscellaneous decorations over the years to keep just old family items and gifts given to me. Thank you for your compliment.

      Delete
  38. Ah, NOW it feels like Christmas! Maddie, your home, as always, is beautiful and inspiring.

    And the Lumbersexual look suits you!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!