Tuesday, March 23, 2021

VINTAGE SPLENDOR


When I was home last time for an extended visit, I planned a couple days with the Capital Street Duo, two of my closest inner sanctum friends. They have been two of the several in my bubble. Like Dorothy Parker said, "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." When I go to their home, it is definitely filled with curiosities, no room for boredom here.  It's a nice change. The Dame treats me too good when I come for a visit, I have my own room. They tell friends on tours, "This is the Mistress's room, where she does her drinking, and passing out in."  When I meet new friends of theirs it's always intresting to see how people will react upon getting in this narrow townhouse. No doubt, your stepping back in time. The Dame is one of my longest friends, and the dear is still working on me to come work for him in his floral shop. But what's cool is our homes are so different and couldn't be father apart. I love my visits, and enjoy taking all and everything in from the nooks and crannies. How many do you know with a huge player organ and stuffed peacocks in their living rooms? Or a old display cabinet with a Victorian shoe collection in it that acts as their bar??? It's quite eccentric. And his hubby is a good sport, he just goes with the flow.

It's a bit all surreal when you first see it. Almost like stepping through the Looking Glass. This upstairs hallway is painted, one wall is plaid wallpaper, and the ceiling and other wall are wallpapered with pages of a Bible the Dame ripped apart. I told you we're heathens.
The master bedroom has many church artifacts, like that huge light hanging from the third floor, down to above their bed. It came from a old church in the area and he told me was specially beamed in to support it. The one thing we both have in common is large scale objects and furnishings. Just because a place is small or narrow, doesn't mean larger items won't work. They often deliver drama!
While this house might look old, it really isn't. This whole block went up in flames right down the whole street back in the 70's I believe he told me, and the block was rebuilt by the 80's. But the way he has designed his home, you sure wound 't know. I think I love and admire it because it's so different from mine.
My bedroom, the Borghese room, is done with painted walls and one wall wallpapered in old newspapers. I find that very creative myself.  And I really don't even mind what's above my headboard.....
Their bathroom is probably the most modern room of the house. They recently had navy blue subway tile put in, a new standing shower, with sitting bench, and other amenities ...but leave to the the Dame...the vintage and nostalgia still comes though. I absolutely love their shower, and that honeycomb tile floor.
It's always a good visit. I swear...the Dame treats me like the Dowager Countess or Joan Crawford when I'm there. Everything as to be just so.  Like clockwork, he will slip his phone under my door, with the Mommy Dearest opening music playing to wake me to. Once up, I generally hear them making racket, and say something like "Russel....Shawn.Damnnnnnnn it! CAROL ANN...I have asked you to keep the children quiet today, and for CHRIST SAKE get them out of the garden."  Once I go and get ready, he has a tray of coffee and orange juice in my boudoir why I get ready. Talk about service. But I think it's only to sweeten the pot to get me to move back. It was a lovely visit, but to be honest I couldn't wait to visit. For you see darlings, Aunt Cruella couldn't wait to see the newest member of their family.... Flyer!!! Four months old. Last summer their dear Philly passed away during the pandemic. And Flyer is a cutie!
Followed me all over too. Little does he know.
"He may have won the battle, but Ill win the wardrobe." 

They were surprised I didn't wear my Cruella coat from years ago...it most likely would not fit in their front door anyway. When I arrive, they never know what I may show up in. And contrary to popular belief, no Dalmatians were harmed in it's making years ago. Or were they?  bwahahahahah hhhaaaaa ha! Years ago when I was different and thought of puppies...

But the best thing about my stays are Russell's legendary Bloody Marys in the morning.

And who am I to complain? 
And did I mention their third car is a hearse?
So there's that. 
You wouldn't want your first ride to be your last would you?

52 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, WOW, what a place! I love visiting homes like that! I knew a gay couple once whose home was packed, simply packed, with curios and collectibles. One partner was a hugely flamboyant drag queen and the other partner was a dour little Scottish accountant. You could not hope for a more opposite pair of personalities! But they adored and doted on each other. Oh yes, they had a stuffed tiger in the enclosed verandah, darling.

    And that photo of you in the dalmation puppy coat -- YOWZA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debs...The Dame and Russ are exactly the same. So opposite of each other, but it works! It's like you were there darling. The Dame wants a stuffed fox, but she knows I won't approve of that...or a squirrel.

      Delete
    2. A tiger?!?!?!?! Now that is eccentric! I don't know I could.

      Delete
  2. How very camp, dear! Love that decor. All of it!

    The mention of a ceiling wallpapered with pages ripped from the bible reminds me of the orgy I hosted for my 35th birthday - well, it started as a conventional party, but by the time the punch was topped-up so many times it was basically just gin and wine with some sorry-looking fruit lingering in it, and you know how boys are after a concoction like that! - when a good friend of mine "reclaimed" a bible by cutting the pages into the shape of penises and strung them as bunting up and down the stairway (and other pages he cut to spell out the words "sodomy" and "buggery" and strung those up as well). The guests loved it...

    ...so, needless to say, a good time was had by all. And I was one of them.

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think Gin Blossom, our two circles need to meet up!!!! Talk about a festive of Dionysus.

      Delete
  3. What an over-the-top place! I've always wanted to wallpaper with newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look rather cool. I one time did a friends children room with the comics from newspapers.

      Delete
  4. What a place! There is a Hearse car club so I guess it is a thing.

    Hope this shows up. I comment and then they vanish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger has been a pain this week. Same with me. I told them they could sell tickets for people to have sex in it...while being driven around!!!

      Delete
  5. "one wall is plaid wallpaper, and the ceiling and other wall are wallpapered with pages of a Bible the Dame ripped apart."
    Even if the place weren't that fascinating, I'd totally jockey for an invite with that description of what the Dame did.
    The collections are incredible. Some people may find the house crowded, but I think it's been done with intention and purpose.
    I loved the victrola! And a hearse? Yes!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has two victrola, and would you believe they both still work? I cant tell you how cool it is to hear the music of one of the original recordings he has. And not many. They are very rare to come across he said. As are finding needles to replace on the arm.

      Delete
  6. Hen, I SOOOOOOOO need to hang out with you bitches. I can't stand average boring people.

    That house is like a quirky curio of curiosities. I think it's been featured on many city tours here in Harrisburg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your correct. He has been in area magazines and on many a house and garden tour. He stopped being on tours though because of people being rude of not listening to rules and bring in food. Has never done another one.

      Delete
  7. The ban pooch steals the show! And they’ve got a hearse? Now that would make an interesting Uber.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I was that dog and saw you in that coat....Id scram right quick. I probably couldn't live there daily, but would most certainly not pass up an invitation to visit. It's such an intresting home. I always enjoy pictures you share from them. But my fat ass might split those dainty pieces! LOL! I mean who has a Canadian goose in a hat box? I sometimes wish I was eccentric.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I would have so worn the coat!!!

    What a fabulous home they have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always a good tour see the Capital Street Duo's home, it's been awhile. It's nice to have safe people whom to be able to visit. The Dame is very creative for using pieces for what there intended use is, like that old display case. I can't help but wonder if the Victrola still works? And Flyer melted my heart.

    The home is like a living museum of camp. And a hearse!?!?! Well Cruella must be a sight getting out of that. That is an amazing coat! You truly can be evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been too long since I shared pictures. I might have did a post a Christmas I cant remember.If Dawn pops in she go nuts.

      Delete
  11. Good grief! I love this! I adore antiques and vintage things. I sure hope some of these things are insured!!!!

    And I need that coat!!!!!!!! What a statement!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed looking these photos! Your friends did a amazing job in selecting pieces and the feel of the home. Seem fun to be around and interesting persons. I can tell from just the banter you mention, you guys must have fun times. I love when we guys get campy.

    I liked especially the last couple pictures soooOO ADORABLE...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right. We never seem to have a dull moment. Happy to say Flyer bonded quiet nicely with me. After he knew I wouldn't make a coat of him.

      Delete
  13. Very nice home! Love that bathroom! And I remember you showing me the Cruella pictures once.

    Now all you need is the car...and with your driving...YOU HAVE HER DOWN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When he lived in the Burg, why do you think we called him Cruella?

      His driving was infamous.

      Delete
    2. Just because i have a few heart attacks doesn't qualify me as a bad driver. So I took out a few construction sign and pylons once..... Maybe a planter a few times...

      Delete
  14. It looks like a glorious home! I have a friend who would love to sink their teeth into that house and snoop around.

    And those Bloody Mary's look delish. Does that skewer have shrimp and bacon on it???

    And if I was Flyer...I would be very afraid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hos Bloodys are delish! And yes...that is indeed bacon shrimp a pepper on a skewer.

      Delete
  15. Very vintage, indeed 👌🏻🙂

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Mistress,

    We have been totally fascinated by this house tour. It could....almost... be a home from home for us, surrounded as we, and clearly your friends, are by a multitude of Victoriana of varying sorts.

    We have an imaginary game that we play when visiting the houses of others and that is to determine which items one is going to steal. Of course, we do not actually do the stealing, but it is fun to decide what treasures one could live with. In the case of your friends' house, we should, most likely need to do a trolley dash rather than just a casual item in the pocket. There are so many deliciously decadent things that we should simply love to live with.

    And, as for the coat! Surely Flyer would have gone wild with either excitement or fear. It is quite the most amazing garment we have ever seen. We do think that Dalmatians should come in pairs....so elegant walking down the street with them symmetrically placed. But, whatever, Flyer looks adorable and we should definitely wish to steal him....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I figured you two might have some fun game to play. You two are always up to some fun in some form. And I agree. Flyer would be hard to pass up. I tried talking them into another Dalmatian...but so far aren't getting anywhere.

      In warmer months off my bedroom is a lovely balcony that overlooks city views....great for drinks and conversation in the evenings...and down below a nice quaint courtyard. In one of the pictures from the parlour, the hunt picture was so big it had to be disassembled and brought in over the balcony and down the staircase. The Dame loves his collecting and decorating. The stories I could regale of things he's bought

      Glad to hear you two loved the coat.Thank you for the compliment. If I don't wear it again soon...perhaps I should bequeath it to Jane!

      Delete
  17. Love that home; I wouldn't have time for reading if I visited there and that's the highest accolade I can award!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a couple of rare individuals. And what an adventure. You're right about it being like stepping through the looking glass. We had a stuffed Canada goose (in flight), a Mandarin drake, a rattlesnake, and a chicken. But no peacocks. Could you imagine yourself moving back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not pictured is a snow goose, a rooster,a huge turkey, and a fish on a wall. I tried to share pictures I hadn't before. I could move if a had too...buy don't know I'd be happy as before when I lived there. Im so in love with the area here now.

      Delete
  19. what nice dalmatian!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a showplace! and a new puppy! best use for the buybull I've ever heard of!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great place! So much to see. Love the gramaphone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tour. Love the doggy!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What lovely conversation pieces they have :) They also have great taste in lighting fixtures I might add.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have very few pieces that are new or up to date. Mostly everything in the house is vinatge.

      Delete
  24. Beautiful rooms and home. Not my style but I can say it's an amazing place. They should own a B&B! I love people who don't fit in the box and live how they want. I can tell you guys have good times together.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just divine!!!! You don't see many homes with such eccentricities these days. Too many follow the rules, so bravo to them! I would love to see more. And Flyer simply melted my heart.

    You certainly have many home away from homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather nice to have a few places to escape too. I really miss my friends in NYC. I haven't seen any of them in over a year.

      Delete
  26. Isn't this the place that you stayed at around Christmas and was decked out with no end of trees and lights and things? It looks like a very tasteful and select antique shop.

    Oh, and where did your friends get that cloaking device that's positioned at the top of their stairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the very same Mr DeVice!!!!

      Cloaking device? Which item do you refer sir?

      Delete
  27. I've always enjoyed seeing there home, love it. And they certainly love the birds and fowl... hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Visiting friends with such an eccentric decor would be a blast for a weekend! Their new Dalmation puppy is adorable, but he doesn't hold a candle to your Cruella coat: it's ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why Thank you Tundra Bunny!!!! It's been an age since I wore it, Now might be a good time to break it out again. Yes, there place is so different from mine, I think it's why I enjoy my visits...it make for a nice change.

      Delete
  29. Beautiful home and being eccentric is the best! It's no wonder you guys are such good close friends.

    I too home loving that bathroom tile and floor.

    ReplyDelete
  30. They would fit right in nicely here in Ptown. I think you all should move here!!!! I enjoyed seeing a glimpse of their home again. It almost haunting, yet fun.

    And when tour ready to part with that coat, don't forget me girl!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That house is a fun house. I would spend all day just looking at everything... like an antique store. And you! You are one gorgeous queen, my dear. Woosh. Glad you had a lovely stay. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That house is great! So cool! Better than a museum. Flyer is the best part, though. Maybe you should take that job.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!