Wednesday, March 31, 2021

IT'S GARBAGE...


....But far from it.

I had almost given up hope. But low, Garbage is back, probably one of my favorite music groups, right along with Goldfrapp. How's that for a pairing? So different right?  I was overjoyed when I heard Garbage were going to emerge, with No Gods No Masters, for it's been it's 2016's excellent Strange Little Birds. And leave it to this outspoken and talented to group, to be right in step, and on cue with the current times. And yet, somehow they seem to capture the words in my head...but express them far better.

There lead single "The Men Who Rule the World" is a new protest song for the times currently, a song about the injustices of capitalism, racism and sexism and misogyny around the world. I'll be here for this album. They have yet do anything I don't own.

And I just adore Shirley Manson, that unique, distinctive voice, rebellious attitude, and forthright style... with many messages. She was quoted in a interview  with MXDWN ."This is our seventh record, the significant numerology of which affected the DNA of it's contents: the seven virtues. the seven sorrows, and the seven deadly sins. It was our way of trying to make sense of how fucking nuts the world is and the astounding chaos we find ourselves in. It's the record we felt that we had to make at this time."  She even talked about the fanbase. "We'll take anybody, we're not fussy. We don't discriminate between any age. I think it's always flattering when you can speak to a new generation. At the same time, there's something really beautiful to age yourself, and age with a audience- there's something extraordinary about that because you've lived literally through the same lifetime. You've seen the same things and been affected by the same stories."

And she's right. We have, we see the same things, and are going through the same things... so you'd think it would be tying us all together and unite us, instead of dividing us. Thank goodness Garbage is back. And right on point.


And nothing wrong with some vintage Garbage, Stupid Girl, which at one time was my theme song, and a song I had in my drag routine.

25 comments:

  1. These are some great tunes to start the day thinking.

    I love your musical tastes. Like me, they run the gamut from classical to, well, Garbage, and everything in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh yes!
    Shirley Manson is so dope! Only Happy When It Rains and Stupid Girl were my jams! God we used to play those at every party. Their sound is super cool. I'm glad they're coming back. Hopefully we'll be able to do concerts next year.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. If a band or artist can remain relevant, they'll take their core audience with them and pick up the younger folks along the way. That's the key to longevity in the industry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! Great music and lyrics.

    "Make it a crime to tell a lie"

    I remember Stupid Girl and I loved it! Didn't know who did it. I can imagine these both as drag anthems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sympathise with the lyrics but I'm more an opera girl myself - Don Carlos is my current listening

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't they do "Crash Test Dummies"? Or was that a group too????? I always thought they were a one hit wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think your thinking of the Canadian group. I didn't get into them so much, but the lead singer had a hell of a sexy voice.

      Delete
    2. Oh, the Crash Test Dummies! There's a blast from the past. I loved "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm". It's one of the few songs where I took notice of the lyrics and got emotional.

      Delete
  7. YASSSSSS HENNY!!!!! I've been waiting for this!!!! And what a protest song...to say fuck the aristocracy with. Yes....we need a new protest song right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I haven't ever heard of the group. I like protest songs - and people - who are not willing to be docile but stand up.
    good for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't think of a better group to do a protest song for the times than Garbage. Yes, I might be old. But I keep up with new music. My son had all their work. And this song and video is quite the meassage.

    Why I can see Anne Marie out there with her flag and fuck you's

    ReplyDelete
  10. My musical palate craves me some new Garbage. And their more woke then ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE it! Shirley is pissed and not taking prisoners!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is exactly as nuts as I hoped it would be! Excited for the new record! I also loved Stupid Girl back in the day. Of course I like Goldfrapp also. Bob is right...you certainly ran the gambit when it comes to music.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow just wow. Shirley cussing is exactly what I needed right now. Literally right now!

    I too never thought they'd be back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, Garbage... I was never a fan, but I loved "Stupid Girl". It's one of those songs that brings back memories of the time.
    Most of the time, I couldn't give two figs about the lyrics - it's the music that gets me. I don't care if the song's about picking fluff out of a belly-button - or actual garbage - just as long as the music provokes an emotional reaction (mostly exhilaration or joy, please).

    And, funny that you should mention them, but I'm desperately awaiting something new from Goldfrapp. I hope they come up with something soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Mr DeVice! I have everything Goldfrapp has done. Like ABBA, they make everything better.

      Delete
    2. The only news I know about Goldfrapp is that they've announced dates for their delayed-for-obvious reasons UK tour for the 20th anniversary of Felt Mountain...

      I love them to bits, and might try and get a ticket for 2022. Jx

      Delete
  15. I loved Garbage in the 1990s! Their Bond theme The World Is Not Enough is one of my faves... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did not realize you were a Goldfrapp and Garbage fan! I adore. From day one, Shirley had me. She can do no wrong. How exciting. A reason to buy something. Thank goodness, because I have been stuck in a 1970's, 1980's groove for too long. Thanks for sharing this. The best stuff comes with Spring. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my god, this is a BEAST of a song! Brilliant! I love them. I never thought they were going to do another album.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG the antisystem song I was needing from them! I mean, yeah, they've got many songs that might be considered antisystem, from albums before, such as Metal Heart, but this one is brutally honest and catchy... Always knew Garbage was from the good side! We have to speak up against the crazy and the fucked up mess going on. Man I love them..and Shirley is soooo bad ass.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks! Rock and Roll... Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always enjoy them... but this is really amazing!!!! I can't wait for the album. All the references, the fact that they sound like Garbage but renovated, that they are so in tune with the times and Shirley's voice! again! :_) I feel like a teenager

    ReplyDelete
  21. Same here - loved Stupid Girl, and The World is not Enough.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!