Tuesday, March 30, 2021

FLORENCE

I remember back in the day when I stared doing drag, and then well into the 90's and early 2000's if you were a club queen or a pageant queen,  and were serious about drag and in the know, you had a Coco Vega gown or more,  and at least one wig created by the late great Chris March. I never had the latter, but did have two gowns by Coco, and they were often hand beaded and sequined gowns. I would swear the royal blue floor length I had weighed at least 20lbs!!! And Coco is still around, in Las Vegas now, and is still huge on the pageant circuit. But these days, if your a campy club queen and preforming,  then one covets a Florence D' Lee original. And trust me, you have seen his work hunty. Bryce Turegon, also known as Florence D'Lee is a fun loving, dom top bear, ex- drag queen himself, and has worked as a designer for many of the queens from Drag Race and in New York City, not to mention an accomplished theatrical costume designer.  This season's Tina Burner, had just about every look created by Florence, and a couple of Rose's as well, in addition to disqualified queen Sherry Pie from last season.

Of course the gay community jumped all over him, at least the mean fans of RPDR, for not deleting pictures of Sherry from his Instagram when all the shit hit the fan. But even though he too did not condone Pie's behavior, I agreed with him to not delete the pictures. And why? What he designed for her was some of his most creative and over the top, detailed works. Many too complained about the show not editing her further back, but I think if your on the inner santicam...it would have also been a punch in the face to Florence. I know I was looking at his work by then, and not that cow.

Florence had been involved with theatre from an early age.By high school he knew he had a flair for costume designing, and ultimately got his BFA in theatrical costume design, and shortly after moved to NYC. But left to not designing anything for shows, but more of a "sewing technician", he ended up walking away for a different career path. At that time he'd been moonlighting as a drag queen, and turned it into a full time job. Being a huge bear at 6'8" and built like a linebacker, he had no choice but too design his own costumes. It was then, a lot of plus size queens took notice to his finery, and started commissioning him for custom garments. Fast forward to years later and he left the preforming to run his own full time design company, creating for drag queens and nightlife scenesters.

Stephanie's Child- Rose', Lagoona Blue, Just Jan

Lemon

Since then,  he's been constantly booked with queens. I'm sure it's never a dull moment. Two of his most favorite creations were not of his muses but for the promo look and finale gown for Scarlett Envy on Drag Race.

From T-B Ariel Versace, Blair St Clair, Selma Nilla

The Sherry Pie disaster seemed to follow him, but died down quickly, now the LGBT has been a huge support of him and his work. When he had spoke passionately about designing some of Sherry's looks, thankfully people finally understood where he was coming from. I agreed with him, that the RPDR community can get vicious. He had asked that viewers didn't shred and tear down every aspect of Sherry on the show, because so much of what we see is coming from designers and artists, wig designers and jewelers. Most viewers don't realize it takes a village to get these bitches on the show. And with his comment of that,  he is absolutely right. The queens don't bring their old everyday drag anymore, like the early days. This past season was so nice seeing so many creations on Tina and Rose'

Scarlet Envy

Of course like many of us, Florence felt the crunch of the pandemic too, with queens not doing shows, clubs and productions shut down. Thank goodness for drag race and queens at least needing creations for the show, right?  But the pandemic and summer throw curveballs at him... and he suffered back in June, when he was rushed to the hospital with Cauda Equine Syndrome. He suffered major damage to his spinal cord,  causing numbness from the waist down confining him to a wheelchair, temporally. After that stint,  he had to do rehabilitation on regaining his strength. It also put a major stress on him financially, but luckily with friends and queens, they set up a Go Fund Me, which outdid the goal they had set, since he needed  medical equipment that would help him with his daily life, pay rent, house supplies, hospital bills, and work studio modifications. When he had got home, Tina Burner was getting ready to leave for the show's filming... and they still had to finish the 15 looks...no small feat, but between them both, they found every seamstress they knew, before she set off.  While his work load is no where near back to normal yet...he has to even turn down business with his strength not back fully yet... is doing much better and feeling the love! 

He says down the road he's hoping to show his own collection when and if fashion week ever returns, where he'd love to show the world a fully realized collection from the talented and creative force of Florence D' Lee.

27 comments:

  1. Lots and lots of talent!!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me a 6'8" Dom Top Bear. Can a sister get an introduction??? :) This is a fascinating look behind the scenes. And what a crazy curve ball to be thrown... that illness. Glad he's doing better. His looks are amazeballs. I am naïve in the ways of drag, but its really costuming, isn't it? I always thought the queens did all that work themselves (I know... dumb, dumb, dumb.) It is magical. And isn't amazing how he fell into it? Like life leading him where his talents and energy were needed most. Thanks for sharing this stuff. Fascinating. - Kizzes. PS - when will there be a Ms. Maddie photo retrospective? I would love to see your glam turned up to One Million Watts. - I mean, yes... that is true of you everyday... but don't hide your light under a bushel barrel. Unless you doing something under there you don't want us to see... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the queens that use Florence are more often than not, the well known, up and coming queens, who do professional shows. Im sure they come with a nice price. Most hometown drag queens, mostly do , do their own clothing, or off the rack and embellish it. I did both. Had I been on drag race, I would have been what you saw on the early days. Although I did have a person that made me ensembles. I can't sew worth shit.

      Oh dear, I have featured some spread of my drag. There on the blog. My other spreads I leave to that slut Cali Boi. You are such a big lug I like...we need drinks!

      Delete
  3. A fascinating look behind the scenes! Thanks, Mistress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was me expecting a discourse on Florence in Italy - perhaps next time? That red top hat outfit is seriously smart and Florence D'Lee must be one hell of a designer/seamster (male version of seamstress?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is sooooooo talented. I'm so glad that so many queens use him. You know a Florence D Lee when you see one. now Helen if you foot the bill, I could go to Florence and do a post if you want, lol!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. Excellent! Florence is so frickin' talented. I love my D'Lee creations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So that's the man who created the Tina and Sherry looks! What a great post. He appears to have done a lot for the great Sasha Velour too. Funny you mentioned the great Chris March. I wonder if Florence has tried to ever do Project Runaway? Is it even still on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he did try out for PR and made it twice to the finals, but of course they wanted to feature hot, handsome designers. I guess they thought they are more talented. The days of Chris March are over with the show. I don't know if it's still on. I haven't watched it since season 3, when Laura Bennett was on.

      Delete
  7. That is amazing. And I had no idea he had such a terrible summer with that condition. He is much loved thats for sure. When the shows come back, I would love to have a Florence D'Lee creation one day.

    Of course if you ever part with your Coco Vega's, they will fetch a very nice price. I'd take them off your hands but would never fit my ass in your stick clothing. Little bitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we could take both gowns and stitch then together?

      Delete
  8. What FABULOUS stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating story, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I continue to learn so much of this fascinating world. I particularly like the clothing/gowns stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is so gifted. I'd love to see his collection and for him to get the recognition he deserves. So glad he recovered. What a hellish, frightening experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is definitely next level. The ensembles he has done for Tina Sasha, Scarlett and yes, even Sherry were draw dropping. Florence knows how to create a show stopper. I too enjoyed Scarlett's promo look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, you had me at bear-dom-top. And then you dropped that he's over six feet tall and I'm here salivating.
    On to the dresses: yes. So absolutely talented. I'm all for the pageantry and the feathers and the beads but I love the conceptual looks he's created, too. So many iconic looks!
    The sexual predator who will not be named fucked up his chance at RPDR because his name got enmeshed with the scandal. Such a shame, because the looks were sick!
    Glad the community helped him when he needed it. 2020 was not kind to anybody (well, it was kind to millionaires, but I'll leave that for another post) and entertainers have suffered more than anybody else.
    Kudos to Florence D'Lee. Here's for creative minds.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how tall he is. Im little compared to him, at only 5'7"! Im like a pocket gay almost.

      Delete
  14. He is something. And yes people needs to stop sheading everything Sherry, because it was insulting to rip all the artistc that used there talent to create her. One has to look pass that person.

    Tina Burner seems to be his muse now. She wears a lot of Florence. I caught some of Selma Nilla' s shows, and she always has killer looks. Much luck to him in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to meet or see a Selma Nilla show! But I think I have gotten it once or twice!! I mean after all, I've seen Bunny.

      Delete
  15. A dom bear top, who breaks barriers. Im here for that! He looks like a real fun guy too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely, talented and accomplished man. I had no idea just how many ensembles he created for Drag Race queens...and they always, always look STUNNING. I adored Tina Burner this season.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous creative mind! I recognize so many of those outfit, many my favorites. And to be a dom,bear, drag queen fashion designer? All props!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. He is amazing. I had no idea he created Blair St Clair's outfit above! Oh how I would wear that!

    I think some days I should have been a drag queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! As Mae West said "Those you are easily shocked, should be shocked more often."

      Delete
  19. Florence? s/he reminds me of the quirkiness of Florence Foster Jenkins (here on wiki)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!