Wednesday, March 31, 2021

CHECKERED PAST


It's probably been now over a year since I stepped foot anywhere other then a dinner or two, last summer, on a deck along the river of a restaurant, or just to get provisions at the farmers market and grocery store. I have had no desire to go shopping at other stores at all, like boutiques or malls. I think to a point , well, I know, I have developed a minor case of PTSD. I think I would have a panic attack in  a store now if I find it getting near crowded. So when  a friend contacted me about paying me to stage his antique booth and that of another,  upon recommendation,  I accepted with trepidation. But this was nice pay to be made quite easily, and in my wheelhouse. So I said yes. Only after did we tell me the antique center was only open by appointment, so it's not like the general public can just walk in...and only then have to be buzzed in to control the number of people. Luckily the place covers four floors too. 

I can't express how refreshing that was, and it felt nice to get out and do something different, and I miss working with what I love doing. So last week I went, and of course took pictures. 
My friend had a ton of new items and furnishings and has not been able to get in. I asked if I could even paint the one wall, when I viewed the space originally. Which was a big yes. I think if you can make a space look like an actual room and not just a booth with dropped treasure in a space, it will bring more people into it and generate interest. It helped to that this friend is on the main floor, where all the real high end antiques and such are. And when you get down to it...it's all about the accessorizing.
Although he was holding out on me with these cock cock-a-tail glasses. You doesn't need glasses with cocks on them? The other space was a wreck, but I too emptied the space and started from scratch.
I was pleased with the results. This took just about all day, especially the wall hangings.
My friend Angela that runs this booth had this neat piece of a wrought iron pedestal with a gear wheel? on top it ? She said it's been there for about two years. So you know me? Always have the libations on the mind. So I turned it into a entertaining piece and suggested using it for a bar. Turned out pretty cool I thought.

She phoned just today to tell me the damn thing sold. Some hipster guy loved it and bought it, and even took the bar set on top. Again, you really do have to suggest things. Most people can't visualize things for multi- purpose, or for other uses. She had these in the booth. Aren't they adorable?
Another barware set. 
And how cool are these chairs for a retro kitchen?
I was most pleased by how both booth spaces turned out. I was in my hayday .

After I was done, I took a spin around to have a look see around the joint. This huge credenza breakfront could be yours for the asking price of  $250,000
I came across these fun bottle holders for a bar. Never seen anything like them before. I don't think my bottles would fit in these. But they could be cute just sitting on a bar for conversation pieces.

This gave me a chuckle. But who wants Reagan Paper Dolls? And I don't think Nancy ever had titties that full and firm looking. Nor did I ever see her smile.

Totally FELL IN LOVE with this side chair. it was only $89. 
I was so thinking of calling and telling the front desk to hold it for me. But Ill wait and go back, If it's still there then it's meant to be. Believe or not, it was actually damn comfortable and hit the back and shoulder just right. 

And how about this most unusual item?
Yes honey. When people traveled to Eastern Europe in the 19th century, people traveled prepared. These are vampire hunting kits allegedly sold to 19th century travelers, and contain much of what you would expect: a wooden stake, Bible, crucifix, pistol with lead bullets, gunpower, garlic, and glass vials that held various concoctions to ward off vampires. Or as I called it... a GQP hunting kit.
I did however fall for this mirror and couldn't pass it up for the whopping asking price of $12. I think I'll work it into my wall collage of mirrors in the living room.
However, till I decide,  it sits with the two pieces of art my friend did of me and then gifted to me, when the exhibit closed. I'm just not sure yet where I want to hang them. Though, I'm not opposed to this composition currently.
On another front, one of the two freelance design projects is a go. My fee was accepted and it will be a full, down to the bare walls of a kitchen and dinning room remodel. So there's that.

58 comments:

  1. What a charming place! I wonder...is it the People's Place? If so, that is a treasure trove of loveliness and finds. Glad to hear their guidelines too. You did great work with the set ups...no surprise to me.

    I adore those two chubby girls!

    Of course I'm still in awe of your friends art work even though I'm shy seeing you nude body...but you got it...flaunt it I say! They are really cool. And why not keep them propped like that? It's very organic feeling to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the two dancing chubby girls remind me of the song "it's raining men".

      Delete
    2. Agnes- It is indeed People's Place! Well I could keep the art like that. Your the second person to say they like it like that. I still miss my friend that did those drawings and his partner since they moved.

      Delete
    3. Yes Anne Marie! Could you imagine if they played It's Raining Men?

      Delete
  2. A lot of good stuff here caught my eye. LLOVED what and how you used that gear wheel for. A BAR! That is awesome. And the vampire kits...I mean GQP kits! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Great find on the mirror!!! I am so jealous. I can never find "finds" like that. I actually like it with the artwork propped like you have it too. I agree with Agnes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im shocked you didn't come home with that chair, it's so you...and of course, the reagans paper doll book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The streets still are pretty empty looking at there. It's a little back to to normal in town but it' still way off compared to what it's usually like. Everyone working from home still, so no traffic.

    LOVE how you merchandise those booths! Make me want to shop them! I love the cock glasses! Those two fat lady porcelain figures are cute. Now I will admire you in that art....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved those cock glasses too! Yes...it's still pretty laid back and empty here during the week...but with nice weather, Im sure the weekend is all tourist and crazy.

      Delete
  5. So this is part of your background. I can see know why your place and this work looks so great. Interior design. Im still learning about you. I could get lost in a place like this. Those bottle holders are so neat...a bit creepy...and a vampire kit!?!?!?!?! Where the hell do you live? That's cool though. Where do you see stuff like this.

    Congrats on the free lance project too. That sounds HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Type in New Hope in the blog search bar in the upper left. It will give you some post to give you an idea of where I live. It's quirky.

      Delete
  6. This place looks so cool. Glad to hear they have strict guidelines still. I enjoy what you did in these spaces, although the second one is more me...I see a couple things I like. I love that mirror..and for only $12? You thief!!!!! The paper dolls book cracked out my ass. No one needs to see those too stripped down! Good luck with the freelance project girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love a good rummage in an antiques/vintage market! Especially if it's as artfully presented as you have made this one... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! You never know what you may find. It's where I got much of my barware.

      Delete
  8. It's a bit worrying that I right away knew that was a vampire hunting kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, just mebbe you're visiting my Blog too much my Friend and can blame it on that? *winks* Of coarse I knew right away what it was. Now I even want one, you can never find Cool Oddities like that around these parts... dammit! *LOL*

      Delete
    2. Nah. Can't blame it on you. I think there's a side of me I keep hidden from the world ... and myself because I almost asked the purchase price, but then had second thoughts. It would have gone great with Lil Nas Devil Shoes I tried to purchase, but which sold out long before I tried to do so. LOL. Still thinking about this vampire hunting kit though. LOL.

      Delete
    3. Boots, it you like this place, you wouldn't believe some other places in this town. I have a feeling you'd get a real nice time out of this town. We have all kinds of oddity shops and galleries. The kit was cheap, I can tell you that.

      Delete
    4. I can't stand it. Can't stop thinking about it. How do I get it.

      Delete
    5. Shirley....im as bad as you with that chair. I got you email....Ill respond momentary.

      Delete
  9. Mads you Rocked those Spaces for your Friends and that Antique Mall would be sublime to wander in since it's high quality merchandise fitting to be called an Antique Store. Of coarse I knew right away what the Vampire Hunting Kits were... wouldn't ya know? *LOL* I think I NEED one now... bwaaha ha ha! I'm glad you got out and earned some quick cash doing what you Love and are destined to just do. I really enjoyed this Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd love this post Dawm. Every damn time I go in a place like this I think of you. Not that it's been much lately. That was the first time I ever saw a vampire hunting kit. They had two...one for you an one for Boots!!! The place is definitely one of the higher end centers. They actually do quite a bit with props departments in Hollywood.

      Delete
  10. I loved this post too. I could get lost in the is place. Some damn cool things, and they have a personality. I actually like the artwork and mirror propped on the wall like that...very studio looking. I love those artworks you sat for. If you ever sold them I would make an offer. I love the feel of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you kind, but I don't think Id ever part with them...too personal of a gift.

      Delete
  11. Your work is, as always, superb! And what a great collection. I wish we had a shop with that level of items. (Or maybe I don't. I'd be buying everything.) I, too, would have snatched up that mirror. And who of us doesn't need a GQP Hunting Kit? The pedestal and gear wheel is something we would have loved. And your display was an inspiration. You are a creative genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe how quick that gear wheel sold.

      Your too kind Mitchell. Lovely compliment.

      Delete
  12. I'm going to have them send me that chair for my conservatory. You can bring it over personally if you like - and then you can sort out our local two antiques centres because they certainly need the Borghese touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how comfortable that chair was. Ill bring it...it would arrive much more fun if I brought Helen!

      Delete
  13. Oh, Maddie, you've created such enticing spaces! What a talent. I wouldn't be surprised if you are asked back to do it all over again with new things as all the old stuff was sold.
    That side chair really is rather lovely. I hope it's still there for you (and I'm surprised you didn't buy those cock glasses).

    I'm rather intrigued with the picture behind the barware set in the "Stage 5" photo: the man in a chair holding a complicated-looking instrument, and the woman on the crescent-shaped sofa(?) leaning against some sort of pedestal, seemingly gazing at him. Do you have any other photos of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't take any close ups, but if I go back, Ill have to get pictures close up. And get the skinny on it. I think the guy was photographing the lady with a very old camera contraption. I thought it was neat, but didn't really looks closely till you mentioned it.

      Delete
    2. I find it fascinating because, to my eyes, it appears to be some sort of retro-future set up. That curved sofa/bench in particular looks like it could be taken off the set of a 70s sci-fi film (I'm thinking Alien or Space Station 76), but the hair and costumes are clearly from a MUCH earlier era. And the subjects appear to be of some Middle Eastern heritage. Also, are those tree branches in the background?
      Of course, my imagination could be running away here, so on the off chance that you do return at some point and get any more info, it'll be nice to know a bit more (and see how way off the mark I am!).

      Delete
    3. I will look. You know Im still thinking about that damn chair.

      Delete
  14. OMGGG I'd get lost in this place!
    Four floors,huh? I went to a place like this in Minnesota. Heaven.
    And you have got fantastic eye. The artwork immediately jumped at me after you organized it. And it's all in the composition, huh? I can see why that 'bar' was sold after you styled it. People need to 'see' what things can be. Those tulip chairs are bomb, but really, the vampire hunting kits? Van Helsing would be proud!
    Those drawings are fantastic, I think I've told you. Can't wait to see where you put them in your house.
    And you'll have to let us see the next project!!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will get you moist, and nice and hard...there was one booth with hundreds of old records!

      Delete
  15. Look like fun, we need to spend some time up that way, when things start to open up. Visual matters, online retail has not really gotten that point yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My word you do beautiful work! I’m sure you had a blast working in those spaces and it got the heart pumping. They should give you a commission on sales 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure my one friend would slip me commission if he had his way...but I only like him as a friend!!!!!!

      Delete
  17. This is a fantastic post. I'm so happy for you and your work is outstanding. You are a consummate professional.

    My eyes were all over, I had to slow down and scroll slowly.
    Buy the chair. It's a belter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should! Soon as I saw it...it called out to me!!!

      Delete
  18. Very well done! The places I've gone into put no thought whatsoever in display...they lump like items together and that's it. Yours is the kind of place that would get me to really browse and more likely to buy. Which is the point, right?

    P.S. Checkered Past is a great name for a rock band. (That's my inner Dave Barry.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess to getting the post title from a vintage clothing shop in New Cumberland from years ago...near where I grew up. Long gone now. Boy that place was the bomb. I would shop there for many a drag number, or just a going out to the club outfit for a Saturday night.

      Delete
  19. You did, of course, do a beautiful staging job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to have those retro kitchen chairs! damn, gurl, you ARE a clever creative genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they cool? I love myself mixing old and new together. And the place is cool because the prices range for everyone's budgets.

      Delete
  21. It looks like you're having a blast honey! Our interior design background comes in handy on many levels doesn't it? I saw more then a few things I liked, like those two chubby ballet dancing ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So nice to accompany you! You gots talent kid! I'm with you, I haven't been or do I even desire to go back out and do shopping for anything. In my opinion stores are letting way to many people in, some even without masks. I think you should get that chair...it's you! Thats first stage is very chic!

    And I agree about Nancy Reagan' tits. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so creative. Your gay genes are all in the right places. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you referring to below the waist cutie? Muwh!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  24. Great work, and got you got out and about if only for a brief time. I'm sure many will be getting a touch of PTSD. Understandable purchase at that price. Feel free to buy more stuff so you can show us!!

    I adore those bar men bottles. You do have a good eye when it comes to arranging things.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are extremely talented!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those cock cock-a-tail glasses will be snapped up in no time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we both know how the gays loved to be snapped by cocks.

      Delete
  27. I love digging into places like this or worst! I think I will get a culture shock too when I emerge from this cocoon of mine. But the world is nuts, maybe I don't want to.

    I'm shocked that 1-Nancy's tits do look big here 2- that you didn't get those cock glasses, and 3- I thought that chair would be in your place like yesterday! It's adorable and different. I great chair to receive men in huh Mistress?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Its a wonderful high end jumble!!!!! I see many shiny things.....

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, your staging and design skills are impressive! Display of unusual items in new ways for use, especially architectural or industrial salvage, are key to sales and keeping customers coming back. That wire chair would have been irresistible to me, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.I love that chair! It's fun to think of ways to come up with use for item other then their intended purpose..

      Delete
  30. That mirror would be nice on the wall with a few other ones of different sizes. I love that wire chair, but I'm afraid if I sit on it I'll end up looking like a metal porcupine afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are the best with suggestion!
    Is it wrong that I want a vampire hunting kit now?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!