Friday, May 29, 2020

LITTLE LIBRARY


Something positive to take us away fOR a brief moment today. I don't know how many of you have seen these little gems or may even have one in your neighborhood. One of my neighbors, the lady with the farm, put one up a few months ago and since, the community has put up two others. Little Free Library is a nonprofit organization that inspires a love of reading, builds community, and sparks creativity by fostering neighborhood book exchanges around the world, not to mention get and keep people interested in reading. The first Little Free Library was built in 2009 by the late Todd Bol in Hudson, Wisconsin. Bol mounted a wooden container designed to look like a one-room schoolhouse on a post on his lawn and filled it with books as a tribute to his mother, who was a book lover and school teacher and had recently died. Bol shared his idea with his partner, Rick Brooks, and together they built more of them in different areas of the Midwestern United States. After a while, the idea started to spread. Last I heard there are now over 100,000 of them world wide! Most of these can be built and put right up on your own property or in my building,  or permission required first if on public land. They can be as simple or elaborate as one wants. When I finally saw the two of ours, I thought they were so cute and do such good I think. We need to be more involved in community I think, and stop this sitting around while everything is going under.  This one in the little park where I walk Buster, reminded me of dear Debs.
Meanwhile at the other park in Doylestown, the steward of this one took into consideration the pandemic for those less fortunate. Since then after going pass, this one has stay food related, so it does even more good.
And in the new Britain Park where we sometimes go..
Here are some of my favorites from their Instagram. I even saw one that had knitting supplies in it!
Petaluma CA!

Seattle WA

Los Angeles

What a genius idea for those who couldn't find a mask. The steward of this one made mask. This one was in Anacortes WA.

Here's one in Arizona.

Denver CO

New Orleans!

San Antonio TX

Someone was looking for a book in Jackson FL.

Wyncote PA.

I have myself taken several books to two of mine, but rest assure it wasn't last night's reading material. I just love the whole idea of these and it's such a good thing. If your interested in knowing more about them, donating, how to get started, register one you already have, or how to get involved, you can go the Little Free Library website for a wealth of info. I'm off now to go walk doggies.

26 comments:

  1. These are some of my favorite things. We have several in the historic district that offer books and such; but as the lockdown grew, some people put canned goods, hand sanitzer, and even masks in their boxes.It's really nice to see a community do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Love seeing positive things like this! ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿค

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post and something to aspire too. I'm am going to look into this.

    We all need to get off our asses and do more in our communities. Another thing to learn from Kramer. I find we spent to much time in our homes. Thanks for sharing this, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. look at all the clever ways of giving books/food/masks to others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen these. We have up the street, but I think I thought it was someone's mailbox. Better believe I'll be looking into this now. What a great community idea. I adore these little libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I love, if you don't like a book you can unhaul it. Someone not loved book could be another's good read.This was so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard of these and I was actually thinking recently of unhauling all my books to LFLs around town, especially since there isn't a Goodwill Donation Center near me anymore. Some of these are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this is amazing. And inspiring. And Todd Bol is like many other trailblazers. It take one person to start something and look how far it takes you. I love the design of them too, so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One at the end of our block!
    take care, stay safe, xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Little Free Library idea so so much, I had never seen anything like that. I see get one started here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are Little Free Libraries all over Washington State! I've seen the one in Anacortes - they always have something interesting there. Sometimes they have free flowers in cheap vases that you can take with you too. We here at Rancho FirstNations just donate our old books and magazines to the local old folks home. (We're building up goodwill - it won't be long now!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are all so varied and charming! And yes, I LOVE the bee and honeycomb art on the first kiosk! I also like the one that is shingled with book spines, the one shaped like a cat and the Trojan Horse one! Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, the Trojan Horse, his belly full of good, able bodied Greek Men... though I don't think they had any books with them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sure don't see anything like that around here. Those are so neat. And serve a purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I lovee little free libraries! Unfortunately the one in my town is gone because the owners moved away ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are amazing!! I need to go find my Little Free Library ASAP!!! A great way to unload books and other can enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are a Wonderful Idea to Share with one's Community and I see them often now. I'd like The Man to construct us one so I can fill it with Books and perhaps some non-perishables that people might need. I liked seeing the one with Lovingly Made Fabric Masks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think they're great. A brilliant idea. We had a few pop up around these parts and both City and County decided they needed permits and licenses and all the bureaucratic bullshit that goes along with it - or they had to be removed. Well, they disappeared real fast. THAT is an example of government overreach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The east west coast or so completely different some days.

      Delete
  19. Aren't these little gems!!!! I didn't have one but that could change. I should look into this. The one in Denver is so cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have several in our community. There’s even one in front of the founder’s house designed to look like it. The local library is the steward of all of them, though you’re encouraged to swap. However, during the pandemic they cleared them out due to an abundance of caution. A great community builder.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have never seen these except in photos. The ones you've shared are little works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can think of nothing better than a book

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love, love, love these!
    I see them all over Edgewater when I ride my bike there. I think many have become little food pantries during the Pandemic.
    Books are awesome.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely ideaandwhat beuatiful little libraries!
    (I looked at all the little libraries while listening to Steven Delher from the next post play Clair de Lune)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always knew you were a art lover dear!

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!