Thursday, May 14, 2020

CAUGHT IN THE ACT

Boy, Girl. Artist, Advocate. Courtney Act is more than just the sum of her parts. I have always thought she was under estimated as a drag queen. She was widely known before going on Drag Race...and she was quick to be edited on the show as the sort of one note drag queen, and the fishy, and was getting pegged as the villain to a point. But to me Courtney has way many layers, and is very mutli faceted as a queen. Having seen her shows many times, and the last one, in Provincetown in the summer of 2018, her show covered it all.  She also entered the 2018 UK Celebrity Big Brother house with the wardrobe malfunction seen ‘round the world, but Courtney quickly proved she was no ordinary celebrity housemate. Her iconic blend of heart and humor- brains and beauty- won the world’s heart and the competition! 
And yet, Courtney Act is more than just gender or drag. She is a contemporary artist who embodies the zeitgeist of an era. One of the first artists to show their gender fluidity as well as their natural talents when boy, Shane Jenek, was passed by during the auditions for season one of Australian Idol, he came back the next day as girl: Courtney Act. Courtney showed the judges so much more than her music ability and went on to be one of the most iconoclastic contestants the show has ever seen and was signed to Sony,  embarking on a national arena tour with her fellow Idols.


 In 2014 she returned to the television arena as one of the Top 3 in Season 6 of RuPaul’s Drag Race. Though she didn’t steal the crown, she did steal the hearts of millions of viewers around the world. Courtney then released her debut EP, Kaleidoscope, featuring mainstream pop beats and lux music videos featuring collaborations with Jake Shears, Sam Sparro , William Baker (Kylie Minogue), The Squared Division (Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj). Her videos online have been viewed over 40 million times.
Proving once and for all that she was more than just a voice and a body, Courtney took on a number of controversial social causes and stories in her award-nominated political series American Act on Junkee.com. The series has had over 6 million views and saw Act fire a gun, smoke marijuana, and attend a Trump rally in full drag. I have seen some of the series...it is pretty interesting. But what I really loved was her touching documentary Becoming Courtney Act.For much of Courtney's career there was a struggle going on between the glamor puss queen and the man behind the make-up, Shane Jenek. The turning point came in 2014 when he was introduced to the concept of gender fluidity. Since then, Shane and Courtney haves used reality tv and social media to preach a message of acceptance and tolerance and gender fluid issues. If you have the time to watch this great and inspiring story about Courtney's trip, hit play. It's is also very touching to see how here parents were so accepting and supportive, especially her father. It's an intimate portrait, Jenek talks candidly, both as Shane and Courtney about his career and identity issues.

22 comments:

  1. Wow. What an accomplished lass! Multi-talented, beautiful and a sweetheart? That's my kind of triple threat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is certainly more than she was made out to be on RPDR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never a fan of Courtney till I saw this documentary. I had a new found love for him after that. He got a bad edit on drag race..thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney was my choice to win that year. That was a very excellent docu. The most wonderful thing about Courtney is not how gorgeous he is, or his looks or even how smart he is. It's how kind he is while being honest,and he's sincere and sweet...and manages it all so beautifully.

    I got chocked up once or twice watching that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her and Bianca were the two it really came down to when you think back on it.

      Delete
  5. I'll admit it. I have a huge crush on her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed, baby. Fierce queen! ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿค๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep saying you read my mind...
    I was going to post about Courtney because I thought Life in the Middle was awesome. I may still do it, because I think that documentary brings up some very important points. She's super accomplished and her stint on DWTS was fantastic. She's changing minds. One reality tv show at a time.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look forward to reading it when you do it.

      Delete
  8. Shane is a great story..and his dad should get a special call out in the video. I only wish most dad's were like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is actually one funny queen. She doesn't even let the full potential out. With Courtney beauty starts on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Classic beauty and talent....that's what eventually wins the day. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I'm gay." "That's nice dear, see you at dinner" we could use more parents like this. I have always loved Courtney, and enjoyed her time last summer in Ptown.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We LOVE AND ADORE our Shane here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lot of talent!!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such Talent and I'm glad the recognition is coming and less judgment. My Grandson is Gender Fluid and he said not everyone understands his way of Being, where he is okay in both his Male and Female inclinations. I didn't fully understand either until he explained it to me, I think my Native American Dad would have called it being of Two Spirits... an acceptable way of Being in his Culture. I think this individual is a gorgeous and talented Woman and I'm equally certain is as equally handsome and talented as a Man. Thanks for Sharing this Artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's great and to be commended your grandson embraces the gender fluid if he chooses it!!!! And to you to dear for supporting him with it. He's a nice looking individual!

      Delete
  15. Fantastic video! I'm not a "reality show" viewer, but I'm glad you gave me the chance to see this one! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RuPaul's Drag Race is the only reality show I watch. I don't watch much tv in general except for some PBS AND BBC shows. I like.

      Delete
  16. Wow. Now that is a side to her I never knew or heard about. As you know she is one of my favorite queens. The clip is very well done and informational.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love Courtney. I really enjoyed the documentary you featured. You rarely see these sides of them of the shows they are in. And yet again I learned a couple new things.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!