Monday, October 18, 2021

MOOD BOARD

 

What is it about pumpkins? I always have loved pumpkins and without them it wouldn't make the autumn complete. They and the foliage add so much. And the smells of such spices as all spice, clove, star anise, nutmeg and cinnamon sticks, along with a nice dose of bourbon, when I make my mulled cider. I love nothing more than at a farmers market seeing the tons of pumpkin variety all stacked in bins.  Pumpkin spice lattes may have dominated autumnal seasons every year for over a decade or more now, but actual pumpkins have been on the earth for a whopping 5,000 years, and there is so much more to the fruit then it's contribution to Starbucks. I'm not to much into pumpkin in everything...pumpkin scented paper towel's, really....but I do like a nice pumpkin spice soup I make, in addition to Butternut Squash soup, which I made this weekend for dinner with the Lumbersexual. A lady at the market makes the best,  to die for pumpkin Belgian waffles. OMG!!!!  The word pumpkin showed up for the first time in the fairy tale Cinderella. Pumpkins are grown on every continent except Antarctica. The original Jack o' lanterns were made with turnips and potatoes by the Irish. Each pumpkin has about 500 seeds. Pumpkins are technically fruits, more specifically, they are winter squash in the family which includes cucumbers and melons. Pumpkins are 90% water, which makes them a low calorie food. Now there are a few facts for you all. Is there any pumpkin foods you like to enjoy for the season?

Happy autumnal Monday all!

31 comments:

  1. Now that is a spectacular mood board!!! I myself just enjoyed a lovely pumpkin flavored ice cream here. It was actually very light and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A local farm market on the roadside here make a lovely pumpkin ice cream. I didn't have any this season yet.

      Delete
  2. Haven't you had enough wood for one weekend?

    Love the Andora pictures. Witch please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im always ready to burn through more wood.

      Delete
  3. Very lovely! Especially the melons in the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything pumpkin - it's one of my (many) addictions. Pumpkin bread, cookies, ice cream, pancakes,pudding. And pumpkin candy! The Mexicans make the best pumpkin candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I get home to my mother's tomorrow she tells me she has pumpkin cupcakes waiting!!!

      Delete
  5. Endora, we love you! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what I loved more, the fall colors, Endora [Witch, please] or the full moon.
    It's all so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of full moons, I think tonight is one!

      Delete
  7. I came for the "Witch, please" but stayed for the blue pumpkins - unusual.

    Now, however, I must go as I can see some late season ripe peaches that need picking from their tree...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the pumpkin boy in the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Endora is such an icon! Well, Agnes Moorehead, but yeah.
    And that's some asset!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's another superb mood board this week. Keeps me in the mood for autumn. And I think your mulled cider recipe with all those spices sounds lovely. I loved mulled cider in the fall. But I don't like too many things with pumpkin in them except I do love butternut squash soup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no idea why, but I love the picture of the star anise. It's a rather neat spice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that there is always one , nice and off color picture thrown in! Yet in works. We have never had mulled cider. We should take a trip east one day...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all these shots! I never knew any of that about the pumpkin facts. I'm really trying to stay positive on Mondays, this helped

    ReplyDelete
  14. In the early 2000s, Starbucks (sorry) had seasonal pumpkin spice cookies (topped with chocolate, of course). I love those. I also, like you, like a nice pair of pumpkins in a hat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I look out at the rain, the grey skies and the greenery; where is autumn? On your mood board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the only place Helen...because our legendary foliage hasn't hardly even started yet.

      Delete
  16. I like looking at the pumpkins.... but I don't think I've ever eaten one! I will stick to my potatoes and swedes.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'd like a spicy pumpkin pie Scarlet.

      Delete
  17. I have a pumpkin in the kitchen I should roast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What will you do with it toots? A Friday Post?!?

      Delete
  18. I bought a pumpkin pound cake from the local Farmer's Market a couple of weeks ago, but I found it too sweet for my taste. Give me my Mom's spiced up pumpkin pie recipe any ole day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too find the pumpkin cake too sweet. I like, like yourself, the spicy pumpkin pie or pumpkin bread first. I historically don't like beverages with pumpkin flavor either.

      Delete
  19. Color palate is wonderful and so appropriate for the season…
    …that boy in the tree is an exceptional treat…assume he’s in season and ready to pick!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I threw that in to see if you were paying attention Luke!!!

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!