Thursday, October 14, 2021

HOSTESS WITH THE MOSTESS

 

About two weeks ago, I had a very intresting conversation with some friends, some of who do drag, and other who don't. It came up about all the different  versions of Drag Race...most about how fast and furious they are coming...which I have my thoughts on why, but that's another story. It also surrounded the hosts. Now doubt RuPaul is a queen bee and has done tons for the drag community, and the LGBTQ. But the last couple of seasons, I feel that Ru is so not in touch with the drag community like she was and maybe even doesn't remember her roots as much. She has paid her dues yes, but anymore, I feel the inter actions with the queens on her show aren't there...and she and Michelle should soooo not be judging international versions. Just this season already Ru's lightbulb moment came at the judges table when he finally understood Ella Vaday's name. And related to that, as has become usual, Ru and Michelle show their lack of understanding of the "local" references. It became a sticking point every season of the UK, and was a huge disaster of the Down Under season, which hurt the show, and it seems unfair to the queens. I can't quite place my finger on what it is that bugs me about RuPaul lately, maybe she is just bitchy anymore since she let go of the Mathu Anderson that's painted Ru since "You Betta Work" and a fabulous queen in his own right. That's 2 and a half decades of consistently stamping the mug that launched a thousand queens. I mean, could Ru even do her own make up and wigs anymore? I do still love her, but I think she needs to interact more with her queens. I don't think I noticed any of this till I saw Supremme Deluxe.

Supremme Deluxe is to Spain what Ru is to the US. I wasn't aware of her till the fabulous season of Drag Race Espana aired. And it was a WOW! We have since become talkive on Instagram. While watching that season,  to me, she was a breath of fresh air to a franchise that is fraying. She was far more interactive with the queens, more open minded to different drag styles, and shared more of herself and experiences with the queens, so far as learning their backstories.  She was glowing, welcoming and warm. Like herself,  her judges, they also had fun with the drag and let the individual queens shine with their own trademark drag instead of worrying about how fishy they weren't, or the contour of a perfect mug. Supremme and this season felt more organic and natural to me.

Supremme sort of,  in ways renewed my fire in the drag race franchise, but what impressed me more was once the show ended, they hit the road traveling Spain with four shows weekly. Unlike the US tour of Drag Race, Supremme actually performs with the queens and even has her own numbers!!! Why is Ru not doing that? Which to me creates even further distance with her girls. I feel as though the queens are her cash cow and she is just collecting a check at this point. I think her absence and her attitude lately is why some fans and queens are leaving her base. So Brava Supremme Deluxe.

Then we had Fred Van Leer.
Fred has been a pretty good host , representing the Holland version, not to mention he is hot out of drag. He could tap me if he wanted.  Fred is a combination of Ru and Supremme. While he too is very interactive with the queens more than Ru, he can also blow his top, if he's isn't happy. He really lit into Vivaldi for breaking rules this season. Fred is a Dutch stylist,  a television host, and a retired drag queen, who was once very well known as one of the highest profile queens in the Netherlands before drag exploded on the scene there. He used various names over a 21 year career in Rotterdam,  and written several books on styling and lifestyle. Now I find it fun that he was behind the scenes in the work room more as he always found the most intresting part of drag was getting in it. And we do agree on one thing...the best way to learn walking in heels is to chug down a bottle of gin and start taking baby steps!!! 

Both he and Supremme also didn't have a problem with having other drag queens on the show as judges, which is yet another sticking point with me with RuPaul. Why are some other legendary queens never on as judges??? Who better to judge queens, then another drag queen??? It blows my mind that the like of Coco Peru, Amanda Lepore, Varla Jean, Miss Richfield or the like haven't been on as judges.  Could you imagine Ru judging a few episodes with Supremme, Fred and Envy???This year, on Holland  the UK, and Down Under, the fabulous Envy Peru has judged.
A stunning queen in her own right, and very well liked by many a drag queen. It has been said on Holland and her other appearances above in addition to Espana, she has shown herself to be fairly sharp and astute judge, with sharp critiques that make sense, yet gives constructive and precise feedback so queens are left wondering about vague critiques. Sometime I think the American version really suffers from Ru and the judges apparent "no other drag queens allowed on the judges panel" rule.

Which brings us to Brooklyn Hytes.
 Brooklyn is a stunning queen, no doubt. She was killer on her season and came close to the win. But unlike Envy Peru, she is missing something as a judge and hostess of the show representing Canada's Drag Race. I felt she was so not a good fit for the show. Her view of drag was off. It seems every over the top queen was too over the top or campy for her on the first season. What part of drag does she not get? I felt she came across very biased and dare even say,  snotty at times. The fishy queens definitely had more attention. If you can't be open to various forms of drag, why is she judging? I was actually highly surprised she was back for season two with so many not happy with last season... Ill give her the benefit of the doubt for season two. We shall see.

All I'm saying is if this were a witches coven, I think there might be a new Supremme taking the reigns. .

30 comments:

  1. I loved Supreme in Drag Race Spain. Even when Inti left, she kept her cool.
    I think Frank was a RIOT. And kind of hot as a guy? I would let him hit it.
    I also think Brooklyn is learning the ropes. She'll get better.
    Now, Ru. I have thoughts about her but you just gave me ideas for a post. As always, you've read my mind.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do read each other I swear handsome...just like that dirty thought you just had!!!!

      I would look forward to reading any post you do...I always do. I seem to have got a thing for Supremme. She just blew me away. 💓

      Delete
  2. You know I absolutely agree with everything you say about Brooke Lynn Hytes. I'm surprised she's back for Season 2 as well. Her narrow, unfair and biased judging is the reason I didn't even bother to finish watching Season 1 and the reason I won't waste my time watching Season 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get crave so I didn't see the whole show in it's entirety. And the same for season two. But I saw enough that made me cringle with Brooklyn and it quite honestly shocked me.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen a lot of the international drag race shows, but I do think Ru has become too much, too all over, and therefore she might not be as invested as she was once upon a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, thats part of it too. But she needs to keep her ass on the US version. The queens of these international version are even too much for Ru I think, and like I said she is missing many of the local and national reference statements many of the queens make. And then it comes across as insulting.

      Delete
  4. I liked the one of the fellow on the throne the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You absolutely nailed this, babe. Ru has become too distant, too uninvolved, and always, always all about the fish. And don't even get me started on how the big and beautiful never seem to make it all the way to the top in Ru's world. He would have booted Divine off the show in the first ep. A bitch needs to either hang up her wig or get out of the 1980's and see whats happening NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has only been one big gal winner and that's been Lawrence Chaney in the UK. But I can't believe in 13 seasons a big queen has now won. Granted they need to be crowned for pure talent, and not just awarded because of color, trans, or age to say Oh look we have a good variety of the LGBTQ. I really do think Ginger was robbed twice. She can do it all and them some, and is a true camp bitch. Though Sonique on this season was very deserving too.

      Delete
  6. To me, it seems so colorful, joyful, and fun.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, if there's a new supreme... make sure to get Stevie Nicks to come on and do a cameo or sing one of her magic songs... NOW... that is a season of American Horror Story I would watch... why hasn't Ryan Murphy written about a drag competition with killer queens? Talk about a hoot. I think everybody would have their knives out for Ru, though, poor dear. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this season did see some drag queen action Upton....but a full season of drag theme could be fun. It would sure beat seeing a story of Mamie Eisenhower being taken over by aliens for Christ sake.

      Delete
  8. I loved this post. I don't think I've seen or read a whole article on the hosts of the show, and I agree with your assessment. It is painfully honest, Ru just sees money signs and assembly line drag at this point. Brooklyn follows as a chip off the old block. Loved her as a contestant, but she is killing my fandom as a judge. I have long thought why are past winners not brought back as judges and mentors for whole episodes, or as permanent judges and lose either Carlson or Ross? Raven only comes back because she now does Ru's make up. Ru's skuffle with Mathu was swept under the carpet quite quickly and is the reason Willam has such distaste for Ru now, as far as even telling her to her face to Go fuck yourself. And more and more girls are turning on the hand that fed them for good reason. And there is a good reason many girls have not been asked to come back for All Stars. We queens talk, and many have said things off the record, and many are much to gracious to knock her off her golden throne. Carmen, Courtney, Pearl, Willam and Detox and now even Delta and Tahmisha are not vicious, but have good reasons to dislike her and her attitude. All of Ru's other counterparts are shinning not only as warm and gracious, but mentors as well, and spend the time to get to know the queens and are open to different forms of drag. Suprpemme has gotten such good feedback, Im only surprised Ru has not had her replaced, because of her good positive reviews. God forbid anyone gets good reviews of a warm personality and fair judging. Ru is consumed with getting more money and Emmy's at the point and nothing more. I know she has done much good, but she has, alas, forgotten her Atlanta and NYC roots...the true self she was, not just the talk of memories now. One reason I like Bunny. She is just as well known around the globe with a long drag career...and yet keeps her roots in the community and is accessible. Ru has herself shut off in a ivory tower...and this is where she goes wrong. She SHOULD BE in the tour with the girls going cross country. But where girl at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you hit another nail of the head. I think RuPaul has created to much distance between herself and her girls, your right. I have heard she is actually not in the werkroom as much as we think...so it's mostly at the end she mostly interacts. I still don't know why she wouldn't tour with the queen. Even if just to play hostess, and create a comradery atmosphere.

      Delete
  9. Some of your commenters have summed up better what I was thinking. I myself didn't notice RuPauls difference either till I saw the Spain season, and I was blown away with this Supremme DeLuxe. And Fred is just too adorable and funny. I t blew my mind when I saw it for the first time in drag and he was stunning. Ru should wake up and take a break and come back fresh I feel, before she does ruin her legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred's drag is lovely. And more my own style. When I did drag it wasn't important to try to be as fishy as possible. Hell, even doing the Pam Demic schtick was hard for me to let go and only do partial drag for giggles.

      Delete
  10. Excellent! I think we agree too. RuPaul at this point is only eye candy on the show. I think she should hang it up and go on to something more meaningful..a cross between Were Here and showcase local queens, why they do drag, how they got started, and offer up tips on how to get into drag, make tips and the such. And yes, the LA queens, without mentioning names, and even ones who appear to like RuPaul have said some nasty things about her and the show, but I aint one to gossip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that part of the reason We're Here is doing well and also winning awards. People are now thirsty to see other parts of drag in different forums.

      Delete
  11. Much like Norma, I have worked with a ton of Ru girls, and there are more than a few queens have issues with RuPaul. They just wont say publicly. Still enjoy the show, but am fast liking the international ones more...they are not so drawn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Cleo. I think some of the chatter also alerted me to somethin' going on here.

      Delete
  12. Fred and Supremme are gorgeous. I've never been able to walk in heels and if I drank gin and then tried, I'd break an ankle or a foot or both. YOU are the one who should take over for Ru. Your commentary on the show is always great and you know what's needed.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your way to kind Janie!!!! And you know what? I sometime where my high heels to clean the house in so my feet stay used to them!!!

      Delete
    2. I want a picture of you cleaning while in your heels.

      Delete
  13. Using drag queens to judge other drag queens seems perfectly logical to me. And having locals on (or does one have to say indigenous persons nowadays? I can't keep up with all this PC shit) who are attuned to local humour and the local scene, is also perfectly reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think more drag queen involvement would be more entertaining too! Some of the guest judges they get are about as funny as the trump administration.

      Delete
  14. I have an idea, but you might not like it.

    Someone needs to run to Amazon Prime or AppleTV and pitch a similar show but with different hosts. If it can work for Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn, then it should work for someone else willing to make the leap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it ever went to Amazon, Id have to part ways with Drag Race. LOL!!!!!!

      Delete
  15. I actually have seen some RuPaul doll and they are stunning. Imagine the creations you could create for them?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!