Sunday, May 19, 2019

LATE NIGHT....A DEEPER LOVE


This past week, I was reminded of a lovely little house song on RuPaul's Drag Race. Two queens had to lip-synch to the song A Deeper Love. With all due respect to Aretha Franklin, Deborah Cooper's original version can not be outdone. Ms Cooper with C&C Music Factory tore that up children!!!! This song was one of the best memories I have coming into my own new gay life. When this song played,  the dance floor would be jammed pack with sweaty shirtless men pumping and grinding, queens cutting runways, and the club kids doing their schtick. Every square inch of the club my group and I went to, no matter what city, was pack with people dancing to this jig. Even in the bathrooms!!!! One night I can remember two beefy guys lifting me up onto a cigarette machine so I could dance...which started my box dancing sessions ...but that's another story. No, this song, was like no other and had an affect like no other dance song I have ever seen. If this song didn't get you having some late night church...I'd would have checked for a pulse before taking your gay card.
 Deborah Cooper started as female vocalist for the Fatback Band, then as lead female vocalist and member of disco/R&B band Change, where she made several hits. In 1991 she featured as guest vocalist on Clivillés and Cole's legendary hit single A Deeper Love. Subsequently, in the 1990s, she was part of the C+C Music Factory as both a lead and back up vocalist resulting with several # 1 hits including "Deeper Love", "Pride" and "Keep It Comin" , before Martha Wash stepped in. To this day, no other club or house song can get me dancing every time, or give me the chills like this one.And when played today...it still packs a punch on the dance floor. I dare you to NOT move something to this ditty.

17 comments:

  1. Reminisce bitch! It got me mooooooving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most gorgeous house groove to date. And your right with respect to Aretha, Deborah tore this up.

    Dancing on a cigarette machine?!?! But I do remember your Shampoo box dances. How your went so long is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh definitely the best version I agree. Now I wanna go dance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something I swallowed back in the 90's just kicked back in. And something very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You best at least get Miss Congeniality!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. I knew as soon as I heard it on DR that it wasn't the version I liked best.
    Thanks for bringing it back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. God. You took me back, way back, with this one. I danced to that tune I can't tell you how many times in discos, bars, and dives. It is such a great song, I may have to pull out the old cassette tapes, rewind, and hit play one more time. They don't write music like that any more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a way to start a Sunday! xoxoxox :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHEN DANCE MUSIC WAS GREAT !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was only a teen when this was out, but their playing it at teat dances here in weho now. This is one of the most legendary and hottest House songs ever produced I'm sure. A true House Music Classic for those House Music lovers out there.

    I think we also need to hear more club stories from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Preach it Sista Deborah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cap Chasen5/19/2019

    As a gay man in his twilight years, this brought back some wonderful memories. I was already in my late 50's when this song hit the clubs, so I didn't dare make an ass of myself trying to dance to it. I too never saw a song infect a crowd so. They would even be on the bar dancing! I wish I had been younger in the 90's. I feel it was when the best and the last of the real good house music was. But you know what, you did get this old man up and dancing today, but I will spare you any of the visuals. Funny how a song can get you going and lift the spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. THE Ultimate dancefloor weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love me some Deborah Cooper doing A deeper Love (Aretha’s is a classic in itself, tho). House music has always, always, property of the children. Category is, dance!

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  14. It doesn’t get better than this. Bloody marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember running lights to this gay anthem song at Backstreet in Atlanta Georgia. Those were the nights and this is one of many anthems I still hold strong in my memory...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delaware Ave. in Philly 98-2002. Egypt, Maui, Babylon, Baja, Chrome, Woody's Deco.... The club scene in Philly was the sh*t back in the day. Dj Skribbles would have his MTV Global Groove parties at Egypt. It was where I first met RuPaul.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!