Sunday, May 19, 2019

LAVENDER

There is never a end to the things to see or do in my neck of the woods. I look back now and for the life of me can't figure out how I didn't want to move here years ago. Above is the covered bridge up the road from the Casa that goes to the lake. My mother absolutely loves the area too, and has even given thought to making the move here as well. She deicide to come down last weekend,  and as part of the time, I wanted to take her to Peace Valley Lavender Farm up the road.  When the fields are in full bloom in June and July the smell is incredible. And lavender is one of those plants that I swear by for relaxation and other purposes.
The field dog Lavender Lily was there to greet us!

They raise several varieties of English lavender and lavandins with more than 3,000 plants blooming on their hillside. And with that raw material they produce a wide variety lavender products: bath & body, culinary, dried floral, sachets & pillows.  Lavender,lavander, or lavandar - it doesn't matter much how you spell it. If it's lavender you want, they've got it - growing plants, bulk blossoms, dried bunches, essential oil and more. Peace Valley Lavender Farm and Shop is located in historic Bucks County, overlooking the verdant Peace Valley Park. With a beautiful view of Lake Galena, where I go for nightly jogs, and the sun warming their southern sloping fields, it is an ideal growing spot for one of nature's most aromatic treasures, lavender. I let my mother pick out what she wanted and we got to see the drying room too. I was not disappointed with the candles I got either. So fragrant. It's nice to be able to also support local businesses first.

Historical anecdotes tell us that the lavender field workers and perfumers of the Middle Ages survived the Black Death and other plagues because lavender protected them from the lethal bacteria. The power of lavender to stimulate and supplement in the body's healing forces is unmatched by modern pharmaceuticals. And amidst the aromatic plants, there seems to be no other plant essence equaling its broad properties. It can kill pathogens in the air and in nasal sinuses and respiratory airways. It stimulates the immune system, yet it's also analgesic, soothing muscle aches, taking the pain out of insect bites and much more. Not only does lavender have hydrating, anti-microbial, and anti-inflammatory properties, lavender is also a nerve tonic and an antidepressant, boosting one's spirits as well as helping to beat "the blues" that accompany immune stress and illness. In addition, modern studies of burn patients have confirmed that oil of lavender eases pain, enhances healing and prevents scar tissue from forming. All of this is done non-toxically!

When we first got there it was after a rain storm, but then the sun came out and...
Just in time before Pride month starts. 

32 comments:

  1. oooooooooooooooooh, a double rainbow! I do love the smell of lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks quaint and peaceful. Have never been in but I know right where it is. And thanks for the very informative talk about lavender, I never knew any of that. A girlfriend of mine told me the gift shop is charming and you'll want to purchase one of every product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost smell the aroma. Love the covered bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going back years, that's the one thing I loved about Bucks County...all the hidden gem one finds everywhere. I can only imagine the smell. What a nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to move and live there! It's so beautiful. You look great in the farmer's hat. Is that a tool belt under your shirt. I think I might faint. If you're wearing wellies, call an ambulance! I may not make it back to Miami if you pull up driving a pick up truck. I need my smelling salts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walter...that's not me, but one of the farm hands. Though I do have a tool, under my shirt currently. You come visit and Ill show you around, and you can show me how to knit.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! Gosh I love the smell of lavender.
    And I think I also read about the whole Black Death story. It works for me because I associate it with calm and relaxation 😎
    And what’s that about you in a farmer’s hat?
    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what Walter is talking of. He must think the field hand is me. There candle are heavenly...you'd love them.

      Delete
  7. If I were to grow something for the scented oils and bath crowds, my first question would be... is there a large LGBTQ community near by?
    Oh for Pete's sake, right on cue... you show up and fricken rainbows start showing up everywhere! Lol
    The chicken nerd in me has to name that bird, I can't control it... Silver Laced Wyandotte, ahhh that's better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA!!!! Thank you for that. I wondered what chicken that was. And I also find it weird that being in a huge filled hamlet such as New Hope and Doylestown...that was get so many rainbows. Coincidence? Last year we had one the day before Gay Pride for Pete's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just at our gay pride yesterday. Very fun.

      Delete
  8. What a beautifully decorated little shop, especially with the guard dog!!!! I bet your mother enjoyed the place. It's also pretty cool to see the covered bridge. I love these posts from your area. Hard to believe it's just outside philly?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay... I'll bite... why was there a chicken in the field? Was he on his way to the other side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe he was just stretching his legs!

      Delete
  10. Loves Lavender Lily and
    Abby is concerned about the
    chicken...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just bet when the full bloom comes, it's like a purple paradise! I too love the Lavender Lily is over seeing everything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love lovely little local attractions like this. Never been to a lavender farm...but I can only imagine the smells. Very pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhhhhhhhh the smell of Lavender!!! I bet your mother love it. The products look great. I actually use a lavender bed linen spray before bed to sleep better. See I can get queenie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember having lavender cologne; i rather liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lavender also makes some splendid cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you...yes. One of my favorite local haunts the Boat House has a most excellent gin and tonic infused with lavender and rosemary....actually very refreshing and crisp.

      Delete
  16. Lavender rules. Is this place on the Internet? As in, do they have an online store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes tootes, I believe they do...Ill check....

      Delete
    2. I sent you an email dear.

      Delete
  17. Nothing like the therapeutic breath of lavender. I have been out to Peace Valley and never knew this was here. Seems to me I played an event here, But I seem to remember they had some donkeys and mules. Is this the same place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you remembering carsoual farm in Buckingham. I is sadly closed. The owners sold it and returned from whenist they came. It's a bed and breakfast now.

      Delete
  18. Thank you for sharing your journey with us! I love lavender. They are so sweetly old-fashioned and romantic. I tried growing them once, but they didn't do well. So I tried again and again and they took. Now I have a whole bed of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of a sudden Im feeling sleepy…….

    ReplyDelete
  20. A couple of times I have baked a lavender cake, very subtle flavor. Such a pretty place, and a nice farmer. I never question the motive of chickens. If I were farming lavender I would keep them around to keep the bugs down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cake sounds amazing. I'd like that with a nice white icing. I've had lavender ice cream which was also very appealing.

      Delete
  21. Carlos would love it up there.
    Lavender is his favorite scent and he would go crazy.
    Plus it's gorgeous and there's a dog???
    Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's such a beautiful plant, fresh or dried. Beautiful lavender hedges were popular and prolific in Las Vegas. But, I've never been to a lavender farm, nor have we ever planted any, because bees LOVE lavender and I'm allergic to bees. It's the pits.

    ReplyDelete
  23. An honest-to-God covered bridge. Haven't seen one of those since I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!