Friday, May 12, 2023

WHERE LOVE LIVES



Say what you want about dance clubs and the club era. When I came out, I was skeptical and nervous at first to even go into the club. One of my first tricks finally dragged me out. And that was it. I knew then I had found my tribe with the first sounds of the thump thumpa!!!! While I was never really in the closet, no door was strong enough to hold me back, and in....but it was a relief to know there were others. There were some people who never hung out in clubs...but I'm so glad I did and still do if I'm in a city that has the big clubs. Philly still has a huge community of club's thank heavens. It was magical for me...to feel the music, and the mood, soak it in, and let the music take you to a higher plane. The club to me, back then, was a place for all ages, any shape, any gender and sexuality, all incomes and colors. We could come together, and the club vibe and music joined everyone together. The queerness and music joined us. I had the best of times in clubs, and every friend I met in a club or through drag? I'm STILL friends with. Honey Dion once said that dancefloors can unify, unlike governments and religions can't. And I'm with her...they can't. It was like church for me...took me to higher planes where I could soar. Once I got into NYC clubs and met the Lady Bunny and club kids, and one night at the Roxy where we ran into Lady Miss Kier...I knew I was not looking back. If I showed up as me...fine. in drag, fine. In between. Fine...no one cared. I don't know how much different my life or outlook now would be if I was just now coming out? I suspect I wouldn't be as colorful for one thing. I almost feel sorry for the young gay population as they won't experience this as much as my generation. I could hang with the cute boys just as much as the club kids, fems and queens. And once I hit the dance floor I was done, and would remain for most of the night...or up on a box. To this day, dance and house music will always be in my blood. It was during the pandemic I fell into an online show of Glitterbox, and one TeTe Bang was present. It was love at first site.

Popular Slut Club? Any wonder I would love her! And we are both extremely visual. After the online show I followed her on Instagram, and we eventually started to DM. Her story was another with a happy ending due to the dance club and it allowing her to be who she wanted. Dance clubs were always our safe space. But with more and more safe spaces and mixed clubs, which is great that we have much more acceptance, well, most days, and a wider visibility, I can't lie...still give to the big club and that vibe any day! TeTe came out as a lesbian...and she says she never felt like she fit in with the Lesbyterian culture. She found her niche....drag!!!! And why not? She hit the scene even before Victoria Scone came along.

Since then, the eclectic TeTe Bang was recognized as one of Attitude's Magazines queer voices of the future and was among one of the first self-identifying female lesbian drag queens to appear on the gay club scene and she says she will continue to challenge the norm, and on a mission to spread positivity around the world. And don't get me stated on all her vintage store finds and creations.
Tete had asked if I'd seen the documentary Where Love Lives Series. It was released during the pandemic. She thought I may like it. And she was right. The documentary explores music's enduring power to manifest diverse and inclusive community, to accept and embrace, to liberate, even to save lives. It's a film about acceptance and creative expression. I just rewatched it again, and it still give me chills and euphoria just watching it. Dancefloors and the club era enriched my life and gave me life and still do. I almost feel sorry for those that never felt that. I had a friend that despised clubs...but it was because he wouldn't make the effort to talk or the just let loose. And he certainly didn't know how to act with those different from him. He eventually looked down on the club crowd and bar flies...but you know what? When I would have an issue or personal crisis, they were the ones there for me...not the buttoned-up Ralph Lauren gay picnic cloth crowd, who said they were friends. If you used to go out, still do, love colorful people or to get a taste of the club...this film is great. There are also snippets of the legendary Honey Dion, Kathy Sledge and Billy Porter, along with TeTe Bang. I couldn't agree more with what my club sisters and brothers say in this film.

25 comments:

  1. I feel myself so slut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone...you have seen my video evidence!

      Delete
    2. I'd love to get drunk with your dick & cum!

      Delete
  2. LOVE THIS!!!! And I fell in love with TeTe.

    Hennnnnnny......House music is my religion, and the clubs were my church!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this when it came out...great messages...This is an amazing film! It seems odd and sad at time that the nightclub and it's culture is not a huge part of the gay culture as much anymore. It really was a gathering ground and a special fun place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Firestone, Southern Nights, Cactus Club - I was young and beautiful once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a good documentary, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow does that take me back. Picture a very young man in Los Angeles before the time of the big clubs like Circus or The Millionairs Club. There was a small club, I think it was on Beverly Blvd. called DISCO. That was all, just DISCO. I don't know if that is where it all started or not, it really does not matter, but I almost lived there. They had what we now call DJ's who would come in and mix those really fast BPM sounds that got inside your blood stream and just made you feel alive. What a memory it is. Thanks for this post, it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the beautiful thing about this post and why I wanted to post it. I always love hearing everybody's Club Day stories. Most people you talk to you have very fun happy memories happy memories. Actually in this documentary there's a blurb that disco got its start in New York City and Philadelphia, from the LGBT, black and Puerto Rican communities.

      Delete
  7. OMG Yes!
    I love Glittlerbox and Defected. My go-to House Music monsters. I loved this documentary because as you said, the dancefloor UNIFIES. Everybody is free there. I miss going to clubs. They were my lifeline when I was a wee gayling. We should go out, babes.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too I'm always happy and love life but I am never more happy than I am on a dance floor or in a club seeing the people feel the music I just love it. You'd be very hard-pressed to get me off the dance floor.

      Delete
  8. One of the iconic clubs here shut down almost a decade ago. Sad, because it was exactly how you described. We were driving to the airport to pick someone up and --- OMG --- the club is open again. A HUGE line of people waiting to get in. Even though my club days are long over, it made me happy to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the dance clubs! What an interesting person Tete is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That must be a big club; aren't all sluts popular?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Print Works where glitter box is held is one hell of a huge Club. And yes I've been told I've been very popular.

      Delete
  11. I wasn't much into clubs, though I did go to a few back in the day, but we had a bar in Sacramento called faces that was likes, as I say, Cheers for Queers, and was a fun friendly relaxed club/bar!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the club, but I stopped going once I figured out I was one of the eldest people there. I think I was about 26 then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God, I think I was going religiously until my late 30s. Even in my 40s I was probably still going at least twice a month.. and then the pandemic hit.

      Delete
  13. Do you know, I hate dancing! I'm so self conscious I just can't get past it but I love, love,love to see others dance. It makes me truly happy.
    I would have loved to see you in drag. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't been clubbing for years! However, I do agree - I may have already been going out regularly and dancing at workman's clubs and especially at "Bowie/Roxy Music/New Romantic" nights at an ostensibly "straight" venue, but my "real" life began with a shudder of excitement and fear on taking that first step into a gay club in 1984... Freedom at last. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Back in my Youth I often went to Clubs, both Straight and Gay Clubs... it is unifying and Music is so visceral. Most of the Clubs closed down and I haven't seen a resurgence locally... tho' the Grandsons tell me there are Raves and an Underground connection, especially for their Tribe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anges Goldberg5/13/2023

    Not sure why I can't sign in today?

    I was never much into clubs when in my youth...but the hubby and I had been to a few clubs in NYC...including three separate trips to Studio 54, and a few tea dances on Fire Island.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who you telling!!!! I was queen of the nightclub...at one time I was frequenting just about every nightclub in Philly. The good old days! I still go out but now more lounges and pubs...with the occasional club night. I understand that video so well.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!