Wednesday, May 17, 2023

JEWEL OF BUDAPEST

By far, even before my trip, one of my favorite architectural buildings, at least in the top 10, has always been the magnificent Parliament building. Upon first sighting, I have always loved it. So I couldn't wait to see it. When friends that had been there already, several made a strong point of telling me to make sure I went to see it. Warbucks did a great job of enough planning and free days, but made sure the itinerary had time to permit me to go see it several times. Day and night. On the first night there, Warbucks had book tickets for a nice cruise along the Danube River, which gives a bird's eye view of the building. And at night it is spectacularly illuminated. I dare say it is one of the most beautiful parliaments on the globe. Just exquisite architecture and detail, and MASSIVE. When you're standing on the ground next to it, how small you feel...it just soars right up.


The construction of the Parliament building began in 1880, and inaugurated on the 1000th anniversary of the country in 1896, but construction didn't finish till 1904. 40 million bricks were used, as well as a half a million precious stones and 88lbs of gold. Inside the building there are 10 courtyard, 13 elevators, 27 gates and 29 grand staircases and 691 rooms. The building itself was built in the Gothic Revival style and the dome rising in at 415 high is Renaissance Revival. The main facade overlooks the Danube. Inside and out there are well over 242 sculptures, standing and on walls. The building is riddled with ornamental frescoes depicting coats of arms of kings and dukes, statues, and many stunning stained-glass windows and glass mosaics by Miksa Roth.
Taken from Fishermen's Bastion

Warbucks had a connection to get us security clearance and a guide for an interior tour. Normally, without it, you'll only get to see the grand staircase and not a step beyond. The interior got progressively better with each step. To take pictures in certain areas, permission needs to be asked first...but nothing a few blow jobs didn't help with!!! The piece de la resistance inside was in the Central Hall...the Holy Crown of Hungary. This was the coronation crown used by the Kingdom of Hungary for most of it's existence...over 50 kings were crowned with it.  The crown itself was created during the reign of Bela III under Byzantine influence. The crown was first worn for the coronation of Stephen I and given to him January 1. 1001AD. And the dome from inside looked breathtaking.

Needless to say, I was speechless when we left. I came back with over 150 photos alone of just this building.



40 comments:

  1. Stunning! So glad you were able to tour the interior! Thanks for all the fab photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/18/2023

    Tundra Bunny here....

    Wow, what a magnificent building and truly steeped in history! It must be overwhelming to see it in person. I'm surprised it wasn't looted and/or destroyed in WWII by either the Nazis or Soviets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting point. Other buildings, I saw had mentioned fire or damage to them during World War II. But nothing was pointed out on the tour. At another venue there was war talk about Budapest laying in ruins, with more than 70 percent of its buildings destroyed or damaged, with historical buildings like the Hungarian Parliament Building and the Castle among them with minimal damage. All seven bridges, including the Chain Bridge, spanning the Danube were destroyed, by soviets and Germans, when Hungarians were packed on them evacuating the city.

      Delete
  3. love your love for buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand your enthusiasm. That first view from the river must have given you shivers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really captured this building. I too have always seen pictures of it, but wasn't sure what it was, but loved it too. Your pictures show a beautiful story that is garnished most appropriately with your written word. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning images! The details are just incredible and so ornate. You certainly don't see buildings like that here. And I can just image to scale, I've seen it in films or ads, and it looks just huge. Loved the tidbit about the crown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of all your travels, this now may be tied with Buenos Aires for me. This post! That is the most stunning architecture I’ve seen in a long time now! Now Hungary is going up on my travel list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have visited the Parliament in Budapest and remember being, breathless, amazed at the grandeur, detail, and beauty of it as well. The scale was quite something, and it is gorgeous right along the Danube. Your photos really capture it! I hope to do a return visit one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just got back from the Balkans and Transylvania Tour a few months ago and we then, joined the tour of the Hungarian parliament. It’s Stunning, Magnificent, breathtakingly beautiful. The guards told us no picture taking inside the parliament with any prior security check first. Had I known. But you are right, with it, one can only see the main floor area and the main grand staircase. The security was actually a bit frightening and intimidating. But the building is a marvel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the security is so smartly dressed!

      Delete
  10. The Hungarian Parliament Building in Budapest is magnificent! I’ve never seen such a place in person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have travel to many cities in the past, I think it’s the most beautiful Parliament building in the World, hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous building though it looks more religious than governmental; and you can tell how massive it is from your wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you imagine the task to put in plumbing, electrical, and elevators and still maintain the integrity of the architectural features? Monumental!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please....I can't even imagine all the cleaning!

      Delete
  14. My word... what a beauty. How fortunate that you got to spend time there. Thank you for photographing everything. Marvelous pictures. I had no idea the city held such treasures. Well, that's not true... it did have you for awhile, so I did know of one treasure it held. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go!!!! With you love of art culture and architecture...and yes....the man action.....you'd love it Upton!!!!! Your really to kind with you comment....im your clay....undress me!

      Delete
  15. You had me at 'Danube River'.
    And this is absolutely stunning. The upkeep must cost a pretty penny. Very ornate and almost... churchlike???

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being on the Danube is one of the best ways to view the city...especially the parliament building. I really got a feel for where everything was located..

      Delete
  16. Once part of the Byzantine empire, much of Hungary became part of the Ottoman empire. Prince Eugene, of Blenheim, Malplaquet and Oudenaarde fame, was in the army that took Buda from the Ottomans in 1686. I do envy you your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ottoman? But what of the Sofas?

      Delete
    2. So grateful, Maddie, that SOMEONE remembered the Sofa Empire. Sofas don't get the credit they deserve. Damned Ottomans.

      Delete
    3. And don't get me started on the Chaise Lounges Mitchell. They never got the credit they deserved either. They have caught many of us with their softness..

      Delete
    4. I think you two are having a larff at the expense of the Ottomans. You might have thought differently in Constantinople in 1453. As for the chaise longues......it very much depends on the padding and whether it is a left or right hander.

      Delete
  17. This made my whole day. My God it's astounding! You know what; I showed the last batch of pix to my Biker and he was SUPER IMPRESSED. And he isn't one to get starry eyed about travel or architecture, but he went over it and over it and then looked it up online. See what you went and did? You made two people happy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Budapest has got to be right up there with my favorite trips. I enjoy it far more than I thought I would...and the culture, way of living and architecture is just soooo different then here. But this has always been a favorite building of mine sweet pea. It's been on my bucketlist for some time. And don't get me started on the food and cocktails!

      Delete
  18. ...not to mention whoever you had to blow to get clearance I have no doubt. We salute all that hard work you do for us, baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't call then HUNG-arians for nothing toots! My jaw is still dislocated.

      Delete
  19. OMG! What gorgeous photos, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that's what I call a monumental building! Fabulous - I really must plan a visit one day. \\jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gin Blossom, I was highly shocked when you revealed you hadn't been yet. I certainly was a taken back by just how much of a nice city it was, with so much to offer.

      Delete
  21. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! That is jaw dropping. I have seen that building before, but I don't think I knew it was the parliament building. The Parliament is beautiful from the outside but even more so inside! Absolutely magnificent! This was the highlight of your visit to Budapest I'm guessing, with exception to see Warbucks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The ONLY thing I got to see while we toured Budapest. This is the ONE thing to NOT miss if in Budapest. Truly giant and breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was wondering when this building was coming. The city's most famous recognized building. You had a
    great experience...it looks incredible and fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful building. I can imagine it takes a small army of maids to keep that place tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow. I've seen this before until now. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!