Wednesday, May 10, 2023

STATE CAPITOL

When on October 4, 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt dedicated the present Pennsylvania state Capitol Building, he declared it the most handsome building he'd ever seen. And year after year, it gets voted the most beautiful and opulent in the country over other state houses. As one who's never been here and drives into Harrisburg and catches site of the gleaming gilded bronze dome...there intrigued by just how big and opulent it is for a small city. But once you walk it and the grounds, one can see why President Roosevelt made such a claim. When I lived here before and lived downtown, it was always my favorite place to go to walk and relax. And it still is. I will often after work head in town, park, and take a walk or read a book in Capitol Park and unwind and relax outdoors. The place really is a marvel. I took these about two weeks ago.

Here, one can gaze into the magnificent dome modeled after the central vault of St Peter's Cathedral in Rome, here the dome rises 272 feet about the ground floor, and most of the rotunda and hallways are all Italian marble, including the central grand staircase. and the legislative chambers are ridiculously ornate, and resemble the Paris Opera House, with chandleries in both chambers each weighing over 5 tons each. Many tileworks by Henry Mercer are featured through the capitol. There are paintings and murals featured by Violet Oakley and stained-glass windows in both chambers created by William Brantly Van Ingen...all Pennsylvanians. The capitol is indeed a monument to Pennsylvania's wealth and confidence in it's greatness as the twentieth century began.

Capitol Park...find a bench and plant yourself. Read, watch all the cute pages in suits, hubba, hubba, or feed the numerous squirrels scurring about. 
The rotunda and the Senate chamber.
If you're in the Burg...it's definitely worth checking out and offers a free tour. A friend of mine who does maintenance there is one day going to take me up into the dome. You can actually walk around the very tip on the dome on a narrow walkway, but it's not open to the public. I can't wait to see the view from there.

This is a view looking down State Street toward the St Patrick's Cathedral and the Susquehanna River. It's a very walkable city.

37 comments:

  1. I used to live near Capitol Park in Sacramento, and loved the gardens there, and am kinda partial to that statehouse. But this one is also such a regal structure from a time that has long since passed.
    You wanna see an ugly building look at Salem Oregon's Capitol! Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a sister who lived in Oregon...and I agree. It is very odd and ugly!!!

      Delete
    2. It's like they were going for a dome, and then said, 'Nah.'

      Delete
    3. I'm going to have to google this........

      Delete
    4. Oh my God you two are right. Can you say ugly?!

      Delete
  2. Before I moved to Philly I lived two blocks from the capital henny....it's the only thing I miss about Harrisburg. If they didn't have that beautiful building, there wouldn't be anything otherwise to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember many times touring the capitol complex...it is stunning, and even go as far to say the rotunda and the legislative chambers are even more ornate and opulent then that of the US Congress Building itself. Excellent photo captures Mistress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I definitely agree. The legislative Chambers are by far more ornate than that of the Congress building in DC.

      Delete
  4. My lands!!!!! That is gorgeous!!!!! You should see ours. Compared to this ours looks like a dump!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen it in person, but the building look massive!!!! I guess it would have to be to support numerous 5 ton chandeliers! It's more impressive in person like other things I saw when I visited!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very big capital building, three floors and the actual complex grounds consists of seven other major buildings including the Forum where special performance and cultural events go on.

      Delete
  6. The numerous times we got to Harrisburg; we didn’t have time to visit the state capital much since they were mostly weekend trips to visit our dear friends who lived there. We saw and walked the outdoor plenty, but really regretting we never did the whole tour. We did once peep into the rotunda and my jaw dropped. Talk about feeling like an ant! What a beautiful building. I will definitely need a return visit to see my friend one day I hope! Her husband too passed on just recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always amazed me that this building is in Harrisburg.

      Delete
  7. I’ve never been there, so thanks for the tour. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen all 50 but it's definitely better looking than South Carolina's especially considering y'all have a better Governor than we do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our governor only just took office...and I can't believe all the good things he's done already, and he makes both sides work together...he is excellent...others should follow his lead.

      Delete
  9. A few famous things I look forward to seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Opulent is the correct word!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ornate, but not too ornate. That's what makes it stand out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing that bites my ass or those Renaissance sculptures on either side of the main door to the building. Years ago, when the conservative started going nuts they were bitching about the male penises on the statues. So they were then restored, and had more believes placed over the penises. For god sakes people it's a Statue!!

      Delete
    2. God-botherers don't have penises, obviously. We in the UK (and the whole of Europe) have been utterly gobsmacked at that recent story of the Florida headmistress who was sacked for teaching her class about Michaelangelo's David!

      It never ceases to amaze me, the true depth of moronic stupidity that pervades this world of supposedly sentient beings. Jx

      Delete
  12. The rotunda has a very Byzantine air to it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice!
    It's funny, but most Capitol buildings follow that classic style. I've been to several (always a good stop, especially when doing a mini-road-trip and you want to rest) and they are always fab and have fantastic stories.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that is a spectacular State House. I'm digging it. I could probably sit by that fountain on a hot summer day easily. Gorgeous architecture and details.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful building. We can't have things like this due to earthquakes, so that's why these types of buildings are so special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right RJ. Architecture on the East Coast and West Coast is extremely different looking.

      Delete
  16. I have never been to a state Capitol building.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Dora there's a first for everything!

      Delete
  17. It's a grand and palatial building, that's certainly true - but Teddy Roosevelt's comment that "the most handsome building he'd ever seen" just indicates that he never travelled anywhere outside the US of A.

    Your own photos from Budapest captured some awe-inspiringly magnificent architecture, and then there's Vienna, Paris, London, Prague and so much more besides... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you trying to make me salivate? It's either you or your back passage that does it!

      Delete
    2. I think a lot of USA & America's people don't travel out of their country.

      Delete
    3. I have seen what I need to of the US.....it's why I prefer to travel abroad now Xersex.

      Delete
  18. Breathtaking building... stunning. I love government buildings - except they're typically filled with at least 51% evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!