Thursday, April 13, 2023

VLAD, THE IMPALER

Probably one of my favorite sites to see while in Budapest was in the heart of the Hungarian capital...a medieval castle that at first glance you would think dates back thousands of years. Vajdahunyad Castle is located in City Park and after visiting there it is one stop that should be on your list. The entrance to City Park is known as Heros Square and reflects the various Hungarian leaders throughout history.

The history of the Vajdahunyad Castle is actually more a recent then you might think. Construction started o this beautiful medieval masterpiece in the late 19th century and was finished in 1896. The original construction of the castle was made out of wood and cardboard...a unique feature which of course didn't stand the test of time. In the mid 20th century, the Budapest government decided to make Vajdahunyad Castle a more permanent structure using brick and stone and was completed in 1908. You may be wondering what it is so spectacular and special about this place that I loved so much? Aside from the beautiful exterior and the overall appearance of the castle, the overall design has an inherent meaning which the architect, Ignac Alpar, intended. His design mimics each architectural style in Hungarian history. From Romanesque to Gothic to Baroque, Vajdahunyad Castle features a number of components in the architectural design that reflects each of the styles. As you begin exploring the grounds, it's possible that will you notice more artistic styles in the composition of the castle. Depicting some of Hungary's most beautiful places. The castle exquisitely takes some of the most breathtaking elements and ideas of these prestigious landmarks.


The Church of Jak was probably the oldest part and the original part of the castle and was in fact a monumental basilica of the Benedictine monastery and was finish around 1256. The church was picked as the best representation of the Romanesque architecture in Hungary. And managed to survive the many battles against the Ottoman Turks, the great fires and other damages. The church of Jak was restored in the late 19th century by Frigyes Schulek, the architect of Fisherman's Bastion from a previous post.

And if that isn't enough, it is also where Bram Stoker is said to get his inspiration for Count Dracula and its castle in the story. Stoker had visited this castle prior to writing the Dracula novels. Dracula's character was most probably based on Vlad the Impaler, the 15th century Transylvanian prince, also known as Vlad III Dracul of Wallachia, who was imprisoned by John Hunyadi in Vajdahunyad Castle for years. So, there is that. The place did indeed give me some sort of eerie vibes I can't lie. But most beautiful...and it's charms draw me in.

35 comments:

  1. The story of Vlad is so interersting. Take a look here

    ReplyDelete
  2. A castle originally made of wood and cardboard? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still some parts of the trim and such made of paper mache!

      Delete
  3. WOW! Anazing place. And to find such a ting in the heart of the city kinda blows the mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely fantastic.
    And who knew that castle was that *recent*? I would have said it was from the XIII century, too! I'm totally jelly about this trip. If I ever go, I think I'm going to need at least two weeks, to be able to appreciate all this beauty....

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have spent another two if work hadn't beaconed.

      Delete
  5. Nice architecture, but to be honest after reading the prior post I was expecting something else when you said Vlad The Impaler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh.....what your thinking would be on the After Dark channel of the blog!!!!!!! bwahahahahahahaha...meanwhile my ass does hurt.

      Delete
  6. Perhaps the architect could be persuaded to come back from the dead and create a new look for Buck House?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen......you incorrigible!!!!!! I love it!

      Delete
  7. I googled my way through translations and finally found out the name of the gent in the final picture - Count Sándor Károlyi and the sculptor was aloyis strobl [and that spelling is likely a cock-up cos I only know about 10 words of Hungarian!] But the whole post is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank heavens your here. You know 10 more words in Hungarian then I.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous4/13/2023

    Beautiful! But did I see a cobweb?? Smooch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Hungarian equivalent of the Victorians did a bloody good job. There are loads of famous landmarks over here, too - Houses of Parliament and Tower Bridge notwithstanding (both "Gothic Revival" Victorian new build) - that look like they're really old when they are actually recent additions/elaborations. The famous north frontage of the very ancient Westminster Abbey is not Medieval, but was finished in the 19th century, and the world-famous "look" of Windsor Castle (built by William the Conqueror) today was constructed at the orders of George IV... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's is truly amazing at what they can do with architecture. While this was not as old, the original part of the castle were very old of what still existed...which was mostly the church part.

      Delete
  10. For me Vlad is scarier than Drac because he allegedly did some horrid things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4/13/2023

    This post is PERFECTLY timed for my trip to Budapest this in two weeks! I just happened upon your blog too. You have got me all excited. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have a blast! Thanks for stopping in and check back for more post.

      Delete
  12. Vlad was bad. Bram rosied him up a bit. Nice staircase.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The stunning Vajdahunyad Castle. Simply the most beautiful, magically stunning castle. There's not a lot there but beautiful to walk around the castle and the area, and in summer months the incredible gardens. When we were there I was in love with this place too. Like you I'm drawn to the Baroque part of the castle. It is just saw pretty and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent post!!!!! When I was there years ago, we walked in on the Baroque side of the castle, and it was so exquisite, when I saw it, it literally knocked the breath from me. Talk about excellent architecture and then to house Vlad?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a huge fan of Art Nouveau or Baroque, that was my favorite part of the castle.

      Delete
  15. omg!!!!!!!!!!!! You had me at the first opening picture. Incredible architecture...incredible history.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The erie charms always draw us in. Place to see.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When can we move there?

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing place. I really enjoyed the view of the buildings. A lot of great architectural elements to be seen in this place.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This place is absolutely calm and peaceful opposite to the famous other sites of Budapest. On my visit I could just sit here for hours around the castle that also has a park watching the ducks and relax . I was there in the summer, and the garden were glorious and what an assortment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see this place in the summer months.

      Delete
  20. After viewing this post, I'm thinking all those years we now made a mistake by not going to Budapest! This is stunning. This is so atmospheric, a pretty building with a lovely city on the river in the city park. A very pleasant place to have a wander around I bet - although the castle is not as old as it looks! But still stunning. And that history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe the background of the castle when I heard of it's history.

      Delete
  21. How Tranquil.....how beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Eastern Europe! A history on its own often snubbed for Western Europe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it far more interesting then Western Europe.

      Delete
  23. Your title was misleading...I expected to read about another of your many tawdry affairs...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!