Sunday, April 30, 2023

RITTENHOUSE SQUARE

Yesterday I went down to Philadelphia to visit with a friend from Harrisburg, who had just moved to Philly. He had lived in Harrisburg since the late 80's, and decided to take the leap and move. Quite frankly I was surprised he hadn't years ago, since he was always in Philly or NYC. He's been there three weeks already and happier than I'd seen him. While I know my return to Harrisburg won't be permeant...I too wonder if Philly will be a good move, or if I return to Bucks County? We shall see. We spent the overcast day mostly just wondering around and hopping from pub to pub, and just enjoying the sights. Rittenhouse Square and neighborhood was always a favorite spot of mine in the city. The park is one of the five open spaces planned by William Penn during the late 17th century, and the city still prides itself of these open spaces used as parks. The neighborhood is currently among the highest-income urban neighborhoods in the country. Some of the condo high-rises are insane. The park itself was named in 1825 after David Rittenhouse, a descendant of the first papermaker in Philadelphia, the German immigrant, William Rittenhouse. Many parts of the park resemble parts of Paris and French gardens, with pools, railings and fountains. The neighborhood has some of the neatest townhomes, and high-rises in the Italianate and Art Deco styles, and the neighborhood over the years was home to Alexander Cassatt, William Weightman, John Wanamaker and Philadelphia planning commission director Edmund Bacon and his sons, the Bacon Brothers. Yes, those Bacon Brothers!! It was a lovely time and were even treated to a peaking of the sun.

My friend's new apartment building. That entrance is lovely.
A little ovenbird.
We happened upon this lovely coffee shop, C'est La Vie, this AM before I departed.
Today, I'm tired. It's been a good day watching cult SyFy and horror movies. I did go out and clip some of the lilac that has finally opened. Smells heavenly.

37 comments:

  1. What every choice. you make I hope you will be happy.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rittenhouse Plaza... Ritzy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever did Minervia do to be locked up?

    I have always loved Philly. Such a diverse city if I ever seen. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how those Greek goddesses are, always up to no good.

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful pictures! Our city should be paying you for advertising. And even though brief, it was great getting together for some drinks yesterday at U!! One of my peeps had a wee crush on you,lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice time! And quite a few are your boys are cuties.

      Delete
  5. Lilac! Ahhh....one of my favourites. And, should I ever get back to USA, I think I ought to spend some time in Philadephia. I don't usually get far beyond NYC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be pleasantly surprised by all Philly has to offer.

      Delete
    2. Well, you're doing your ambassadorial bit!

      Delete
    3. dinah, you have no idea his ambassadorial skills....lol

      Delete
    4. Ignore my social director Dinah!

      Delete
  6. I love the scent of lilac! I've been toying with getting a dwarf variety that we can grow in a pot - neighbours across the street have one, but I cannot discern any perfume from it (which would defeat the point!). Lovely photos of Philly, btw. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It smells wonderful!!!!! I pictured our miniature lilacs last week. The blooms are smaller then a regular size and the Bush itself not as big. Bit it has gotten bigger. The last couple years our lawn guy cut it back to far and it didn't bloom. This fall i told him to do nothing with it...and it has exploded. I wonder if a miniature variety might do well in a large pot?

      Delete
  7. How lovely to see the green! I miss plants like these especially in the spring time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you binge watching Fringe as I have been for the last two weekends?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rittenhouse Square, my all-time favorite park in Philly. My daughter lives the next neighborhood over. Such a pretty and interesting part of Philly but then again it has many pretty and interesting parts. I love those shots of the Rittenhouse Plaza Apartments. I guess I never noticed it's beauty quite before..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would swear, I can smell those lilacs!!! And I love the vessel they are in too. Sounds like a nice weekend you had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful place to live in. Would you believe me if I told you the lower end of those rents in that square are more affordable than the rat traps in San Diego's suburbs???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God are you serious? Although being California nothing surprises me. I did see one advertisement for a new condo building opening right off the square called The Laurel. The condos start at 15 million!

      Delete
  12. When I saw your heading of 'Rittenhouse' - a word I've encountered only once before - thought it must be a reference to the infamous Kyle R. of coupla-years-ago news. Much relief on finding it was on an altogether more pleasant subject. Thank heavens!..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, you are right, thank heavens it was a different one and subject all together. Now since you brought it up I do remember that name and the story quite well in the news.

      Delete
    2. I only wish that I could forget it easily.- but I AM trying.

      Delete
    3. It made me go back in to put "square" in the blog post title. I wouldn't want him to get any exposure Raybeard. And Happy May Day to you!!!!

      Delete
    4. Thanks, M..M. - and to you and yours too. (I'm singing "When I was small, and Christmas trees were tall........) For those youngsters who don't know what I'm on about - ref. the Bee Gees 1969 release of 'First of May', reaching #6 over here but only #37 in U.S. Billboard charts.

      Delete
  13. I love your friend's new building. I hope the apartment is as nice. What a welcome home every day. Your display of the lilacs is nothing short of elegant (of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The inside is nice, older apartment but all updated very nicely. And they offer various sizes and layout he said. I loved his. But that entrance got me.

      Delete
  14. Do like a real city, we should get back to Philly soon,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wherever you settle will be gorgeous!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the old buildings, and the tour, of course, though I'd pay to rename the building. I don't say that name.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If I didn't move and settle in New York, Philadelphia would have been my second choice trust me. It's such a beautiful city and so much more manageable than New York.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The best time I ever had in Philly was when I came and visited you. I feel I got my money worth on that trip. It's such an electric city.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rittenhouse Square? Hopefully nothing to do with that two times murderer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No......this named lonnnnnnnnnnng before he was even a thought.

      Delete
  20. love all the green pics!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!