Sunday, April 2, 2023

AWAKENING


I must say, spring for me is the most exciting time of the year. Even though summer is my favorite season. Spring, and the coming of Persephone returning form the Underworld brings everything new, everything comes back to life, and the libido seems to be higher than normal!!! While I'm still downloading pictures from my phone and other camera from the trip, the Casa is awakening nicely. I'm tickled many of the bulbs in the garden and pots are coming along. It's very rewarding to see what you'll get from the fall planting. In the last week I got out to get some snaps. 

This basket was made by the Dame from her flower shop as a condolence on the passing of Lillith. Which incidentally we picked up her ashes Friday. Once the garden is in bloom for summer, we plan to spread her ashes in the garden where she loved spending her time.
It amazes me more people don't plant Puschkinia bulbs , or sometimes known as Stardrift. They are so easy to grow.

Two kinds of Daffs this year were planted. The mini ones are coming in like a rabbit farm. 

The flowering trees are stunning this spring. Currently cherry blossoms and Magnolia are blooming...with soon to be weeping cherry, dogwoods and Eastern Red bud. We have all except a magnolia tree. The problem is, they put on quite a show, and then last not quite two weeks. These are from yesterday with a pretty bird, some sort of grackle I'm assuming. Very pretty song.
The mini rose bushes are full of greenery already. These were transplanted early fall from another location of a rose garden we grassed over. I didn't know if they would make it.
The hellebores were the first thing to bloom this spring.
Someone has been busy.
This long brick wall will have peonies the length of it once bloomed. These are all new plants planted in the fall adding to ones already there. It's exciting seeing them up coming.

Grape hyacinths under one of the dogwoods.

The potted pansies are going crazy...and they love the still cooler temps and I dare say thrive in it.

Every day, something new to be seen while walking the garden. Now with work caught up and back to normal, it's nice getting back, stubbornly I might add...into the daily routine again. I spent a time out of doors yesterday before the rains came planting some new dahlias, and planning where annuals will be placed, before the rains it. A trip to the market and Oak Grove Farm was also in order.

Caught this snap of this photogenic sheep herd at the farm next door.

40 comments:

  1. Welcome back!!!! You snuck in! And my condolences of the loss of Lillith.

    This post is so pretty and inspiring for spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to get outdoors too. Thanks for your thoughts for Lillith. We still feel her missing here.

      Delete
  2. DAMN gurl, you got a green thumb too!?!?! Love the birdie photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is all so beautiful! I would love to witness that bed of peonies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for tons of peonies this year. To buy them cut, a dozen now is almost $50!!! Such a pretty flower.

      Delete
  4. What a glorious post for Palm Sunday! Some beautiful pictures from the garden. I too love Puschkinia bulbs. I plant more each year. I too agree about the flowering trees. They have such beauty that seems to last like days, and then all but done. The sheep tickled me too.

    Nice to have you back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring for me is it!!!!! Mother's Nature's most spectacular work of the year!!!! Rather something to witness you ask me.

    The cherry blossom shots with the bird really made me happy. Glorious.

    Hope your travels were incredible. Can't wait to see some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4/02/2023

    Tundra Bunny here...

    The beautiful riot of colours in your flower garden is such a balm to my tired winter spirit! Love the mini-daffodils, birds and sheep too! Our huge, ice-covered snow piles had started to slowly melt, but it snowed again last night and is snowing right now. At -4 C/25 F, how I wish I could sit in your garden, Maddie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SNOW PILES?!?!?!??! You have my sympathies. I love cold and winter and snow...but not that long. I think I'd go looney.

      Oh right. Too late. LOL!

      Delete
  7. Ohhhhh.......what a gorgeous drift of pretty! Beautiful to see, especially for me, here in the Tropics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love seeing your tropics Dinah. You have some great plantings..

      Delete
  8. Oh, wow. Spring is my favourite time of year, with all the new growth and the ephemeral plants all handing over to each other - the cherry blossoms are just about still around in our neighbourhood, daffs and hyacinths are slowly starting to fade but tulips are in bud, and every herbaceous plant out the back is practically growing before our eyes.

    Those Puschkinia are gorgeous; we should try them. We grow Chionodoxa, which are closely related (in the Aparagus family), and Ipheion (which is in the Allium family), both of which are lovely. We also have a miniature daff quite similar to yours, but unfortunately the slugs and snails love it as much as we do...

    Keep up the good work, dear. Clink, clink, sweetie! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bulbs here before my return, were getting so old...hence all the addition of new ones. I'm so glad to see them coming up, including the Puschkinia. You should give them a try. They are very easy. It's been so mild all winter...I have no idea if it's why we're having such a beautiful display, especially this year.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous4/02/2023

    I'm so glad you are back! This place needed a little dressing up.
    Smooch!
    jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well this is a nice bright contrast to my Spring/December post!! Thank you for the colour - I think I’ll print off your photos and slap them over my windows to give me something better to look at.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I recommend any full moon pictures?!? Your picture may have been grey, but still a picturesque view.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful, fabulous Spring is bustin' out all over where you live! Not so here. We're about 6 weeks away from our own flowering trees being in bloom. But so marvelous when it happens even if (or perhaps because of) its fleeting presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too have my sympathies for such long winters...but then I suppose your used to them. I have had snowstorms in April and even as close as May...but it's been years.

      Delete
  12. Lovely, lovely flowers, Mads. Purple is pushing out red as my favorite color (or favourite colour for you folks that need the superfluous 'u') heh. My geraniums survived all of the wind and rain we've had so far. I probably won't need to water them for a month! I love Spring so much, I may even clean something! Deedles : Deadly Deadly Dustbunny Destroyer! Eh, probably not.
    Thanks for sharing the beauty, Maddie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love geraniums! I brought one in to winterize it. It was glorious till about early January...and has gone downhill slowly....it's about ready for plant ICU soon if I can't get it back outdoors soon. Thanks Deedles!!!!

      Delete
  13. The sheep and the flowers are beautiful. I'm afraid I'm behind on events in your life and I don't know who Lillith was. I'm sorry for the loss.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lillith was my mother's dog, a Ridgeback. And Buster's partner in crime. It was a tough decision.

      Delete
  14. You're making me wish I had a 10x10 plot of land to plant a garden! It's all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just beautiful.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I scrolled the photographs many times. Just beautiful! Your garden is way ahead of mine, although I do have some of the mini daffodils that are out. They are called "Minnow"
    Your tulips are so pink and so sassy!
    I love planting bulbs in the autumn as I often forget what I've planted and so it's a lovely surprise.
    You have obviously worked very hard.
    Looking forward to hearing about your trip! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well your garden is beautiful so coming from you I will take this as a compliment. And I agree about the bald planting. I always forget what and where I plan and what so truly is a surprise when they bloom. I have my first travel post scheduled for this morning.. stay tuned

      Delete
  17. love your garden. some flowers are so beautiful that I would like to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So nice to have you back, spring flowers and sheep! We need more sheep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought the Sheep picture was rather appropriate this time of year.

      Delete
  19. Love the colors; our garden, flowers and trees, are just beginning to bud and bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm thrilled to see the flowers at the casa are in full bloom, or are getting there in the case of the peonys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After so many years without gardening, I didn't know if I still had a green thumb.

      Delete
  21. Oh dear. This post is going to make me greatly miss the house I live in now with its gardens. A lot of the plans what you feature here I also have, but I suspect many of these will not do well at my beach house I'm moving into. What a glorious post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful pics. I spent most of my life blind to the beauty of nature returning to its lush and refreshing splendor each spring, but now it is one of my favorite times of year and I am making up for lost time now, as I make daily rounds to see each of my trees and plants come back to life. So amazing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!