Thursday, April 6, 2023

BUDA CASTLE


What was so great about this trip to Budapest, was it was an extremely walkable city. It seemed everything was within walking distance of Warbucks pied de terre. Another day after relaxing for a day, he took me back up to Castle Hill where Fisherman's Bastion was. Also atop the same hill is Buda Castle... an historic castle and palace complex of the Hungarian Kings of the past. It was first completed in 1265, although the massive Baroque palace today occupying most of the site was built between 1749 and 1769. Today the castle now houses the Hungarian National Gallery and the Budapest Historical Museum. Buda Castle sits on the southern tip of Castle Hill and surrounded by a area which is famous for it's Medieval, Baroque and Neoclassical houses...a truly beautiful area. One afternoon was spent just milling about and walking those neighborhoods. the Hungarian National Gallery has the largest public collection to present the history of Hungarian fine art...and includes over 110,00 artworks. Exhibitions include medieval art, and wooden sculptures and paintings of the Old Hungarian Collection, a selection of 19th century art and the works of Mihaly Munkacsy. 

 
Funny thing is, after all the stunning sights I saw, the one thing that endlessly took my breath away was the Szechenyi Lanchid, or the Chain bridge of all things. There was just something about it that drew me back several times to see. We saw it from the land and right on the Danube on a boat tour. Completed in 1849, this bridge was the first to be built across the Hungarian section of the  Danube to connect Pest and Buda and is now considered to be one the city's major landmarks. Simple and majestic.
 I thought it would be a good place for a vampire bite.

27 comments:

  1. It's all stunningly beautiful. I'm lost for words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd do Budapest with you Christina!!!!

      Delete
  2. Breathtaking. Makes me want to visit. Although I was disappointed to not find Buddha in any of the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty place, I should go there. You don't bite, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We didn't spend as much time as I wanted in the Hungarian National Museum as I would have liked...but the Hill is a spectacular place isn't it? And the chain bridge... one of the top prettiest chain bridges of the world.I hear after renovation, it is even more beautiful? And looks like to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Mistress!!!! I just happen to pop in and saw that you return last week!!!!

    I have been loving this post!!!! I have been once...one of the best European countries to travel too and the prices are soooo good. One of the most inexpensive of European cities. And they are to be commended on keeping cultural events like ballet, opera, and art museums affordable to all.I love Budapest and you really are highlighting the best of the city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Magpie! I was surprised by how inexpensive it was. A mean a day pass on the trolley was $1.10 in US dollars!!!!!!! Stay tuned for more

      Delete
  6. I am considering this for my bucket list and may move it up. There is so much to explore. Thank you for taking us with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go, I was completely surprise how much I loved this city.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous4/07/2023

    Absolutely beautiful.
    Walking tours (and having the time to take them) are the best vacays.

    XOXO

    Sixpence

    ReplyDelete
  8. From a distance and lit, the bridge is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Utterly glorious! The Magyars knew how to make a statement... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you and I adore our understatements... nothing too flashy or ornate right?

      Delete
  10. I imagine you got your full princess on wandering through those fairytale spaces!
    Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the mobile, that thing's neat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bridge looks spectacular at night!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That ain't no castle mate, that's a palace! and a bloody good one too, not like Buck House.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing all of this neat stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Linda! Im grossly behind and getting caught up with everyone still. Being away for so long is nice, but getting caught up is hell.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm' always blown away by the grandeur of the historical landmarks and the cities in general in Europe. The castle on this hilltop, I bet it provided stunning panoramic views of the city and the Danube River. And the art looks great. I was in Budapest once with the Philadelphia Symphony once, but didn't have any time to see anything. So I'm enjoying this post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Again, thank you so much for "taking me on this journey."

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful and interesting holidays which are reflected in magnificent photos

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!