Friday, April 17, 2020

ELECTRIC SHOCK

 Our dear blogger friend, Sixpense and I get on the same page a lot. Last week he had a post with men dancing and how he likes to watch men dance and move their bodies. In particular, he had a video of actor Brian Jordon Alvarez dancing to a Britney Spears song. It tis rather mesmerizing to watch him dance. Connor Mckenzie I can watch forever moving too. And I agree with Sixpense, men don't have to have the rhythm to me... I just like to see how men, or people in general have fun with the music. Like he said coordination can be learned. And if you just let the electric shock take over your body and hear the music,it will take your body higher, most times your body can just free style the moves, and that what I like. I LOVE dancing and still do. While I don't go to the huge clubs weekly, I still do go out to clubs and like to have some serious church.

1990 was a really important year for me musically. In 94, I came out, as in to gay clubs that is, (hell, I came out of the womb in glitter) and that started my love affair with gin and rum and anything else wet , and fell instantly in love with club and house music, in addition to my love for the long nights clubbing. For the first time ever, I started to empty out my piggy bank which paid for nights out and for three cassette tapes. A Gay Bible for Music.. Clivilles and Cole, and Dee-lite's World Cliché, and Madonna’s “Vogue” which to me all of these were the pinnacle of human musical achievement. But an amazing song was released, with a video that would provide me with enough giddy ’60s fashion inspiration and fly dance-move fabulousness to last a lifetime. That song was Dee-Lite's “Groove Is in the Heart”  and its lead singer, Lady Miss Kier, quickly became my own personal proto-Spice Girl, not to mention my major source of drag style.... the pop idol against which all other pop idols would forever be judged. 

Dee-lite and Lady Miss Kier would be my introduction to New York City night life, and another idol, Lady Bunny,  and all the nights of labor with my good friend and sister Mame, on the club scene. The funny part was it was also at the clubs in New York I first met them both for the first time. But what I enjoyed about Lady Kier was her no nonsense, carefree and enjoyment of the music. The vibe of the 60's and 70's , and the club kids are what I would adopt when I was on the dance floor, as opposed to the planned out chorography. Although the duck walk was and still is fun to do..especially in drag. Now don't get me wrong, when I was doing drag, I did all kind of routines. Most numbers would be along the lines of Dee-Lite, or similar sounding music, or chic lounge type songs...think Emma Bunton's Maybe, but I also fall into  hi-NRG acts. I was known to a cut up the floor with them. A drag friend had referred me to a Philly chorographer at the time to learn more dance for my acts. Coco had found a clip from my young gayling days , which made my day the other week.
Good gods I looked scrawny there!!! But the instructor was very good, and would plan the dance for my chosen songs. While I eventually went back to my carefree and free style dancing, it was always nice to mix in a few of the choreographed moves in. I don't have to be out to dance either. Just the other night, I called Brice, my neighbor, and told him to fire up you tube, to the below song, and I did a window dance for him! Even as a straight guy, he said he loved it. I'm sure my others neighbors thought I was nuts. And from my own experience, whether a man moves with choregraphed moves or free style moves...if a guy is a good dancer, I find he has been good in bed. Cant' lie. 

Feel the music...can you feel it? Move your body...Can you feel it...electricity running through your body? Were all conductors of the electric groove... Go on and dance...it's good for the mind and body these days. Cuse me...church time!!!!!

28 comments:

  1. Boy....having met up a few times out...I KNOW you move like a demon.i loved this post...i enjoy reading about your past...and I also like watching men move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bigdippermusic on youtube - a bear that can move his sexy body!

    I hardly recognize you in that video clip. why is it that gay men can dance and str8 boyz don't know what to do? fearsome beard says he was a good dancer back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't ask Carlos to dance... he looks like he's having a seizure.
      Goddess, I love the man, but don't ask him to dance.

      Delete
    2. Remember AM...that was over 20 years ago...i was probably only 24 there...probably about 115lbs of thin meat. And that is the only time you'd ever catch me in sweats or a ball cap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ever.

      Delete
    3. you were just a BABY then!

      Delete
    4. Heck, Anne Marie...he's still a whipper snapper to me.

      Delete
  3. Shaking that thing like I never did see indeed! Whoa! That was fantastic!!
    And yes, men who dance have extra cool points added. No matter how they do it. They just need to get into the groove.
    As for music, again, we are on the same page! House and Hi-nrg music are my favs. To this day. I don't go to clubs much, mind you. And Dog only knows how many will survive this Pandemic. Groove is in the Hart is still a Bop. When it plays, I just have to move. And you did a dance for Brice, huh? Maddie.....
    LOL

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Grooves is it!!!!!!! But when I found out they had other music....their less known music even further drove me to love them more. I enjoy they never went too mainstream....it kept their music more artsy. Their songs Good Beats and Power of Love are also treasures.

      Delete
  4. MM
    You should'a toured with Janet ... you could'a probably taught her a thing ortwo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smooth moves, Mads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he is the best dancer in the clan. in or out of 5" heels.

      Delete
  6. Groove is in the heart is still one of my favorite dance songs!
    I loved to dance but none of my friends would. Then when I started making gay friends, I unfortunately made friends with every dance hating gay man around.
    Those dance moves are impressive, like WOW impressive! I can't tell Maddie, are you the guy wearing dark colors?
    I have often said on my blog that I was told years ago by female friends, that a guy good on the dance floor is good in bed because they are in touch with their body and its movement. I find that to be true in my limited experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are correct Steven. Chad was the instructor. Man was he cute...and straight. I would have danced with you!!

      Delete
  7. Fun post! Have a safe day.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would only dance in public if it was on stage and choreographed. Otherwise, on a club dance floor, I looked like I'm was a kick line at Radio City. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This video clip is priceless. Wish we could see more. I would love to move like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first time we went out and I saw you dance...no..... I wasn't intimated at all. But later I was certainly happy you were a good dancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Laddy cheeky! I just bet he's a good dancer! ;D

      Delete
  11. Oh how I loved this post!!! I love dancing too, and boy you sure do dance. I used to always go with my gay friends, because the straight guys never wanted too. I too always like the club scene, but the colorful variety...to be who you wanted to be, not the straight meat market bridge and tunnel crowd. You certainly were and still are colorful.

    And thank for that Dee-lite song!!! Love it, its on while I work. We definitely need Dee-Lite back, bad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're funky and don't you ever stop. It's like electric shock!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember on my trip to Philly and we went out in Philly. I was blown away by your dancing. Meanwhile I looked like an over grown orangutan dancing. And your boylesque show was also pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like to dance, but man I couldn't keep up with that. But I do know what you mean watching people dance. I watched that clip like five times!!!!

    And Electric Shock is a superb track, indeed, and it suits my ass shakin' very well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My god you’ve got the moves! And like is told Sixpence my patented move is swaying like a tree in the wind. But it takes a hurricane to get me to move. Or a few libations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Look at you go! I'd love to see that in heels!

    It takes a lot - a LOT - to get me dancing (think spaghetti in a blender - or Kermit the Frog!), but Lady Miss Kier singing Groove is in the Heart will do it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. After seeing this you got me in a dancing move!!!! You can moooooove! And it's Happy Hour!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mistress...my word you can move!!!! It's nice to have a bit of all forms of dance in your repertoire! And I do believe you role models are fabulous ones to have. Why be in the crowd when you can stand out I say. I remember dressing like Lady Kier in the 60's

    And that song is going to make for excellent drinking music tonight. We went and bought the whole album on I tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You probably do the horizonal mumbo very ell I bet!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Take it off!😘

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!