Monday, April 20, 2020

THE HONEYBEE

This year, and week will mark the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day. How then ironic that this pandemic has paralyzed everything for the most part that add to pollution...with the air and pollution quality better than it's been in years for just the short time we have already been in self isolations. Some species even taking over areas they haven't been in for an age. One way or another , Mother Nature will balance things out...and I commend her. One critter facing hard times, and needs help are the poor honey bees. 
Believe it or not, you have a bee to thank for every one in three bites of food you eat. Honey bees — wild and domestic — perform about 80 percent of all pollination worldwide. A single bee colony can pollinate 300 million flowers each day. Grains are primarily pollinated by the wind, but fruits, nuts and vegetables are pollinated by bees. Seventy out of the top 100 human food crops — which supply about 90 percent of the world’s nutrition are pollinated by bees.
Biologists have found more than 150 different chemical residues in bee pollen, a deadly “pesticide cocktail” according to University of California apiculturist Eric Mussen. The chemical companies Bayer, Syngenta, BASF, Dow, DuPont and Monsanto shrug their shoulders at the systemic complexity, as if the mystery were too complicated. They advocate no change in pesticide policy. After all, selling poisons to the world’s farmers is profitable. Furthermore, wild bee habitat shrinks every year as industrial agribusiness converts grasslands and forest into mono-culture farms, which are then contaminated with pesticides. To reverse the world bee decline, we need to fix our dysfunctional and destructive agricultural system.
A hive collapse.

Bees are in a world of trouble right now. A few years ago, the US Environmental Protection Agency took some steps to protect the insects by limiting the use of an insecticide called sulfoxaflor .In 2016, under pressure from a lawsuit by environmental groups and a federal court order, the agency severely limited use of the insecticide. But then in July of 2019, the Trump administration and the EPA undid many of those restrictions, environmental groups were aghast. The Trump EPA’s reckless approval of this bee-killing pesticide spread across 200 million US acres of crops like strawberries and watermelon, without any public process, is a terrible blow to imperiled pollinators, and is nothing short of reckless. The Trump administration’s move sting bees when they’re down. Our honeybees today live under enormous stress, beset by parasites and pesticides, which they carry back to hives, and then cause  hive collapse, long-haul travel, and vast and expanding monocrops in need of their services. By adding yet more insecticide stress to their lives and trashing a program that tracks their health, Trump is kicking an already-struggling ecological hornet’s nest.
The Bee Informed Partnership” found that the country’s beekeepers lost nearly more than 35 percent of their honeybee colonies over the 2018-2019 winter—the highest level recorded since they started tracking hive losses in 2006. And if the regulations don't change it will go far worst. And if you think a jar of honey is already expensive...it's going to get worst.

Common sense actions can restore and protect the world’s bees. Here’s a strong start:
    Ban the seven most dangerous pesticides.
    Protect pollinator health by preserving wild habitat.
    Restore ecological agriculture.
    Stop tearing up more farming land.
    The use of these pesticides is also having an effect on butterflies and believe it or not fireflies...both of which are also dying off. I saw few fireflies last year then ever.

    So respect that honey bee when you see it and be grateful for what it does in the bigger scheme of things.

40 comments:

  1. Miners used to take canaries in cages down into the mines with them. If the canary died, they knew to get out immediately, the air had turned poisonous. The honeybees are like "canaries in coal mines"for our environment, if they die, agriculture, as we know it, will also die, then humanity will starve on a scale never before seen in history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that the administration wants to stop monitoring the collapse of our bee population is consistent with their policies of ignoring climate change, even to the point of forbidding their own govt.scientists from even using the term "Climate change", This is George Orwell's dystopian novel "1984" in real life. "Double speak", "News speak". Propaganda as national policy is destined to fail. Policy based on lies and special interests can not end well for the rest of us. Trump and his admin have no respect for the natural word, and like them it's disguising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were still living here, as you can see anyhow, The Trump Administration appears to be attempting to DESTROY AMERICA rather than making it greater! Anything that was helping the environment was rolled back or taken away. He apparently doesn't even give a shit what kind of planet he leaves for even his own future family? That's a great rolemodel for a leader. But it's not just his fault alone either.

      Delete
  3. I was just talking with a friend the other day. We said we don't seen honey bees or butterflies like we used to. Good piece and had no idea it was 50th anniversary of Earth week. Now THAT is ironic. You many be right...the time of Mother's reckoning is coming. GO BEES!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right sister! respect that honey bee. We had a bee keeper up here...made the best honey...now gone because of the whole hive dying do to pesticides.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, same wavelength. I was just thinking about this. Save the fucking bees, people. There'll be no fruits (or agriculture) without bees.
    I hope people realize how important nature is, and how necessary balance in nature is. I'm afraid that ecological disasters and the fuckery they'll unleash on us will take the world for surprise, just like COVID-19 did.
    One of my summer projects is gonna be to have a bee and butterfly little garden. I planted the bulbs last week. Fingers crossed they'll grow into pretty plants with pretty flowers.
    And that some bees will visit.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works! Maybe post a picture or you can email me one!!!

      Delete
  6. Brilliant post...and a clear call to action. This administration’s actions in this - and many other things as well - are a clear existential threat to all of us. I may have more to say after I get to a keyboard but you have stated the case so well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bees are so underappreciated and we owe them so much! We do have the more aggressive 'Killer' Bees here in the Desert and they have decimated some of the Indigenous Bees and you really do have to be more cautious around them as they're territorial and were dubbed Killers for a reason. I'm deathly allergic to Bees but Love them and what they do for us. And I want to Thank You again for the introduction to The Creeper Gallery, OMG, I'd spend way too much $$$ there and it looks rather like my Home! *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I had a total Eyegasm viewing their Weird and Wonderful merchandise!

      Delete
  8. I hope from the sake of the planet that the dedicated staffers of the EPA are taking notes about what needs to be reversed once this fascist Administration is gone. I love watching the honey bees in my garden in the summers

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post Maddie!!!! You are definitely on Mother Nature's good list. I just saw a article not long ago about fireflies and butterflies... Researchers and advocates say both insects but fireflies more so, are on the decline as more and more of its habitats are consumed by development, leaving it fewer marshes and meadows to illuminate. Its struggle is further compounded by light pollution, pesticides and weed killers.

    Humans better wise up. We do share the planet with other creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what's good for dow/dupont is good for trump's america, even if it kills and pollutes the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why is it we treat the planet so badly? Is it because we think we're the best species and should have everything we want thew way we want, when we want.
    Cuz that's wrong.
    Save the bees, save ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The wild bumblebees are huge pollinators as well and they are also in trouble. Fortunately around here most of the farmers don't use pesticides so there are still lots of bees. However I used to see thousands and thousands of butterflies over the summer here as a kid, last year I saw five over the entire summer, something is definitely wrong. I think they have been replaced by ticks and Japanese beetles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We definitely need to save the bees by banning the pesticides that are killing them. I love that first photo! I'm going to steal it for my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling Debs you'd love this post. I had you in mind.

      Delete
  14. I remember as a kid watching fireflies light up a summer night like 1000 stars. you hardly see them at all now. humans suck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bees do a wonderful job. I heard of their struggle a few years ago. I planted a whole lot of nepeta plants and from May until September they are covered in every type of bee imaginable.
    I'm just one person but if more people planted a few nectar rich plants, even in a window box, I'm sure it would help.
    We, as humans have a lot to answer for.
    Great post, as usual. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. The ways in which to help the environment are often simple things.

      Delete
  16. I love honey and yes...the cost have already gone up considerably. I can't imagine honey not being around it addition to all their other roles. This is good earth week awareness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try and buy Bucks County honey when i have time to make the drive to get it. I did a post of them once. It all locally sourced. And yes expensive. But the jar you het is pretty good for the price.

      Delete
  17. No bees = no crops = no food!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This makes me cry. We have been given so many gifts, and some evil people and some governments are hell bent on destroying it all. Eat, drink, and breathe your money. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My father and grandfather were beekeepers, I was raised in the bee business. It has changed dramatically since my father retired in 1982. And not for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love seeing the bees around my flowers. And I hope to plant more flowers. However, in the late summer I have a problem with wasps(I think) attacking my fruit trees and eating the fruit before I can harvest it. Fortunately I haven’t been stung by the little fuckers, mainly because I think they’re drunk from the fruit fermenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I het wasps here too. I have to research them. I don't know much about them.

      Delete
  21. well said
    Did you know an old term/word for honeybee is dumbledore?

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are such pretty pictures for such a sad post. I've never had a fear of bees. I've been stung on several, well a few, occasions and it has always been my fault. I love bees, and I have noticed that we don't have a lot coming to our yard anymore. Butterflies either, for that matter. Now, wasps, on the other hand, seem determined to make our house theirs. Little mud like nests battling for space with the spiders outside. Ick! Balder Half gets honey from the honey and wine festival we have every year. It helps with his allergies, getting the local stuff. Too bad some "people" choose not to realize that it's the little things that make up the big picture.
    My father was born and raised in Kansas City, Mo. He used to tell us about fireflies when we were kids. I've always wanted to see one. They sound fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's was why I wanted happy pictures of bees in all their glory!!! I LOVE honey...so many good properties to it and so many uses for sickness or otherwise. The fireflies is sad too. When i saw them last summer I was wondering how many more summers we'd being them. Not only pesticides hurt them but so do lawn and weed treatment. Lightening bugs tend to live in little holes in the ground they create. They look so cute their their little legs are strong diggers. I remembered you liked a picture i took of one last summer up close and you thought it reminded you of a hair beret.

      Delete
    2. I vaguely remember that. I would love to see one up close and personal. Such an odd thing to add to a nonexistent bucket list :) We used to have a lot of ladybugs, too. Now, nary a one.

      Delete
  23. Shit. Sorry. Quick comment. I couldn't read the post because close-up photos of bees make me really nervous. I was stung a number of times and a local allergy developed into a general allergy. Just the sight makes me nervous... although I do appreciate their importance. (I have no idea what you've written about them here!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jist? Bees are good♥♥♥♥♥ sorry. Maybe a picture of me freshly awoken would scare you ever more? Would that help?

      Delete
    2. It would certainly help me, Mads! Do it, ASAP!

      Delete
    3. Maddie:
      A picture of you freshly awoken would be anyone's start to a good day.

      Delete
  24. Hear hear! We are the architects of our own downfall - its just a shame we seem to bring everything else down with us :( Poor bees.

    ReplyDelete
  25. EPA=Environmental Pollution Agency. Vote

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love 'em, bees are awesome! ^.^

    Thank God for them.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!