Thursday, December 19, 2019

FLORA & FAUNA


It’s the most wonderful time of the year, especially for those of us who look forward to the Christmas season. Even if Christmas isn’t your favorite holiday, many of us will likely agree that fewer times are as beautiful in PA then Longwood Gardens at Christmas. Drink in some of that beauty with a visit to this botanical gardens started by and persevered by Pierre S DuPont, who purchased the farm primarily to preserve the trees. He wasn’t planning to create Longwood Gardens, but within a few years, his desire and love of plants transformed a simple country farm into one of the country’s leading horticultural display gardens, estate and elegant conservatory. With my using some personal days, I met my good friend the Dame Courtney and friend Nevin there last week for a day off. It was truly spectacular. If you love nature, gardening, flowers and exotics, then this place is for you, like for many here a tradition to see at Christmas.  Longwood Gardens has one of the best Christmas light displays in the country. In fact, it has the best botanical gardens and holiday lights -- at least, according to USA Today’s 2019 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards. Each room in its conservatory commits to the theme with elaborate décor as well, simply breathtaking.....and the orchid and conservatory is simply intoxicating with the smell of roses, paperwhites, and others. The gardens outside feature  another half-million twinkling lights, organ sing-a-longs, carolers throughout the gardens, fountain shows choreographed to holiday music and much more. The music is accompanied by a display of more than 50 bedecked Christmas trees and more than 16,000 seasonal plants. Longwood also provides three fire pits throughout the gardens, allowing guests to warm up by the fire on cool evenings. Here are the extensive pictures I took that day.

The conservatory....
Yes...grapefruit trees!
I love this Lamb's ear.
I loved this tree in the cactus rooms.
In the orchid and greenhouse....
The amazing bonsai collection. Many of these were started in 1906 to 1967! Truly mind blowing. These are only 3 of the dozen they have. Hard to believe that is a whole,  full grown tree.
The music room was transformed into a candy shop with the help of Shane's Confectionery.
The ballroom's HUGE tree.
Over in the Pierre S DuPont house.
These picture don't even do justice. What a gem in the area. 
I always feel at peace here.

29 comments:

  1. Your heart must be so happy after having spent the day in this lovely place. Your eyes–and probably your nose–were being treated for several visits earlier…and now this beautiful site to cap off the season. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I HAVE NO WORDS. Your pictures did do justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s my favorite time of the year – Christmas at Longwood Gardens Every year I’m amazed and in awe of the incredible job the staff does decorating the Conservatory, the DuPont house and the grounds. I usually make several visits to Longwood during the year, especially at Christmas, just so I can capture some of the magic. I adored the candy shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And did it ever smell so good in there!!!!

      Delete
  4. That puts Hershey Gardens to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, spectacular for the holidays. Longwood always puts on an excellent holiday display and 2019 was no exception. I too go often...it's my happy place and it's a good place to clear the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This place is out of this world!!!! I love that orchid room!!!! I have several. This really got me in the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!
    Love visiting conservatories! The orchids are beautiful!


    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sixpense...you would love this place. Should you ever come to Philly, as Auntie Mame would say. " Oh, the things I shall show you, things you never knew existed."

      Delete
  8. Wow! Wow! Wow!
    xoxoxox :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cap Chasen12/20/2019

    That place is a complete gem!!!! I haven't been in years, but I remember it taking a whole day to see all it's offering. Your post has done this old heart good. This whole month you've gotten this OLD soul into the spirit of things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been meaning to get there and have only been once. What have I learned? You don't have to love plants to be fascinated! This is spectacular. I can't pick a favorite tree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. STUNNING! And not only one Philadelphia gem but how nice another Philly legend par takes in the beauty...Shane's Confectionery!!! I want to eat it all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christmas is blooming at Longwood Gardens by the look of things. Love the cactus room, now that is cool. I have got to see this place on my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The things you share make me want to visit the US again, specifically YOUR US. No one else manages to accomplish that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Mitchell it's because they work work work...and most don't stop to smell the roses, so to speak. I take the time to go enjoy things...one must.

      Delete
  14. The horticulturalists have been working overtime. The fruits of their labor is stunning. You have a true gem there. It’s been years since I’ve been to the Chicago Botanic Gardens. I’ll have to make a point of getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When you visit a grand house, do you see yourself as upstairs or downstairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both...I'd so be the Tom Branson from Downton Abbey.

      Delete
  16. Beautiful! Lifts the spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really need to see this spectacle before I shuffle off this mortal coil......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Christina...get your comfortable shoes...you would LOVE this place, and I saw much more I didn't even feature here. Wait till Sunday!!!!!

      Delete
  18. So gorgeous! What a treasure the Longwood Gardens are! You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My girlfriend would love this place. It truly is spectacular. I love the orchids myself. I bet their a huge draw alone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. bonsai and orchids and shanes oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh what beauty!!!!!! My favorite tree is the one with the huge gold ribbon all over it. But your hard pressed to pick a favorite spot there by the looks of things. Happy Holidays indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The bonsai tress always fascinate me. They have some of the finest examples I have seen. But the conservatory is my favorite thing you featured here. Stunning pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have no words for this place. It takes your breath away.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!