Sunday, December 8, 2019

CONFECTIONS

Last night found me at my first of several Christmas gatherings. Speaking of candy shops yesterday.... I headed into Philly in the late morning and met a friend to go to one of Philly's best gems, to get a small gift  to take to the host. The storefront at 110 Market Street is actually a time machine. Don't believe it? See it for yourself.
I love that huge Krampus in the window! Even if your a member of CRUMS, Christmas, Resistance Underground Movement, I bet you'll be hard pressed not to feel the Christmas spirit here and feel like a kid again.  

 Step inside Shane's, and you'll be transported back to 1863, a time when the city was keen on sugar — at one point, even controlling 90% of the nation's sugar industry due to some prime port real estate in the sugar trade. At the turn of the 20th century, the city was brimming with chocolatiers and candy manufacturers; High Street — now Market Street — was chock-full of them, and Shane Confectionery was one among them. After 153 years, it's now considered the oldest, continually-run candy shop in the country, and you better believe that it's treated as such. Brothers Ryan and Eric Berley brought the shop back to life in 2011, and since then, it's turned into somewhat of a secret Willy Wonka factory full of truffles, bonbons, gummies, clear toy candies, barks,  fudge, and all those treasures that are hard to find now. They also make about 85% of all the candy they sell.  The ever-so-friendly and remarkably knowledgeable staff  will be happy to answers all of your candy-questions, and you'll probably have many — there's a lot of ground to cover in a century-and-a-half. Make sure, especially during the colder months, you indulge in the Shane's city-best hot chocolate, expertly crafted in the backroom, speakeasy-like hot chocolate cafĂ©. Boy was that good and rich!!!! I just loved the whole interior and the little vinatge displays always take me back to when my grandmother would take me to a candy shop when I was young. Something magical feeling.
I had to help myself to a piece of clear toy...It had been years.
Talking to one of the ladies there she told of how Philadelphia was definitely lucky in that there is a long confectionery history in Philadelphia. A lot of the great candy makers started here, like Wilbur and Hershey. They all started in Philadelphia before they moved out to different areas and sort of opened up more of a factory-style. But in Philadelphia there's probably less than 10 confectioners left, when there used to be hundreds. You would go every single block, there might be two or three confectioneries or confectionery-like premises. And, honestly, Shane's was always lucky. They're in a great location. They are right near the river, which would have been prime at the time. Being very close to ports, you have that first access to the sugar that's coming off the boats, which is your No. 1 ingredient. In a confectionery, you need to be close to your product, which is sugar.
How cute is the whole New Year's display? And check out that register. Now that is a nice touch and very chic and stylish! You can keep your technology.
It's really breathtaking when you walk in — the colors and all the candy, and it's floor to ceiling just antique jars, apothecary's and just colors and tastes and smells. It really draws you in and it's just a really friendly experience. It's candy, it's sweet. Everyone that walks in here is happy. You don't have troubles when you come into a candy store. It's all pleasure when you come in here. I also concluded I am definitely left behind from another time.

37 comments:

  1. What a lovely post!!!! That looks to be a special place for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This shop is gorgeous and wonderful and everyone should go. I stop in once a week for some kind of treatie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a member of CRUMS, I love that by the way, even I got into the spirit looking at this. I can almost smell the goodies. I would also gain 10lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is breathtaking! How marvelous !

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://shanecandies.com

    I LOVE the clear candy toys; they only come out for xmess and I remember getting some in my stocking as a child. this place is worth a visit if you get to philly.

    the berley brothers also own an ice cream parlor next door: https://www.franklinfountain.com. they make their own ice cream in some very interesting flavors.

    come to my city, you WILL get fat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right sister. Between places like this and out fine selection of restaurants, it's no wonder I have a big ass.

      Delete
  6. I am not a candy person, man candy being the exception, but i could get lost in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mistress! I love Shanes and have gone every year since living in Philadelphia area. It's definitely a quaint and old world very cute, old fashioned candy store. Always has a very nice selection of hard candy and chocolate. And that café is to die for towards the back, perfect stop during winter to get a cup of hot chocolate. I saw that they also have CBD infused chocolate. Not bad. Overall it's always was a pleasant shop and love their vintage decoration. Thank goodness someone keep the old world charms going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that place too. Except I gained 5lbs just looking at this post!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to love that place when I lived in Philly. Everything was pricer but for a good reason! They still make chocolate the same way they originally did over a century ago!! I was intrigued by the drinks. I decided to get the chocolate tea. I watched as the lady ground cocoa nibs on a big stone. Then she steeped the ground cocoa nibs in some hot water. Finally she poured me a little glass of heaven! This tea was fantastic! It tasted exactly how you would imagine. It had the nice earthy chocolate taste, but it was not sweet, which I loved!

    If I'm ever back in philly I will for sure come back there and try some of their chocolates!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FABULOUS!!!!! Nice to see how quaint and vintage that place is. I love that huge Krampus in the window!

    Just so you know, your blog is one of my favorite for this month. I bet you have some cool stuff planned. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the style of this place! Very cool and lots of old fashioned candies looks like. I could get into trouble in there.

    There displays are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful place! Thanks for letting us tag along on your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boy you sure can't beat the fancy interior and the old timey and genuine feel of that place. I've been to similar stores in New England and this one looks like it would beat em all. And I live in Hershey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....being from CampHill, i can't think of a candy shop up there to reveal this place.

      Delete
  14. 153 years ! This store is still sweetening up Philadelphians!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darn, you lured me here with candy, now I feel Christmas-ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what all us boys say.

      Delete
    2. Oh Lad hahaha, dirty minds think alike!!! ;)

      Delete
  16. Love the photos! A perfect confectionery sanctuary for the Christmas season. I haven't seen that clear toy candy since I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Krampus is both scary and fantastic!
    The store is absolutely awesome. And all that story! Great ambiance and so beautiful! I'm not very Xmas-y but this is so pretty!
    Now I want candy.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  18. How marvelous, something to add to the list for my next visit to Philly, along with meeting someone entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  19. mistress...kampus"s tongue is giving me some dirty thoughts.......

    ReplyDelete
  20. That shop is a masterpiece! I'd go nuts in there. It's a good thing I don't live there. I'm having a hard enough time not overindulging this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My goodness I could go crazy there. I may have to make a dentist appointment just from this post! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh what I wouldn't give to spend a couple of hours in there. It all looks so wonderful!
    Pink sugar pigs too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the pigs!! They were marzipan. Your the first person to comment on the pigs. I don't think the tradition caught on here much...few know that tradition here. It's a lovely place.

      Delete
  23. Omg!!!!$ i need to be there this instant! It's a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's amazing what can be done with sugar, and they do it up right!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This almost comes as close to your Saturday post for me...but you know I like my meat over candy! Nice shop though

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely place. The Us need a more shops like this. Everything is too big corporation. Such a magical place for small and big kids alike.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I could gobble the lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you and Guido could find use for the thick drinking chocolate

      Delete
  28. It a good thing you get a lot of exercise in more than one way...otherwise you may be 300lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That place looks amazing. Wish I had one of those in my 'hood to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!