Sunday, May 19, 2024

Le JARDIN BORGHESE

 

There is still room at Chez Borghese...where there is top notch seed, water, bathing to be had, all in a lovely floral setting! The doves took advantage of the reservation process. Thanks heavens, we finally had a nice weekend for me to get out and back into the garden. I had some new salvia plants to put in. Dave promises he put in an order of a few warmer and sunny days, and we need it. I was worried the garden was getting too saturated. I also put in a small herb garden where Lillith lay at rest. The whole garden is still bringing delights all told. The robin babies are gone, but now we are in the presence of a dove family, which have hatched this week . Had a lovely time out today, getting some air enjoy labors of the work, a nice G&T, and sitting for what seemed a age.

Delighted to see my Sea Thrifts came back. Rabbits haven't bugged them yet.

The Sweet William, and sages are coming along very nice.

The existing and new peonies are doing real nicely. They have yielded two rounds of cutting already, with another 50 or so blooms ready to open.

Have you ever noticed the ants on the balls? Don't ever spray or get rid of them. They actually help to open the blooms

The lilac gave us over two weeks of heavenly scent through the house. Nothing like smelling lilac in the spring.

Dove nest cam. This was taken last weekend, and below was yesterday. They grow so fast.  

New to the garden this year...Blue Star.

Last year, my bleeding Heart was rinky dink and I thought I lost it over the winter, and I was worried with the big Eastern Pine gone to shade it, it was dead. But it is bigger than ever...and all the columbines are getting ready to open this week I'm guessing.

Some of the peony yield.
The first of the roses to bloom, with oodles of blooms on all the bushes. The above and the sunset below smell lovely. I'm still waiting to see how the new bush comes along...a lavender colored one. Let the dead heading commence. 


These peonies came with me into the boudoir on the nightstand. Many people are surprised to learn that peonies have a lovely scent. So there is that.

27 comments:

  1. I miss gardening; it cheers me to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hence why I'm enjoying it. I went 25 years without one, so this is a nice new hobby to try my hands at.

      Delete
  2. Lilacs, peonies and bleeding hearts -- three of my faves! Your early roses and all the other flowers are gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased so far all told with all the rain we'd been getting. Everything seems to be flourishing. Thank you Debs!!!

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous space; the blooms are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is lovely, Mads. I can still grow a mean geranium in all varieties and colors. A house plant bit the dust after moving in. At this point it's just murder to bring home anything but Golden Pothos. Those ubiquitous doctors' office plants will grow anywhere. You get birds and other cute critters. We get juvenile rats from the next-door neighbors. The only balls I see had better not have ants on them or there'd be a trip to urgent care!
    Can women be curmudgeons? I think it's happening to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5/19/2024

      Tundra Bunny here...

      Yes, Miss Deedles, women can be curmudgeonly too. Some days, I feel so downright grumpy, people could mistake me for Abe Simpson: old man who shakes his fist at clouds, LOL!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree with Tundra...we have earned our right Deedles to be curmudgeons.

      Delete
    3. Deedles- Im surprise some days that the garden is doing as well as it is...considering when I moved back most gardens were baron or nothing do well after my father passed. I've enjoyed doing it considering I still have no idea what Im doing. And Im sure Im right behind you two as getting cranky.

      And yes ants on Valdes half might not be good!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous5/19/2024

    Tundra Bunny here...

    Your garden never disappoints, Maddie! It must be a lot of hard work, but such beauty is worth it! The smell of lilacs and peonies alway remind me of my childhood home. I love white roses, lily of the valley, and gardenias too -- they smell heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my father died, my mother grasses in many of the gardens, and couldn't keep up with a lot so she had our lawn guy rip a lot of stuff out. So it's been fun regarden the existing beds n the garden once again. Oh and I love Lily of the valleys too. I plan to put them back in one day. They do smell heavenly.

      Delete
  6. I always seem to learn something here. I never knew about the ants on the peonies! They, the flowers are one of my favorites. I do smell heavenly I agree. I love seeing all the going ons...just like that of Jon's back passage and that of Mr DeVice. The doves are just precious. I miss having a huge garden, but couldn't tend to that all now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean to say you smell Heavenly too!

      Delete
  7. Your good at making lots of things grow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely delightful garden!!! I wish your blog on a scratch and sniff! You have many talents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful. Aren't Doves the most gentle of birds. We have ring necked Doves visit us and the finches and tits dond mind them. There is nothing to fear. Different story if the magpies visit!

    Off topic, I thought of you last night. We went to a flamenco performance while we are in Seville. We were inches from the stage. There were two men performing. Their bodies were honed to perfection. Long, lean legs, taut muscles and such power in their facial expressions.
    My husband said he thought one of them looked like someone famous, I can't remember who. I said ,I couldn't say if he did or not. I wasn't looking at his face......
    You would have enjoyed it immensely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please, I just enjoyed the recount of your time in Seville. I'm sure by your description I would have loved the performance! Your husband is bound to think Im a bad influence?!? And oh... I heard about magpies, can't they be sort of mischievous?

      Delete
  10. I have the perfect Blenko bowl for Peonies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden is another of your works of art. You are clearly putting in a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what nice garden you've!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5/20/2024

    Your photos are wonderful, beautiful birds and flowers. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed Gigi the bigger the garden and more variety the more species of birds I'm getting. I haven't seen the hummingbirds yet.

      Delete
  14. I do miss all the flowering plants back east....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved gardening until I got bit by one of those nasty bugs last Fall. Now I'm afraid of any critter I see.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your peonies and roses are stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen...they have been doing very well this season. I think I'm going to have a ton of roses this season.

      Delete
  17. Oh my goodness...you inspire me to get back to gardening I swear. How did you ever learn to do all this gardening? Did you have one at the old Casa du Borghese?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!