Thursday, October 20, 2022

SERVE IT HENNY

 

Yes...a trans non-Binary Drag Queen, Maebe A Girl, a progressive candidate who's running in CA to unseat Rep Adam Schiff!!!! 

Another who needs to go in my opinion. And when she ran last time, Maebe came in a very close second last time around, and recently won her debate vs her well known and well-funded main competitor. Yet when I googled Maebe, the inclusion-loving gay sites and gay publications have barley gave her a mention. Where's the profiles on her in Out? Advocate? New Now Next? Instinct? And every other queer local magazine? There's so much ink and so many covers devoted to drag competitors on reality shows. And while those contestants are often entertaining, unlike a drag/trans Congresswoman, They can't change lives with legislation. Shame on our gay press for this slip. To have Maebe come that close to taking out Adam Schiff is huge. If I didn't know any better, I'd suspect that these gay mags have a decidedly corporate and conservative Dem bent to them. So perhaps they leave the progressive Democrat Maebe out of the mix because they prefer the hawkish and corporate-funded centrist Schiff, who wasted years of "the lefts" time and energy spearheading the Mueller trail vs Trump? Which in the end yielded a verdict of "no collusion" between Trump and Russia despite nightly bombshells dropped by the hack news stations. I don't pretend to speak for all the gay community at large, we're all different, but I find it rather appalling and shocking she is not getting more coverage and support. I wish her well. And while drag is experiencing a high point right now, don't waste that high on just the editorial, and the Sashay and Shantay, when people in our community are busting their ass to make needed changes and deliver popular policies for working Americans. Maebe A Girl is out there in full drag in the CA heat knocking on doors in I hope sensible shoes. I will never get what is going on these days, when we have good hard-working people, educated and well-spoken and want to do the popular policies to benefit all, and yet they get no coverage or support. I finally caught her closing arguments in her recent debate, and I think she knows her stuff. It certainly made me proud to see a community member laying out a progressive vision so forcefully. And lit a fire like Pete did for me. And Joe is alright, and I catch flack for that. Many friends say "Well, he was better than trump" I hate that excuse. A very low bar to set. We just need new blood and this fire. 

27 comments:

  1. She's got mine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She’s in my ballot and I’m voting for her! Even though Schiff will probably win, giving votes to his challenger will affect his policies to be more progressive.The Dems need a wakeup call too. We saw it after the 2020 primaries since she came in 3rd and then 2nd.... and he then adopted some of her policies. Thanks for shedding light on this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read/subscribed to LGBT publications since the mid-90's, for similar reasons. Out seems like a former shell of itself. And most of these pubs only seems to care but the glossy drag, pretty boys and the A-list hobbies and travel. Pretty sure if folks looked at the masthead of a majority of our community publications (and organizations like HRC) they'd struggle to find diversity in leadership. It's usually a tell-tale sign of how a message is pushed & how the $$$ is made. I think it great she is running....she needs more exposure definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to mention those mags are catering to queens who want one-liners from "Slow-clap Pelosi" and articles about newly-out conservatives who had played a white guy who played straight on tv, etc. Occasionally maybe an opinion piece about Jeese Williams naked on Broadway. I hope she gets more positive and supportive press, but I'm not holding my breath. It's sad that even my bar rag had a in depth piece on her. Thanks for the link too. She is very well spoken and stands for such great issues dear to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We actually caught the debate when at my parents ...the look on Schiffs face when maybe gave her final close was OOC! She blew him out of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hit the nail with your posts! Elite capture has deff became a major issue in the community. Really exciting that a trans drag queen is running such a position and run a progressive campaign. Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eloquent! Great post and so very true. I wish I was in Cali to vote for her! Historic firsts are important, but progressive policy is even more so. Holding to that policy is being a champion. We need more champions in the Dem party! Best of luck to her and her candidacy! I am even going to give her a donation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cap Chasen10/21/2022

    I would recommend watching her closing statement in the candidate forum she did with her and Schiff. She’s serious, smart ,knowledgeable... and has a beautifully articulated and compelling reason why she’s running and why you should vote for her if you are a democrat or progressive. I just get so bored by our current people. Most have been there way too long...in either party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see her closing arguments on her Instagram. I was extremely Blown Away by how well spoken she was, and she actually says what she will do instead of bashing everybody around her.

      Delete
  9. I really hope she wins. It's time to wake up the tired parties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. New Now Next doesn’t allow people to mention them, probably for this very reason. Shame on our publications. A friend of mine was even telling me about Toronto’s Gay Pride board corruption, and we saw what happened right here in Philly with ours. Disgraceful when we can't even rely on our own community and its services. There's probably a reason our gay publications sales and memberships are down. Good luck to Maebe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as a community we're doing good, but there is so much more that needs to be done and we need to do it join, not separated, and we need all our gay only establishments and Publications to step up.

      Delete
  11. I hadn't heard of her either. @outmagazine @theadvocatemag @logotv GET YOUR FUCKIN ASS UP AND WORK. Logo is a joke anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vote - Vote - Vote

    ReplyDelete
  13. Better than Thing 45 is like saying having my feet set on fire is better than my face ablaze.
    I doubt she'll win but she's certainly ready to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which in my book gives her bigger balls for even doing it. It amazes me she just about handed him his head. I don't know why people are so afraid to vote in New blood. Ill never understand it.

      Delete
  14. I hadn't heard of her running for office until today. I'm in CA and we NEVER hear about who's running against the big name Congresspersons unless they do something to make an ass out of themselves. I'd vote for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just it. When Caitlyn Jenner was running everybody heard about her and she was a damn buffoon. Then you have someone like this with intelligence, knowledge, common sense, and truly wants to help and do good by the people and then you don't hear anything about her.

      Delete
  15. Say sometimes in this case the United States surprises me. I don't think you'll see that in Europe for a while. Good for her. I hope she does well! And how can you not love the name?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10/21/2022

    Tundra Bunny here... Maebe is just the type of candidate needed to shake up old hidebound parties of the centre-left AND right! I hope she wins!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My congressman is a boring yet radical trump puppet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my condolences. The one we have is not much better. That's why I'm out of a hard time with politicians here where I live now. I miss the Liberals of Philly.

      Delete
  18. Anonymous10/23/2022

    First time I've heard of her. What a thrill it would be for her to win.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Go git em girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!