Thursday, October 20, 2022

NIGHT RAVEN

Let's face it...Raven's only seem to get play at Halloween. Granted they are very mysterious and haunting and seem to fit the bill for the bewitching holiday. But have you ever really looked at a Raven? They are actually very stunning birds, and almost seem to look iridescent in the right light. When I lived at the old pied de terre , I had four huge Ravens that would visit certain times of the year. When I first saw one, he came back to visit several times and even once landed on the windowsill...barely. I had no idea just how big they were up close. I eventually named him Nocturne. By time I moved I had four them visiting. I miss them and haven't see any Ravens here in Cumberland County. but the dark, mysterious raven has been depicted in literature and legends through the ages.

Ravens are playful creatures and acrobats in the sky. Raven are famous for their games of pick-up sticks. Raven are clever and more intelligent than almost any other bird. And just as cunning. They are often compared to dolphins and chimps. In experiments they have shown they can solve problems, use tools, remember how people treated them, and plan for future events. They have out tricked many species to get their food. And play pranks. Ravens can talk and sing. They have a vast repertoire of 100 or more vocalizations and can mimic human speech and singing and can imitate other birds sounds. Ravens can live anywhere and actually will remember human faces. They have been known to form bonds with humans. Which is why I have no problem having them on my side. They also seem to have friends and enemies. They are often associated with death, illness or bad omen in most cultures. In Swedish folklore, the raven is a spirit of murdered people who weren't given a Christian burial. In Irish folklore they see the raven as symbols of warfare. Yet Native Americans see the Raven in a positive light and as creator, but still know the raven is a trickster. I think they are just beautiful.

I'm not opposed to having a Raven as a pet. 

Don't know how the dogs feel about that?

22 comments:

  1. Ravens are cool! As long as they don't sit above your chamber door, muttering, muttering, nevermore, nevermore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, When I sleep, I like quiet. lol

      Delete
  2. I like ravens too. And "Nocturne" is the PERFECT name for a raven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ravens are highly intelligent and immersed in mysticism. I love the photos - especially the raven on the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gathered Jon, like myself you'd find them a kindred spirit.

      Delete
  4. "If the ravens leave the Tower [of London}, the Kingdom will fall..."

    Allegedly.

    Beautiful birds. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us hope they don't leave. The poor UK has enough to deal with currently.

      Delete
    2. The Tower has a breeding programme for ravens and they have a Raven Master to look after them.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10/20/2022

    Tundra Bunny here.... With the possible exception of Snowy Owls, the northern ravens we have here are the handsomest birds: big (about 3 pounds each), with jet black plumage that has a purplish sheen like an oil slick, beady black eyes and large, menacing-looking beaks. They are wily, fearless, uber hardy scavengers whose antics are hilarious at times. But northern ravens can also be evil, EVIL BIRDS, I tells ya! While they keep northern roads spotlessly clean of roadkill, I've also witnessed them flying at terrified cottontail rabbits in the ditches so as to herd them into oncoming vehicles for instant meals! It's never advisable to try to make a pet out of a wild animal, but perhaps a very young, injured raven that couldn't otherwise survive in the wild might be tamed enough to become an aloof pet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I know they are wily, funny, comical...and can also be wicked. I have seen them work in pairs. One would distract another bird from its nest, while the other raven would invade that bird's next and take the eggs or even still, the little hatchings. When I was at my old place, they knew my presence and would land on the windowsills for peanuts and seed. A few times even pecked at the window to get my attention.... but if anyone else was present they would scram. I always thought it was cool. They are neat birds.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous10/20/2022

    Tundra Bunny again... Are you watching "Magpie Murders" on the new season of Masterpiece Mystery? It's written by the creator of Foyle's War, Anthony Horowitz. I've also just started the novel and it's a very good read so far! This murder mystery is centred on an Olde English nursery rhyme about magpies:

    One for sorrow,
    Two for joy,
    Three for a girl,
    Four for a boy,
    Five for silver,
    Six for gold,
    Seven for a secret never to be told.

    Very Agatha Christie, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did catch the new show The Magpie Murders. I not sure yet what I thought. I found it a bit hard to get into, but will watch a few more episodes first. I loved Foyle's War

      Delete
  7. They are actually quite smart and easily tamed... up to a point. My sister has a murder of them which come to her backyard daily. She leaves them things to eat. Their favorite? Steak fries. They just love them. They now leave her little gifts... some of which have been quite horrifying. I think Ravens a just gorgeous. They always make me think of Elizabeth Montgomery. Remember how Samantha had that evil cousin who was Montgomery in a black shag wig with a giant mole on her face? She always reminded me of a Raven. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Upton!!! I agree. I miss the one that used to peck at my windows to grab my attention so I would give them some peanuts. And what kind of gifts do they leave your sister???

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous birds, and they know how to rock the black!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! They are such pretty birds arent they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nocturne is a great name for a raven. The first time I saw ravens close up was at some falls (I can’t remember which ones) at Yosemite. I had no idea how beautiful they were until then. There was something majestic and wise about them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ravens are cool. I don't get there where I live, but we do get crows every so often.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Ravens, outside of The Tower of London I've only seen one once - I was thrilled to bits.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Ms Scarlet; I've only ever seen them at the Tower. We have hundreds of crows around here, however - great big flocks of them. Or is it a mass murder? Jx

      Delete
  13. Anonymous10/23/2022

    I find Ravens stunning and love the mysticism attributed to their presence.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!