Wednesday, March 9, 2022

THE ELDERS

 I was very happy to see the delightful comments on last week's post about 91-year-old drag queen, Darcelle XV. I think we start to take for granted all the early drag queens who set the tone, but first and foremost, were never preoccupied with being the most beautiful, fishy, and a paint by number queen. Those formulas went right out the window. To still be doing drag, Darcelle at 91, still doing three shows a night for five days a week is fricking amazing. How many queens these days can say they had a career that long? It brings to mind other queens in the ring that we sadly hear very little about.

Dolly Levi dances to the beat of her own drum and never misses a beat. I mean that quite literally. At 64 Dolly is a long-time queen with the legendary Dreamgirls Revue in WEHO and Hamburger Mary's where she can be seen playing the tambourine, high kicking, cartwheels and still do splits. Dolly comes from a classical theater background, and her drag is inspired by old MGM films and the cancan dancers of Toulouse-Lautrec. She belongs to the House of St. James, the largest drag family in Orange County. "Drag queen" itself is an identity she eventually came to accept over her previous preference of female impersonator. Much like Darcelle she feels labels need to be thrown out, and she is an eminent professional and can give you the nitty-gritty of contract law and a thorough historical materialism and timeline of the ever growing drag industry at the drop of a dime. She has a quote I love. "Stop.Look.Listen.Live. Respect it. Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see."

The Goddess Bunny's cult icon status in Hollywood's underground was compounded by her mystifying personal history. The Goddess was a descendent of the Royal Italian bloodline and was one of several friends who was present when Divine's body was discovered after her untimely death. The Goddess was stricken with polio as a child and subjected to a number of botched corrective procedures, and various sexual abuse took place as well. She received substandard medical care that severely affected her posture and growth. It was in her mid-teens that she said she first identified as transgender, coming out to her parents and experiencing rejection. But that didn't stop her. By the late 70's she had found her calling performing drag in underground Hollywood clubs. Her live performances were a mix of live singing, lip-synch and tap dance to a truly one-of-a-kind act. She gained further notoriety for her unabashed sexiness that remained uncompromised by her unique physicality.  While she always remained a cult queen, she did have a few breakthroughs that included Hollywood Vice, Scumbag and starred in music videos for Dr. Dre and Marilyn Manson. And she never wavered from lending a hand to LGBT charities especially for the disabled. She sadly passed away in January of 2021 of COVID.


With a force of subtle persuasion and magnetic manifestation at 75 years old, Donna Personna is more powerful than ever. She cities Jackie O and Marilyn Monroe as major inspirations, lithely embodying that tension between wife and mistress. Elegant, sultry, vulnerable, she gives it all. She was the one who jump started and starred in the project Beautiful By Night, a documentary about the Hot Box Girls, a group of elder drag queens who still are performing at Aunt Charlie's in San Francisco's seedy Tenderloin neighborhood. She's a legend in San Fran and will continue to transmit a history of queer resistance to the younger generations. Donna has also co-written and is portrayed in the forthcoming play Compton's Cafeteria. She recounts the feeling of liberation and belonging she found as a teenage boy in the eponymous uprising of transgender sex workers, gay hustlers and hippies depicted in the play and her role in the Compton Riots. She has also started work on the screenplay.


Olivia Hart is one of the senior drag queens at Aunt Charlie's, the last of an all-gay lounge in the tenderloin neighborhood of San Fran, along with Donna Personna. Olivia is another of the queens who feel drag queens don't need to be high polish and fishy.  Olivia has said in a film that "My thing is not being a female illusionist where I look dead-on woman. I'm a man in a dress, and not afraid to show that." Olivia has stared for the last 20 years at the lounge and now at 70 shows no signs of stopping. And when it comes to gay rights and gay bashing, she will slap the shit out of you and ask questions later. 

These are just four more queens who have heart and show that they have staying power and are here to prove a drag queen can still have life after 40. These are the queens of a dying breed. And below is a fascinating, if not gritty documentary by James Hosking that showcases just that. What does it mean to grow older when you're a drag queen?


33 comments:

  1. This documentary was worth a view. I was taken away for 27 minutes and wanted more. As for the stars of the show, I applaud their boldness and style, they are truly a cornerstone to our gay heritage. Drag Queens not only remind us that we live in a world full of diversity, but that we are expected to treat each other humans with the fullest of respect.
    I salute them not only for their courage but for their history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree fat sissy, I wanted to see more too.

      Delete
  2. These queens are all beautiful in their own way,and I can't even imagine starting that young and seeing and living through all they have seen. Rather a shame we only hear about the beauty and fish queens the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be fully honest, I had no idea some of them were still alive, shame on me.

    Captivating, honest and raw. Being allowed to capture people being themselves is a real privilege. Does show the gritty side of drag too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great film. The club kinda reminds me of a club that used to be in San Diego called Lips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks once again for the introductions and the enlightenment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to everyone being themselves and marching to the beat of their own drums!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy drag has come so far, but I can remember this was drag in the early days when I came out and enjoyed it just as much. We'd be lucky if queens can last as long now. Those are long careers. This very candid documentary gave me so much more respect for the amount of time and energy it takes to perform in drag. Especially at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic documentary and fantastic post!
    One thing is to recognize what Drag Race has done for the profession, but we cannot forget who came before the IG filters and the makeup tutorials on YouTube.
    I have so much respect for these artists!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are trailblazers in every profession who deserve to be remembered and celebrated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How dare you print my age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be glad I didn't borrow your underwear.

      Delete
  11. I like to see where we came from, and who brought us here, so I love these kinds of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How freaking awesome are they? Wouldn't it be a toast to them if Ru did a few episodes or a season featuring them so maybe the youngsters could see that age doesn't mean you have to call it quits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be nice...but that would never happen.

      Delete
  13. That is hard work... such commitment to their craft - it is admirable. But, if they are living their best lives and remain true to themselves? Then they should carry on. Such beauty renders a fragility and with that comes a tenderness I wish even the young queens could manifest. Thanks for sharing these iconic figures. Gay history is history and it must be preserved in all its forms. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of them were new to me Upton. I do think it's important to remember these queens and trailblazers and read up on them periodically. Thanks for the lovely kisses.

      Delete
  14. Fascinating. I'll bet they never once thought that in their senior years they would be considered icons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right. I don't think icons ever even know they are icons. They just do their thing.

      Delete
  15. How admirable these ladies are; living in a hostile environment yet still fighting for LGBT rights for others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Helen. And the club is a huge dive, a hole in the wall, but sometimes the best times are in places like that. The club where they perform is in a very bad and dangerous part of town too. I don't think I would ever go there to see a show sadly. I was once in that part of town, and that was enough. A long story.

      Delete
  16. Now, this is the kind of stuff that drew me to your blog, Mads. Being old myself, I can't quite remember how I found you. I came for the drag history and stayed for the houseboys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the Mistress's tricks say the same thing.

      Delete
    2. I'm the same way Deedles. I too found the Mistress by pure accident; I think a mention in a Wikipedia page and have stayed ever since. I love the fun, the music and the important things too.

      Delete
    3. And Im glad for all three of you!

      Delete
  17. Absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that documentary! See my post from 2014 for more.

    Over here in the UK, we have the legend that is Maisie Trollette - who, it seems, had her own biopic released last year (although I have no clue where or even if anyone can get to see it!)...

    ...and such venerable drag pioneers as Bette Bourne (although, admittedly, she's more "radical faerie" than "pub drag") and the remaining members of his troupe Bloolips.

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check that out. I don't recall reading that one my dear.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Hope you enjoy discovering Maisie and Bette as well! Jx

      Delete
  19. What a subtle, bittersweet film. I some days miss the old drag days like this. Far more campy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sublime and divine film and post. I can't even imagine what the Goddess Bunny has been through in her time and she still wanted to perform drag and bring happiness. And then to loose her to COVID. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes I loved the post on Darcelle so it's nice to see there are other elders out there and still doing drag. Where do they get the energy????I also watched that video. Simple, yet such beautiful story telling. A raw unfiltered look. Kudos to them and the filmmaker. I love the whole vibe of Olivia Hart

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!