Friday, March 4, 2022

DARCELLE XV

Only a few roses remain in Portland, leaves of a certain vibrant color. Some say you haven't lived if you haven't put a dollar into the G-string of a 91-year-old drag queen dressed as a cowboy in butt-less leather chaps. That's the motto of Darcelle XV, the world's oldest working female impersonator, known as the "unofficial welcome wagon to Portland." With her towering wigs, hand-sewn frocks, huge jewels and a flamboyant persona modelled on B-list French actress from the 1950's, thousands have flocked to her cabaret club for over 60 years, Darcelle XV. She is the actual title holder of the world's oldest working queen when she took that title several years ago at 89. But she is also distinguished from all the other queens in that she has worked and owned her own club since the 60's, the fabulous, Darcelle XV Showroom, situated just north of downtown, very near the river. A bevy of talent and stunning beauties. A modern-day Jewel Box Revue of sorts.  Darcelle is the author of two books about her long and accomplished life, one of which I have read, Just Call Me Darcelle. In the book she writes a lot about how careful and long it took her to maintain a careful partition between Darcelle and Walter, her given name. She kept them apart for years, but over time, they had integrated, and merged into one. Yet despite the apparent unity, she still insists on the possibility of multiplicity: "Don't build a fence around me. I'm not one person, none of us are. We fought to do away with labels; now there is a label for everything." Amen! Having lived through WWII, the Persian Gulf War, racial tensions, the Compton and Stonewall Riots, losing many friends, co-workers and family to the AIDS epidemic, The COVID pandemic, and the riots that took the streets of the BLM movement in Portland... I'm here to tell you this queen is a testament of life, the wealth of storytelling and lesson to learn from her are a treasure. She is the definition of survival of the fittest. How many queens can say they have had a career span this long, doing weekly shows?!?!?

For her, the freedoms struggled for the gay liberation movement were bound up in this possibility of radically remaking any aspect of one's life or identify. And I adore her for that. There's a quote in her book I read that I love. "If you're not happy-with your friends, family, job, self-move on! Someone once asked me my pronouns, I said, FUCK YOU! I don't care what you call me, as long as you're calling me...." And that checks clear. Amen sister!!!! Now all rise for Darcelle!!!

40 comments:

  1. Well, isn't she all kinds of fabulousness!!
    And I agree 100% with her philosophy. Move on!!!!
    Thanks for sharing her. I'm seeing a drag show in our future on our next trip to Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a WONDERFUL! The most inspiring thing I read all week.

    I plan to watch that clip with my lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How terrific is she? Two things stand out for me. 1. " I'm not one person, none of us are." Amen to that! We all present different "selves" in each different situation with different people. 2. Labels. You know how I've struggled to get my readers to cease with the labels. Hail Darcelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thankful for guys like him who made my life of openness and performing drag possible. God bless him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A heart warming post today. I agree with him too, of course...keep PORTLAND weird! I’ve been to Darcelle’s club in Old Town PORTLAND. Such fun! Walker/Darcelle is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All my LOVE and RESPECT sending it her way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You GO HENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a damn inspiration!!!!

    THAT is staying power.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an inspiration. It would be a privilege to visit her club. Thanks for the video!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting life. Looking great for her age, I guess we can change Black Don't Crack to Darcel Don't Crack either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darcelle is one canny lady and she is right about labels. Labels are a way of making sense of the world, but labels can and are misused. Rather than labelling people ask them how they see themselves and you will learn something new every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here Here Helen!!!! Your absolutely right.

      Delete
  11. She is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My hat is off to this lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3/04/2022

    I was not familiar with Darcelle before your post. Sounds like she has had a fascinating life. Keep doing your thing, Darcelle XV!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is truly amazing!!!!! Hell...most days I wish I had half her energy. And thanks for posting the docu. That was a fun watch. What an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My ex and I got to see her perform on a trip to Portland years ago. Was so much fun to watch. She and the show for me are what drag is all about. And color me surprised to find out how old Darcelle is, I had no idea!!!! She must have been early 80's then. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this Queen. All Arise Indeed. I never got the chance to go to see one of her shows yet, but we should all be as lucky to still be having crowds come see us at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That and this post was amazing! I didn't want the clip to end. Futher amazing is the support from his family. I can't believe his son worked in the place for close to 30 years! Now THIS is a drag story for the books!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Excellent choice this week and what an eye-opening documentary on this fabulous queen. I'm sad to say I have never heard of her, and THIS is why I love your blog. You keep these things alive and bring them to light so we don't forget.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a good read and thanks for the link and the movie. Darcelle was a revolutionary change within the LGBTQ community, and how sad we barely ever hear of these fine people. Thanks for this good read today. That clip got me in a few places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right. And yet another living legend that we so sadly hear little about. And she very seldom if ever turns down a charity for anything.

      Delete
  20. C'est Magnifique!

    I raise a toast to a fabulous survivor!

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love to Darcelle XV. A LGBTQ monument.

    XO and one for Jesus
    Miss R

    ReplyDelete
  22. Definition of inspiration. I'm grateful to her. Im half her age and couldn't imagine doing three shows a night for 5 days a week. Now that is commitment, at any age, let alone 91!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could Darcelle be drinking Red Bulls?

      Delete
  23. I need this inspiration right now. Wonderful.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  24. A role model for when you get old,

    ReplyDelete
  25. I Love that Darcelle/Walter said Fuck You to the Pronouns. What an Inspiration, Role Model and a Survivor, doing that many Shows for so long and remaining relevant and successful in your own business since the 60's is beyond amazing and a Testimony of how committed to whatever you do! Just Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is quite the run and feat in the drag world. And to be running them that long.

      Delete
  26. And long may she reign. How fascinating... to be so dedicated to a craft. I can't imagine all it takes to keep that show up and running. But age comes to us all, darling... a matter of time. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One show a night can be tiring, let alone three a night!!!! That's insane.

      Delete
  27. Wow! It's like looking in a mirror! I've gotten a little paler during my hibernation. Nothing pithy here, everybody else has said it all quite well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that! I have seen your mug and it's flawless!

      Delete
    2. I, Jahoobie the Hutt, thank you, sweetie.

      Delete
    3. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  28. Liberation!!! We will all need.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!