Tuesday, March 1, 2022

FASTNACHTS

 
While this day is not really a holiday, it always gives me fond memories of both grandmothers. Today is Fat Tuesday or as we call it Fastnacht Day!!! A Fastnacht is a fluffy pastry similar in texture to a donut but does not have a hole and is not filled with any fillings. Most Fastnacht's are plain, sugar or powdered and are of a rectangular shape. So if you imbibe today and it has a hole, it's not a true Fastnacht. Although a true Pennsylvania Dutch person will tell you they are served best warm and plain. The exact history of the Fastnacht seem to be a great debate, but Fat Tuesday is one day before the beginning of the forty days of the Lenten season that will lead up to Easter in the Christian tradition. There are many ingredients in them, including flour, fat, eggs, and lots of butter. Most of these items are given up for lent, and during this time, aren't consumed. The problem came about what to do with all these contents in the meantime before they spoil? So, the good people in Central and Eastern PA, where this day seems to be the most popular in the country, make tons of Fastnacht's to gorge the family on before fasting.


Every year since I was in my 20's, I can't help but think of the Mistress's maternal grandmother who was always in the kitchen this day making and frying tons of these things for the ladies' church function that they would have that day. Plus, she made extra generally for the whole neighborhood and our family. I can still smell them. In the later years, they took the Fastnacht making to the church kitchen, and would sell them four to a bag. So even though she is gone, I always have to partake in at least one... or four Fastnacht's for the day.


I also get excited because right around this time, you know that spring and Easter will herald weather and earthly changes taking us from winter into spring. Once I got back up to Harrisburg yesterday, I was right off to Oak Grove Farms for our box of Fastnacht's and a couple boxes for the shop for customers!!!! 
Come Wednesday, I may need larger jeans. 
Can my ass get bigger?

32 comments:

  1. Here in the Chicago area with its large Polish community, we have Paczki, pronounced “poonch - key.” A very similar dough but with fillings such as custard, raspberry, apple, etc. Gotta fatten up for Lent, my dears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For reference https://www.everygoddamnday.com/2022/02/dont-buy-paczki-on-paczki-day.html

      Delete
    2. Have you seen my ass?

      Delete
    3. Any chance I get. 😜

      Delete
  2. Luckily for me I am not a sweets person because these look so good I'd take a swan dive into a box of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course it can get bigger, indulge and enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom used to make them, as did her mom. I know a real Dutchy recipe includes mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a day I can get behind. Those Fasnacht's have a very appetizing coating, Mistress. How would you discourage people from licking them? And what would happen if you coated yourself with the same ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess would be lick him head to toe?

      Delete
  6. Oh, how lovely. I love pastries! And these look luscious. Granted, I can't eat them, but just the smell... I bet it is amazing. As are you, my dear. You'd look good in jeans any size. Enjoy! Life is short. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to order a few dozen of those delicious looking doughnuts! But unfortunately, my ass wouldn't look anywhere as nice as your full bottom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this is a day I can get behind. And your one of the few I believe who has heard of Fasnacht day. It most definitely brings back memories of my mother and grandparents. My daughter is bringing me a box from the Paoli Market later today. Nice post today and keeping traditions alive. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fuck the carbs! Im jumping in henny!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those things! Imbibe. And, why not? You'll have forty days to lose any gain. But your ass has always looked fine to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's pancake day today and I was due to go out for a pancake lunch - currently feeling far from 100%. Now only another 6 1/2 weeks when theoretically I shouldn't be eating chocolate. But luckily for me I'm an atheist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could get behind this holiday. I don't think there's anyplace nearby that makes these, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like Oliebollen, but I am dying to have taste of your Fasnachts. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Feliz fasnachts! I’m pretty sure your ass can always get bigger. St. Andrew’s 1950. Even I wasn’t born yet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG now I'm hungry!
    I'm plotting right now when I can get me some of this.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Huntley could feed you his Paczki.

      Delete
    2. I’m here to serve.

      Delete
  16. Another baked treat I've never heard of, Mistress... your blog is so edifying and fattening, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YUMMM!!! I was looking for an explanation as such. My great grandma made them as well, but I haven't found a replacement in the 20 years she's been gone. STUFF UR FACES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah, I don't do carbs.

    And if you believe that one, I'll tell you another one! I do like these and they aren't that sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's Fat Tuesday for our krewe, sweetpea! Since we're in L.A. and not NOLA, we were content with leftover Red Beans and Rice for lunch, with a small(ish) glass of red wine. For me, this time of the year means Cadbury mini eggs are in the stores waiting for me!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. It amazing what one learns though the blogger world. I never heard of these before. Although I heard of king cake. I hope to get chance to make a king cake this year. Minus baby.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous3/01/2022

    Those looked delicious. Eat one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You'll always look great in your skinnies! Lent, eh? I don't have much left to give up!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the mistress gave it up years ago.

      Delete
  23. Nothing could make your ass look any less delicious.

    We don't have those out here...just the regular donuts. And they don't count do they?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!