Sunday, December 2, 2018

UNUSUAL SUSPECTS

It's been a fun weekend here, the Mistress's schedule is still going like a locomotive. Im still recovering from New York, then I was in Philadelphia this weekend for the Fabulous Fashion exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and a visit to Strawberry Mansion and Lemon Hill. Before departing, I did get to see two of my favorite guest....the Nuthatch.
To me these guy are so fast and funny. They will weasel their way in to get seed, and then fly to the tree to hide it in pieces of bark for later in the winter. They sort of stock pile like squirrels do. They often don't stay on the sill long, but they are clowns.And if you have heard them, they sound like they are laughing like a hyena.

I also like the Red Bellied Woodpecker
Now if other birds feed on the sill, except maybe the Blue Jay, he will nub them in the butt to get his share. Some think their mean, I see him as Sally Brown. "All I want is what's coming to me, all I want is my fair share."
 But then this week I thought I saw a unusual suspect. On the sill Friday, I thought what I saw was a female cardinal, and paid no mind. But upon walking Buster before heading to Philly, my neighbor Ann, a dear soul and birder, who I ran into informed me we have wax wings. She said go near the woods, their everywhere. Sure enough she has been feeding them and putting fruit out for them.

 She noticed them two weeks ago, This is typical behavior for Cedar waxwings, flighty and nomadic as they cover lots of area looking for their favorite foods, berries. They never seem to stay in one place very long for what I understand. They can occur in large flocks, so they can deplete a food source quickly, hence the need for constant movement.

Upon further research I found out don’t expect them to check out your feeders. Cedar waxwings won’t take conventional feeder fare such as seed and suet, and it’s not possible to supply the number of berries and fruit required to keep them around. You can attract them, though, by planting fruit-bearing native trees such as dogwood, red cedar, hawthorn and native hollies, hence why they must like our woods here. To be successful in bringing them in for a close look, however, keep a fresh supply of water available. Water, especially in really cold weather, is like a cedar waxwing magnet. They literally swarm around the source, usually in the company of American robins, their most common traveling partners. We do have a pretty nice stream running through the woods also. Ann has placed a terra cotta platter with fruit on a stump, which they seem to be enjoying.
Cedar waxwings are truly beautiful birds. A feather is never out of place. So Ann and I plan to enjoy them while they last here.

40 comments:

  1. Your feathered friends are always amazing and delightful. I've never heard of a nuthatch, but that woodpecker is spectacular! And I love the waxwings.
    Lately I've been seeing a lot of cardinals out here in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have cardinals year around, but seems in the fall and this time of year, they get scarce. Once the berries are gone and other food sources are done, they will be back to the sill in the winter. They are so pretty.

      Delete
  2. No sooner I posted this, did a waxwing land briefly on the sill to collect fruit pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loves the effort and work you put into the birdies and the reports to us. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling particularly pissed off today.
    Seeing these beautiful birds has brought me joy. Thank you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it helped your mood, They often do for me too.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photo's Mistress. You have so many different birds in your garden. And all slightly different from our birds. I have never seen a smoother bird then a waxwing. Beauties for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever since I emailed you about what mixture you are using, I counted birds this morning, and submitted 12 species. I have all the same birds you've listed in this post and others, with exemption of the wax wings. They are stunning. I have even started sprinkling some seed on the back sills, and have attracted the doves and sparrows thus far. It is great fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exciting Agnes! Im glad it worked. It just takes time till they can find you, and then they're in for the haul!!!

      Delete
  7. American birds are so brighter than their English counterparts ( except for the kingfisher ) glorious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do get waxwings in winter here in the UK, too - and we have a native nuthatch and grey woodpecker (with a red head). However, we certainly don't get anything as spectacular as a cardinal, that much is true.

      I do love watching the humble little wrens, tits and finches foraging in the trees at the bottom of our garden, nevertheless. Jx

      Delete
    2. I can see, Im going to have to start numbering the Jons around here.

      @Jon- I figured you more enjoying cocks then tits?

      @JohnGray....the King fisher is a glorious bird, your right.

      Delete
    3. i thought you already did number your johns?

      Delete
  8. Great post.... I had 7 geese here today looking for food in this horrible rainy drear... I fed them. Those wax wings are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice to see something other than wild turkeys and crows. I like the bird posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all common birds in our area, too. A few years ago I wouldn't have been able to identify any of them except the cardinal and robin:) But your posts has helped me differentiate between most of them. The most common bird, though, in my backyard is the sparrow. They have been raiding the feeders. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful pictures you have today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent photos!!!! There was a flock of robins around the pond here yesterday. Some think robins are a sign of spring, but mine hang around all winter. My most common bird in my backyard this winter is the American goldfinch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm amazed with the selection of birds you have in your area, and they are all beautiful birds too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just at a lake yesterday and saw many birds and thought to myself, I bet the Mitsress know what all these birds are. I did know the Blue Jay and Cardinal though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool you get to see all those birds! Love the idea of having a feeder *takes notes for spring*

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cap Chasen12/02/2018

    Oh how cool! That's a rare sight here in the East. My ex father-in-law used to lure them into his yard by offering just the right fruit and berries in his feeders, I think. Either in the feeders or on a tray. Even then they were scarce. Yeah, I never saw one hang out in plain sight for so long like that either. Another nice capture grab! Well done Maddie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how beautiful! I love their eye liner!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You always get such great pictures. We don't have any of those birds here. The Nuthatch looks like such a funny one. I love those waxwings! Especially because, they have that little poof of feathers on their head.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful! Thanks for sharing Maddie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are you on Twitter? I was thinking you could tweet this out to your little friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me guess...your here all week right? LOL,LOL,LOL

      Delete
  21. I imagine they missed you while you were away, and are thrilled to be posing on the sill again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like cedar waxwings. We get them as far north as Edmonton. They love to eat the berries off mountain ash (rowan) trees.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful! Just sitting there looking handsome! All of them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great pictures. Such detail and those wax wings are so pretty. What a treat to see such beautiful birds . You continue to give awesome posts with these feathered ones.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Never seen a bird like this wax wing before. Very elegant looking bird. Beautiful. This made me smile, but then they always do.

    ReplyDelete
  26. And yet they are all so different from one another. I love Waxwings. The black around their face makes them look like little super heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have never seen a waxwing before. They are beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my god. What wonderful visitors. I love them all. But Cedar Waxwings are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mistress you attract the most interesting visitors on two legs. And some of them even have wings! 😉. The wildlife in your neck of the woods is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And some n9ght when Ms Moorecock tells me seven wildlife on two legs are at the door, I say send two home, I'm exhausted.

      Delete
  30. That is quite the avian menagerie! We get sparrows, grackles, mockingbirds, finches, and the occasional hawk (the feathered kind!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hawk last winter....he got a poor sparrow and consumed it right in front of the windows here.

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!