Sunday, December 23, 2018

MAGICIAL GARDENS

I was going to post this sooner today, but got caught it in a fabulous performance of the Philadelphia Orchestra's Sounds of Christmas concert with guest conductor Bramwell Tovey. It was a great listen and a hat tip to Cello Josh for alerting me to listen in! Bravo!

I had the opportunity about a week ago to go visit the  exquisite Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square on a day off. Longwood Gardens has a rich and varied history. For thousands of years, the native Lenni Lenape tribe fished its streams, hunted its forests, and planted its fields. In 1700, Quaker farmer, George Peirce, purchased 400-acres of the English-claimed land and began developing the property. His decedents eventually created an arboretum of some of the finest trees in the nation. Unfortunately, as years passed, heirs lost interest and the land suffered decades of neglect until 1906, when it was obtained by Pierre du Pont - entrepreneur, businessman, philanthropist and member of the prominent du Pont family. Pierre and his wife's passion and vision created the groundwork for what is now Longwood Gardens - home to many spectacular botanical collections spread across 1,083-acres. One of the volunteers who was pottering in the gardens, told me it is all wonderfully maintained by a staff of 1,300 employees, students and volunteers. We have Pierre du Pont and his love of arbor and being a naturist to treasure this gem today.  At Christmas it is truly magical.

The conservatory or Orangery is the most iconic of spaces at Longwood. The stately greenhouse garden features an ever-changing display of flowers and foliage that exude color and fragrance.Built between 1919 and 1921, the Orangery was originally filled with citrus fruit trees. The citrus was eventually phased out and flowering plants surrounding manicured lawns became the focal point, a design approach used to this day. The DuPont's also had their ballroom located here.
This beautiful tree is made of green stained glass pieces all hand hung individually to create this tree look. Truly amazing.
Grapefruits in bloom
This is from the bonsai room. This art form always amazes me. This one was started in 1905.
The ballroom tree.
My first visit to the reading room, which isn't always open. Truly stunning.
A wreath made entirely of book pages
This tree was creative. made and shaped of stacked books!
I have no idea how they did this? But how cool is that?
The beautiful floating trees over the pond.
A orchid tree in the orchid room.
Caught the train on the way over to the DuPont house. Not literality though.
Built in 1730 by Joshua Peirce, the Peirce-du Pont House is the oldest structure at Longwood. The core of the original brick house is an outstanding example of Federal-style architecture. It was the homestead of the Peirce family until 1905 and borders Peirce’s Park, the arboretum founded in 1798 by Joshua and Samuel Peirce.Pierre S. du Pont purchased the house in 1906 and personally directed its renovation. He eventually doubled its size in 1914, adding the conservatory that became Longwood’s first ‘winter garden.’ A must see while there. At Christmas, I love the huge tree and all the bottle brushes.
But at night...…
If you plan to go if your local, or for out of towners, I recommend planning a whole day there, and also go online and get tickets ahead of time, you will be able to get right in. They also have great eateries with excellent food, and even offer wine and beers. It was by far my favorite things I did for myself this season. In closing here's a recording from the victrola in the DuPont house. I loved it's sound.

29 comments:

  1. I have never seen the dupont house. when I was a child, my parents would take my sister and I to longwood gardens; it was FREE back in the day (the 60s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygosh....you'd enjoy the house AM. So mush history posted to read and real cool photos of Longwood over the years and pictures of the soirees and family. They really cared for the land and earth.

      Delete
  2. I'm always amazed by Longwood... the gardens are simply fantastic. It's not uncommon to be left breathless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right. I am at peace there. I wonder if I could have my ashes spread there? Ashes honey, not ass.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Wow! Wow! The bonsai room would a fav for me. Can
    you picture the gnomes in there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only if the gnomes could bring their beer...

      Delete
    2. @Mother this and tomorrows post are partially inspired by you and your love of nature...so Im glad you enjoyed...thank you. And Anne Marie is right...after beer, the gnomes would be lost for days there.

      Delete
  4. Just spectacular! Holy moly! I love that photo of the "books tree" -- is it okay if I use it on my blog, with your permission and a photo credit to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debs my dear, your more than welcome too! You and rare one would just love this place. Now enjoy and be in good health!
      🍸💋🎄

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Mistress! (See, I don't always just STEAL stuff)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your visit in colorful pictures to such a wonderful place. It is definitely one of our area's best gems for sure. That was a feast for the eyes. Even my sister is oh-ing and awing with each picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live an hour or less from the city, from Longwood Gardens. It is one of my favorite place to visit, always so peaceful and and I get inspiration from there. I visit often winter, summer, spring and fall. I enjoyed seeing your pictures very much. You really captured the essence there.

    And glad you enjoyed the concert, Mr Tovey is a fun gentleman and so talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I heard it and he and the concert were magnifique.

      Delete
  7. I must leave you another comment! I just noticed your reference at the beginning of this post to guest conductor Bramwell Tovey -- I adore him! He was the conductor of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra when I lived in Winnipeg. Then he went to Vancouver with the Vancouver Symphony. I'm not sure where his "home symphony" is now (in the States, I believe). But he is SO witty and charming and such a joy when conducting. I'm not surprised you enjoyed listening to that concert so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he was Debs! One of the most charming conductors they have had and he put on quite the show and even had wrote his own piece inspired by Rittenhouse Park. It was a beautiful song too. I believe he is still in Vancouver, so I researched. And yes... there was a extension of Tovey's contract through the 2017-2018 season, and the scheduled conclusion of his music directorship of the VSO at that time. Tovey is scheduled to take the title of VSO music director emeritus with the 2018-2019 season, the VSO's 100th season. What a treasure you have there.

      Delete
  8. I love cyclamen, so delicate and such pretty colors right at the time of the year when that's just what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mistress, I cant tell you again how much of late I have been enjoying your blog. What a wonderful post, they always seem to top themselves with the beauty. We didn't make it this year, but are very close to Longwood and are members, so we go there quite a bit. It is always wonderful. I also heard they has firepits this year to warm one's self?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cap Chasen12/23/2018

    It’s been on my list of places to visit for a long time! Thank you for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being into landscaping and horticulture I loved this and knows how much time and effort goes into this type of thing.The garden tour is magical! The designs are interesting, I would love to go there when I come out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The history of Longwood Gardens was very interesting and I like that you always provide details and facts from the places you visit. But his is quite amazing. I especially enjoyed the orangery and the house. And that recording just bring home the whole visit so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Longwood Gardens is truly amazing. I've never been there but I was so impressed with the flora and specimens of flowers and plants. The way everything is displayed is so beautiful and creative, and that icicle tree is stunning! I love bonsai too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic pictures! But that last one took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This place is beautiful, and I especially like the night time pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Longwood is simply magical. One of the often overlooked gems at Longwood is the DuPont House. When I lived in Philly, I can't believe how many only tour just the orangery. Your post is so pretty. I am loving that stained glass tree and the books one too. I miss that place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning!!! You took my breath away for sure. The tree are jaw dropping, and I love the poinsettias.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to thank you for always sharing so much beauty and creativity! You make the days better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We should come up and see this, and a couple of other estates in the Philly area.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My goodness! What a treasure you have there. The time and care this takes is amazing. Thanks for sharing your visit with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have yet ever been taken there yet Mistress. But it's all so pretty, but I too find that last picture of the illuminated trees so cool and amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!