Wednesday, December 5, 2018

CHRISTIAN DIOR ME


Christian Dior.
Yves Saint Laurent.
Cristobal Balenciaga.
Hubert de Givenchy.
Pierre Cardin.

Those are just some of the designers whose work I saw on display this past weekend at the Philadelphia Museum of Art's latest exhibition, "Fabulous Fashion: From Dior's New Look to Now."The exhibit, runs until March 3, 2019, looks at how feminine fashion has evolved since 1947.Showcasing a mix of haute couture and ready-to-wear pieces from throughout the decades, the exhibit highlights differences in the use of metallics, embellishments, shape, volume, color, pattern and accessories over time. I just love me some fashion , hence my job as a visual stylist. And a huge fan of Christian Dior. Is it any wonder I was obsessed with Eva Peron when I went to Buenos Aries? Girlfriend had taste.

While the exhibit starts its fashion journey in the late 1940s, it continues it well into the modern day with an autumn/winter 2018/2019 runway piece by Comme des Garcons in Tokyo. Other more modern looks include a 2011 skeleton-like ensemble by German designer Bernhard Willhelm (complete with shoes with skull clasps) and a 2006 glamorous evening dress by Oscar de la Renta. The Philadelphia Museum of Art is one of only a handful of major art museums in the country that still maintain a significant collection of costumes and textiles, they told us on the tour, like over 30,000 pieces! That's unfortunate because the work in these media represents a very significant history of the arts in the country and also represents a story of technical and artistic innovation and achievement.
Vienne Westwood platforms!!!
As always with the Philadelphia Museum of Art, there's more to the exhibit than just the exhibit itself. There will be various public programs held throughout the exhibition's run that relate to fashion, including a headwear workshop. I thought that the exhbit was thoughtfully presented. Every garment, after all, reflects design, tailoring, taste, and the period and culture in which it is worn. Whether you view the exhibit as artist, anthropologist, historian, fashionista, or someone who stands perplexed at the closet wondering what to wear, the exhibit offers a chance to become acquainted with a collection....and day dream which ensemble you will wear that night. Course I wanted to take them all home.
You can never have to many hats .Hats hats hats!!

 Can any of you guess which one I went with????

27 comments:

  1. Interesting. The 60's stand out, not so much for their style but rather their kookiness. People thought they were dressing cool, and all I can do is look back and laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this exhibition was certainly right up your alley, wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is a traveling exhibit, one of my friends saw it in Denver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea if this show traveled or not, since the pieces are in the Philly museum collection.

      Delete
    2. Found some info:
      November 21, 2018 |

      Denver could soon trade in its tired reputation as a cowtown for a new identity as a fashion capital, thanks to the Denver Art Museum and its new exhibit, Dior: From Paris to the World.

      This is the first retrospective exhibition in the United States to focus on the work of Christian Dior and the House of Dior, spanning over seven decades. The showstopping display includes 200 haute couture dresses, costume jewelry, photographs, runway videos, art objects, original sketches and other archival materials that trace the history of the iconic French fashion house, which Dior started in 1947.

      Delete
  4. I could pick out the colorful 60s fashions immediately! but how cool was that the mannequins were not all white!!! pix #7 - the strapless gold lame number, I'd like to see you wear THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you speaking my language Mistress. William and I have been trying to get to Philly to see this. I must. He has been under the weather of late, but this certainly gives me something to look forward too. I see you in a more big statement dress, like that big ruffled yellow dot dress myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this has your name all over it. I also love your opening picture with the tree in front of the museum. You take such creative angles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These could definitely amp up my drag shows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen a fashion exhibit since McQueen was at the New York Met. I would love to see this one. So many good designers.

    And loving those Vienne Westwood pumps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess that I don't have the fashion sense gene. Not interested in it at all. It is fun to watch others who do love it, though. I will go for cheap, comfortable and fits me every time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh loves it! Bet Comme does Garçons was AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you need to take a cold shower after all that excitement? Looks like you were in your element there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fascinating exhibit! I loved everything....except those shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do so love looking at past fashions. Most were so elegant and feminine, weren't they.
    I love looking at old photographs too for the same reason.
    We are all much more casual about dress these days. I myself wear jeans a lot of the time. My mother never wore a pair of jeans or even trousers in her whole life.

    I love the deep pink, lace, crinoline type dress. It's soooo beautiful.
    My son is getting married on December 29th so I have the opportunity to wear a dress and a hat!

    I think I'd quite like to see you in the black feather dressed dress above the one I've chosen. You'd be the belle of any ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny about your mother. My late grandmother and my aunt, whose currently 72 never, ever wore a pair of Jean's or trousers ever. My aunt always look very Elieen Fisher.

      Delete
  14. Wow! And now the song will be playing in my head for the rest of the day. They need their escape... and so do I!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anything from your past you should donate to the collection?

    ReplyDelete
  16. In Three Words:

    Works of Art.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw the exhibit and loved all 5he color. And those three drapey bold colored ensembles I loved. They would hide my big ass. It was a good exhibit I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never been concerned with fashion... I know, I know. But I always wonder at, as I put it, "Fashion over function." Look good, yes. Be uncomfortable to do so? Doesn't make sense to me. I'll take my whipping now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @whkattk- Thank you! I'm sending you a hug! I know you would probably prefer a whipping from Maddie, but a Deedles hug is nothing to sneeze at.

      Delete
    2. Listen, when it comes to drag, it's always fashion over function....pulled, snitched, tucked, tight, high heels. But out of drag, I have found fashion and function.

      And yes nothing like a hug from a deedles!

      Delete
    3. Ooh, Maddie, you've changed your avatar/icon/picture thingy! I like it!

      Delete
  19. Spectacular indeed. I wish something like that would come around here. To see actual Dior pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have always thought the Philadelphia museum of art does a good job of exhibitions.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love looking at female fashions. I'm sure I would have had a ball there.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!