Monday, December 3, 2018

FAREWELL GRANDE DAME

If your a regular reader of this blog, you'll know that the month of December it is tradition for me to feature the spectacular things and sights I see in New York, for those who can't make it to the city. And this year is no exception...and they were as usual- spectacular. But the Mistress needed a fainting chaise this time dear readers, as it was a tad sad.

Henri Bendel — is shutting its doors after 123 years. And the Mistress is completely upset by the news since I first heard it. I haven't been this upset  of a store closing since John Wanamaker's lambchops. No trip for me is complete without a visit to Henri Bendel's, and I do consider myself a Bendel Girl!!! I could always find the perfect gift there, my ALL TIME favorite candles come from there, and their service and atmosphere is top notch,. They would even offer to send my parcels to my home if I didn't want to lug them around town. What dears. And the atmosphere was always so fun and chic, everything arranged just so. To me, Henri Bendel's was like Tiffany's to Holly Golightly ." Well, when I get it, the blues, the only thing that does any good is to jump in a cab and go to Bendel's. Calms me down right away.If I could find a real life place to make me feel like Bendel's, then I'd buy some furniture and give the cat a name."

The decision to turn out the lights in January of Bendel’s swanky store at its landmark flagship at 714 Fifth Avenue — was announced in October by its parent company L Brands, which also owns Victoria’s Secret and Bath & Body Works. L. Brands decided it need to revitalize these two companies, who are under performing and let go of Bendel's, which is actually doing quite well.
Since their closing they decided to do a tree of their iconic bags and boxes! After talking to a manager, and clearly upset, he asked me if I'd like a Bendel hat box as a memento. How swell was that!!! I will treasure it right along with my Wanamaker ornament and hat box and my Marshall Fields shopping bag collection.
Thank goodness for this waiter passing out champagne. He knew what mama needed.

Bendel, which opened its doors in New York’s Greenwich Village at the end of the 19th century, was founded by Henri Bendel, a women’s hat maker from Lafayette, Louisiana.  He moved to New York in 1895 and began catering to the city’s elite, making the stores’ brown-and-white striped shopping bags and hat boxes a coveted status symbol. Henri Bendel's sold men's items, women's clothing, cosmetics and handbags. He is also known for bringing a little designer to the United States by the name of Coco Chanel, the first to have in house fashion shows and personal shopping, and was also the first store to have the concept of having individual "boutiques" within a store, not to mention invented the semi-annual sale.  In the 1960s, its in-house illustrator was a young artist named Andy Warhol. 

Rene Jules Lalique was a renowned French glass designer in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. He is best known for his jewelry and decorative arts which were designed primarily in the Art Nouveau style, and one of his architectural pieces can be found right on the façade of Henri Bendel.714 Fifth Avenue was constructed in 1908 and converted in 1910 by Francois Coty into an emporium for his perfume. In 1912, Coty commissioned Lalique to replace part of the façade with an elegant three story work of art. Lalique designed a set of windows depicting interlocking vines and flowers. Once Coty was gone and Henri Bendels moved in, the windows were restored and are they ever beautiful. I have not yet heard what will become of the building, but I do know it's been declared a landmark thankfully.

And dear Mistress Maddie's #1 Fan even met me to take me to brunch at a hot new place called Pharmacy, knowing I'd be on the nerve of a breakdown, and try to talk me out of taking a swan dive from the fourth floor to go out with a bang like Bendel's. I can be quite dramatic huh?
I'll admit, the lure of walnut pancakes did harken.

But jokes aside, this is one store I will truly miss. Where are all the top notch stores with good service going? But  I bid a lovely good night to Herni Bendel's and thank you for some great shopping memories and feel good times.

28 comments:

  1. ooooh, those pancakes AND MM#1fan look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad that such a glorious, longstanding, landmark could just go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo...., not like Sears closing, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only fond memory of Sears is when I was very young going threw the Sears Wishbook and making my Christmas list of toys. Later it's where I suspected I might be gay...spending time enjoying the men's underwear models.....

      Delete
  4. Condolences, Mistress. It's always upsetting when a favourite beloved store closes.

    Perhaps not QUITE in the same league of loss, but I too mourned the closure of Eaton's here in Canada 25 years ago and then Sears Canada just lately. I am now reduced to shopping at the Hudson's Bay Company, never my favourite place. But *sigh* it's still better than Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Eaton's when I spent two summer in Canada, Had no idea they were gone too!!! Hudson Bay currently own another legend here, Lord and Taylor. They too have decided to dump the company, with it's stunning 10 floor flagship currently closing and many branch locations. It was quite sad to not see any holiday windows this year from them, since their the ones who started the traditions. It was a sad trip this year....thank goodness for Bergdorf Goodman.

      Delete
  5. I applaud the building will be preserved. It’s a frigging landmark! And I would LOVE one of those boxes! Or two. Btw the idea of Henri Bendel bowing to Victoria’s Secret is just appalling. Oh, and hey #1 fan Heeeyyy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's no Wal-Mart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first "designer" skirt suit was a Henri Bendel, in the early 1990's. I don't own the suit anymore, but I do own some fabulous accessories I purchased on 5th Ave over the years. I too was extremely appalled over the decision. Big Box and specialty crap stores with so-so quality and absolutely no service take the resigns, while legends take the box. Bot Americans expectations have slipped....grossly.

    Thank you and goodnigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know why this hurts my soul, because I only bought a mug and some small items from there... but it really does. But no matter the item, you were always treated with the up most value and always great service. I love your pictures as usual...a nice ode to a great store. These places have such character unlike the store today. I have yet ever be satisfied with a purchase from VS YET.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy dear, the day the store closes, I bet you'll be heavily vieled in black. Such a shame, I'm still in shock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not often I come to your blog and get upset and sad. I had no idea they were closing!!!!!!! When I come to the states and New York, I always stop in. Before leaving the US I lived in Chicago... where my favorite department store closed, Marshall Fields...another great. I love that you have some items from these stores to remember them by, especially with your job. Makes it all the more special. You sure got some great pictures of the elegant store. Damn now I'm depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will smaller stores replace the department store? Mega-Marts won't fill the niche. #1 Fan could fill a niche,

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sister loved Henri Bendel’s, which drove my mother crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have only heard of Bendels in NYC, and been to the one in kop, which is not as grand as the flagship. What a magnificent store and décor. The likes to which we will see fewer and fewer. Where do people shop eventually? Im no a online shopper at all. Thank goodness Walnut Street in Philly is thriving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Henri Bendel was the go-to store for au current haute couture merchandise (only U.S. department store similar to Galleries Lafayette ) ... until L Brands reconceived it. Hope a savvy retailer will acquire building and re-establish a similar store.It reminds me of when Neiman Marcus was bought out. It used to be so special. Now it's just one more high end department store. The wonderful things that made it unique have been erased. I hate to see what Bendels has become. As others have expressed, I wish it could be purchased away from L & restored to the special retailer it was. Thank goodness you got some memorabilia from the store as well as some magnificent pictures. Did the pancakes help any?

    ReplyDelete
  15. elegant store and good to hear of there service. you don't find service anymore.

    and just what is mm#1 F suggesting with that fork looking at you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's sad when retailers like this die off. With this economy, especially the disparity between the haves and the have nots, I'm certain we'll see more of this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great picture of such an iconic and chic shop.Leslie Wexner has cheapen and ultimately ruined every classic brand he has ever bought!He's like the Typhoid Mary of retail; he goes on unaffected, leaving the healthy, sick and dying in his wake.


    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the tree made of boxes and bags. Bendel's always does a good job. I have always been a brick and motar shopper. I want TO SEE IN PERSON what I'm buying. I'm by no means a internet shopper. And I blame internet shopping on much of this. Especially the ma and pa shops.

    ReplyDelete
  19. More passing of the retail Old Guard in the digital age. I suspect the owners at L Brands see the real estate as more valuable than the brand itself and will move to cash in on all those prime locations carried on the books at fully depreciated values.

    Bendel's was my mother's all time favorite shopping destination, going back to her college days growing up in Manhattan and later when she married and moved to Baltimore. They returned the favor when the manager of the Fifth Avenue store sent flowers to her funeral. I doubt anyone at Victoria's Secret would do the same for anyone today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How sad to shutter the one which is doing well in order to save the the two which are failing. ****sigh**** This is the age we live in - destroy the past to help the masses forget as they promote more cheap crap. For all they see are $$$$$
    You have my deepest condolences with this. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good that the building is an historic site. Sorry for the store. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  22. Being a West Coast gal (now living in the South *jesus wept*) I didn't have your Henri Bendel attachment, but I do know how I felt when Robinsons Beverly Hills store was closed and then *shutter* demolished! These are the days that me incredibly sad, in addition to all the political BS, but that's another story. Be glad you have memories and mementos, sugar! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh . I remeber Robinsons. I just heard Gumps is now closing also.

      Delete
    2. OMG! Gumps is closing on my BIRTHDAY!! :( DAMN, but I feel really really old right now. Do you remember City of Paris in SF? *double sigh* xox

      Delete
  23. Victoria's Secret is under performing because it was never anything more than a niche store. The same thing goes for Bath and Body Works. Their time has passed. This is not the first a large retailer has failed to see the truth and killed off a good brand in order to desperately cling to the past.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh man that sucks!!!! I hate when a gorgeous flagship store closes its doors. All for some cheap crap at bath and Body. :(
    Those pancakes look amazing though and glad you still had a nice trip in the city.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!