Friday, December 14, 2018

EPITOME OF CHIC

While continuing our window tour, we visited another new location since two of our usual spots were closing. I suggested going to Ralph Lauren , because it would be a treat just to see the mansion itself.

 I figured we might as well see some beautiful bygone architecture. The Ralph Lauren mansion also had some pretty chic holiday windows and décor.  So chic in fact that they make me want to crawl into them and start living that life. I especially love the windows because of the bears!.  What will they think of next?! 

If you ever make it to New York, but not necessarily a Lauren shopper, stop in anyhow. The mansion itself should be seen. And I could have went nuts in their cashmere men's shop. I love me some cashmere. Costly yes...but oh so warm.

The Gertrude Rhinelander Waldo House is a French Renaissance revival mansion located at 867 Madison Avenue on the corner of East 72nd Street in the Lenox Hill neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. Completed in 1898, it was modeled after a châteaux of the Loire Valley in France. The plan was for this home to outshine the Vanderbilt limestone palace. Gertrude Rhinelander Waldo, the eccentric New York heiress who commissioned the mansion.Gertrude never actually moved in, never opened those crates. Widowed after two short years of marriage, she opted to live across the street in a town home with her unmarried sister, Laura V. Rhinelander.  She was unable to maintain the building and it went into foreclosure in 1909. The crates of valuable furnishings, never opened, were the cause of multiple lootings of the property in 1909. She died in debt in 1914. The building remained vacant until 1921.
Ralph Lauren obtained the lease in 1983 and started a massive overhaul of the building to create his first New York Ralph Lauren flagship store. Published figures put the cost around $14-15 million. And the best part was we got to visit the newly opened Ralph's Coffee Shop, with prices at the same or lower than Starbucks, and I have to say was downright damn good coffee, so much so I came home with a pound of it.
And fear not. If your not at the mansion, he also has several vintage coffee trucks out and about town, with one it seems always in the Rockefeller Center radius. How cute is that truck?
If Bergdorf Goodman won't let me move in, maybe Ralph Lauren will?

16 comments:

  1. Nice. Those bears are cute but kind of scrawny. Are you sure they aren't otters in disguise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Good one, Deedles.

      Delete
    2. Deedles, actually I'm impressed with your gay knowledge lol!

      Delete
    3. I do believe Steven, Duchess Deedles has been hanging at the Casa du Borghese with the houseboys....alot.

      Delete
    4. Hey y'all, I read!

      Delete
  2. I have always loved the mansion there, kudos to him for saving the landmark. I used to be a huge Ralph Lauren shopper, and still have many of the items. Very good quality. I love the bears too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those bears are so whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's gorgeous, I think shopping there would be an experience in itself. Nice pictures Maddie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tour and history lesson. And the bears - adorable. The bears in our town in Canada were naked!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorge. The vignettes are fabulous. Not surprising since RL is money. THe building is amazing tho. Glad they made it a flagship store.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loverly.
    And I love the whimsy of the bear heads on the mannequins in the windows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for introducing me to the Ralph Lauren mansion. I've heard of it but never saw photos. Really wonderful! And I love that snazzy coffee truck!

    (is "snazzy" ever used any more, or is it passe?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for stating the mansion's background. and is the you sitting on the bar in that slinky black dress and platform high heels? ;-b

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magnificent. And I too love those bears, which surprises me. It’s strange. I’ve got a number of clothing items I really like with the Ralph Lauren label, but I would automatically say Ralph Lauren is not my style, so I’ve never visited the store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That place is beautiful, and I especially like the picture with the mannequin wearing the black dress and the opera gloves. Well, except for the part where it looks like Holly Golightly lost her tiara.

    You know, those bear heads got me thinking that would make an excellent Halloween costume. Dress up really nice, but wear that bear head to see if anyone would recognize you.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!