Thursday, December 20, 2018

THE CHRISTMAS PYRAMID

 Do you know or remember Christmas Pyramids???

 It's yet another one of those fond childhood memories I have of the past. Christmas pyramids are Christmas decorations that have their roots in the folklore and customs of the Ore Mountain region of Germany, but which have become popular internationally. They comprise a decorated pyramidal outer frame with candle holders and a central carousel with a rotor at the top which is driven by warm air from the lit candles. The carousel is decorated with nativity scenes and other Christmas figures such as angels and wise men, as well as worldly motifs such as mining folk and forest scenes. It is suggested that the Christmas pyramid is a predecessor of the Christmas tree. Christmas pyramids are a kind of carousel with one or more levels, and are very intricately made from all different woods, and can take up to several months to make one. 


Christmas pyramids were originally hung from the ceiling of German families' houses. The custom spread across Europe, mainly to Italy and England and was brought to America by German immigrants in the 1700s.The origins of the Christmas pyramids date back to the Middle Ages where it was traditional in southern and western Europe to bring evergreen branches, for example boxwood, into the home and hang them in order to ward off moroseness in the dark and cold winter months. In northern and eastern Europe traditional candles were used to achieve this goal. The Christmas pyramid would eventually unify these two traditions and become a symbol of Christmas celebrations. In the large cities, the Christmas tree, now recognizable all over the world, gradually replaced the pyramids, but in the mountains, the people did not see a simple tree bedecked with lights; rather they were reminded of the capstans, which were commonly used in the mines of the Ore Mountains. To the pyramid shape was added the spinning motion of the capstan and the earliest Christmas pyramids were born. 

The Müller Company in Seiffen, Germany, makes some of the best and most elaborate of pyramids and is in it's fifth generation of family members to keep making these gems and has been producing handcrafted wooden artwork for more than 100 years,  they are a  company of master woodworkers known for their detail and fine craftsmanship of hand-carved wooden decorations. I'm am lucky to have two of them, both gifts from my aunt and uncle. Here's one of the two of mine.
And in action. At the end of a busy day, it's nice to come home, have a cocktail, listen to seasonal music and watch the spinning.
You may have also had one of these...a Swedish Angel Chime, that had the same concept, but are far less expensive. I love them too. listening to the faint little chime. I got this one years ago at a flee market for $5.00.
It's yet another of those fun holiday decorations with great memories
Any of you ever seen or have one?

17 comments:

  1. Due to our German Swiss heritage, we had one of those wooden Christmas carousels. I can't remember if it had candles or not. Perhaps my mother never lit them for fear of fire. As a young adult, I bought one of those metal Swedish ones too but it never worked as promised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember them. Not sure if we had one. Very pretty and festive. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know of these, but never had one. pretty things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cap Chasen12/20/2018

    I love these. My parents had one, and I wish I knew what came of it. After they both died, and was cleaning out the house, I never could find it, and we hadn't had it out in years before their passing. Such fond memories of it. They are quite expensive too if I recall...hold on to those. I thoroughly enjoyed that video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never had one, but I have always adored them. It makes your place quite charming Mistress. It's very calming to watch, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh pretty! Love this kind of tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I scrolled slowly down, looking at each picture carefully and thought, no I've never heard occurred or seen one. Then.......the last picture. Yes!!!!!! My grandmother had the exact same one only she called it an "angel chime".
    They are so beautiful. Exquisite even.
    Aaaaw, thanks for this. You've made my day.
    Although I wonder what happened to the one my grandmother had?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen these before, but they seem to be a rarity here in the U.S. (or am I just looking in all the wrong places?).
    They are really beautiful and a wonderful tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only place I have seen them is upscale Christmas Shops. There are several online companies like the Müller Company that you can get them. But they are expensive. I know you'd enjoy them.

      Delete
  9. Oh yes we had one of both...no idea what happened to them, but I did reorder a angaleena chime and put it out every year. I love your blog this season just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother had one, I wonder that happened to it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are new to me......onwards and upwards I'm buying one

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are quite lovely. I remember having one of the Swedish bell ones when I was s wee tyke. I’m sure you treasure the pyramids and the memories they hold.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the detail and workmanship ...and the whimsy! Always the whimsy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want one of those wooden ones. They are gorgeous. You are such a nostalgic guy mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too have never seen them, except for your blog. Where do you find them?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, wow! I had friends who were antique dealers in the '70s. They had a collection of those and I loved them! Haven't seen one in years. Yours are the most beautiful! But I did buy a Norwegian version of your Swedish chime for some friends when we were there last year.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!