Tuesday, January 27, 2009

He's Only 253



Today was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's birthday! He would be 253 years old today. The Mistress loves herself some classical music, in particular Mozart. And you all though I just loved deep house music! See I'm just full of surprises. No, the Mistress loves to listen to classical music or some good jazz while in traffic to work or while cooking. Today, it was all about classical. While I don't know the titles of all the works, I do know it sounds just beautiful and I find it very relaxing. Even at a young age, I always enjoyed listening to my cousin play his violin. He and his wife now play with the Chattanooga Symphony. I have seen them play several times before they moved away. Anywho,today the Philadelphia Pubic Radio station here all day played Mozart's works. Mozart was born January 27 1756 and was a prolific and influential composer of the Classical era. Mozart showed prodigious ability from a early age. He started composing from the age of five and performed before European royalty all before the age of twenty. Here are some fun facts. Did you know?

*Mozart was engaged by the age of seventeen.

*He only lived to be 35 years old?

*Mozart was nearly bankrupt when he died? He was buried in a unmarked grave.

*He was originally buried in a pauper's grave, but his final resting spot was never recorded by history.

*Mozart wrote about 600 pieces of work in his lifetime.

*Legend has it that at the age of 2, he identified a pig's squeal as a G sharp.

*Between the ages of 8 and 19 he had composed 33 symphonies.

*At the age of five he was considered an accomplished pianist.

*While on tour, the Empress Maria asked Mozart to play the palace. When they were introduced he climbed upon her lap and kissed her.

This is the Mistress's favorite symphony. I'm sure you will recognise it. Happy Birthday Mozart!

2 comments:

  1. Cool. Of course, while I like Mozart, I kind of prefer Chopin. And I had no doubt that you are so multi-faceted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/28/2009

    Wow.What a great post! I do like classical music but only in small doses. These are some pretty intresting facts though I never knew!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!