Monday, August 7, 2023

XTRAVAGANZA

 

The exquisite Carmen Etravaganza, Mother of the House of Xtravaganza, several times... and who never needed anything but a hint of make-up to look like she'd stepped out of a fashion magazine. Her extreme beauty, flair for fashion and fun personality didn't just inspire Paris is Buring, she cemented her House's excellence, inspired countless ballroom participants, snatched dozens of trophies and even at times inspired this queen! Sadly, we lost Carmen over the weekend of lung cancer at the age of 62. She of course, like voguer Willie Ninja, Madonna's dancers, Jose and Luis Xtravaganza, Dorian Corey, and Crystal LaBeija, helped bring ballroom culture into the mainstream. Without legends like Carmen, there might not be a Pose, inspiration for the video Vogue, HBO'S Legendary, or the catch phrases of RuPaul's Drag Race... or even a Drag Race.

Throughout the 80's Carmen reigned on the runway of the most legendary house on the Ballroom scene... House of Xtravaganza and its lineup of "impossible beauties. Carmen was always very vocal about being trans and talking publicly about her transition. Her openness and bravery helped pave the way for others in the ball scene, not to mention from outside the ballroom scene. Carmen was born in Spain in 1961 and moved to New York in the very late 1970s. She began transitioning when she was only 16 and living in Washington DC. Carmen eventually moved back to Spain for a short time and worked in the fashion and nightlife industries before returning to the US and cementing herself in the New York City ballroom and nightlife scene for the next 30 years.

I remember well when I'd go up to the city to hang on weekends with my good friend and sister Mame, AKA David Dust, and others of our clan...and hit the clubs. We caught Carmen once- I was totally star stuck when I saw her perform one night at La Escuelita in Time Square along with another legend, the Lady Catira. Too see them runway and vogue was fucking spine tingling kids. I despise the word icon...it is sooooo overused, but NOT when it is used on Carmen. 10s-10s-10s, 10s across the board henny, and Xtrava Power Foreva! 

RIP Goddess.

24 comments:

  1. She certainly made her mark. Sixty-two is very young to go. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extremely blessed to have met her and she left an imprint on my life as a trans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the 90s, House of Etravaganza accepted us club kids and kooks no questions asked. I saw Carmen and Brooke and Wille in all their glory honey. Watching Carmen and Brooke in Paris Is Burning, their joy and their confidence was akin to watching the sun come up after a long night. Carmens joy, beauty, humor, and strength have become beacons to many now. My condolences to the House of Xtravaganza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you know we need to grab some cocktails because I need to hear your stories. And I have seen pictures of your Club kid days.

      Delete
  4. R.I.P. Carmen, Goddesses never die.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Legacy of acceptance & love!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is heartbreaking news. She was a shining light for so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen Paris is Burning of course, and know all the names...but to see one of them in person would have been amazing. They seem like only things of legends when you have never seen them in person. You are lucky to have had New York in your backyard so to speak.

    Carmen will always be an icon and trailblazer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly why I used to love going out in New York City. You never knew who you would see or run into in any of the clubs on any given night. I have some stories of my own girl.

      Delete
  8. A lady of many, many stunning looks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Legend.
    And absolutely stunning. Gonna go watch Paris is Burning again in her name.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All right move over I brought the popcorn and drinks!

      Delete
  10. Damn....
    Wasn't she the basis for the Dominique character in "Pose"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure .. but I think it actually might have been Crystal LaBeija. That would make more sense, since Crystal was extremely sassy.

      Delete
  11. She died much too young.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Noooo! I remember her from Paris is Burning a long, long time ago. That's too young of an age to die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe she was still hitting the scene until she was on well enough to do so. Now that's a legend. You should watch Paris is burning again. It's amazing how well that documentary holds up.

      Delete
  13. Her presence and talent left an indelible mark on the House Ballroom scene. In 1988, Carmen's star shined even brighter when she graced the cover of the Village Voice for an article by Donald Suggs titled "Venus Envy: The Drag Balls of Harlem." This moment was pivotal as the House Ballroom scene began gaining mainstream attention. Her contribution to the community and artistry will forever be remembered. I can't believe I heard nothing of her passing except here...off to google.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had it not been for a friend texting me pearly, I was highly shocked I did not hear more about it anywhere. It was only until I went to Google did stuff come up otherwise I would have sold nothing.

      Delete
  14. I had only just saw this today. I even stopped at some gay sites and no mention. We can't let people like this slip away and not be remembered. Shame on some of those sites for no mention. Lovely post for this Mother!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very beautiful... a runway model. How fortunate... and she'll age well, too. Sigh. Good genes.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!