Sunday, August 6, 2023

IN THE GARDEN

 
It's been another glorious weekend here. Nice and sunny, just warm enough to not make one feel uncomfortable, and a nice breeze blowing. It's been nice to have today to tinker a bit in the garden, dead heading the roses, and clipping what seems to be never ending zinnia and asters, which are now in bloom. Yesterday one my dear clan members had a lovely pool party at his home we dubbed "the Ranch" years ago...rambling acres, a huge farmhouse that's been in his family since the mid 1900's and a quite large patio area with spectacular pool. Many of his family, family friends and our clan all collided to have a lovely day. My huge hat was a hit...although I'm sure a few might have thought I had a screw loose. A huge cook out on the grill was in order as well as his mother's homemade chicken corn soup, cooked in what was the biggest cast iron pot I'd ever seen, cooked right over a firepit!!! And it was damn tasty. And the pool time was glorious. The water felt great...but the drinks and sun tired me out. Needless to say, it was a late night. Today relaxing with a few refreshing cocktails in the garden

A bluebird mid bath!

I was also happy upon my return from FI, to see that our Cassia Senna also known as Popcorn Plant has taken and bloomed!!! The Cassia can get to be a tall plant and is native to African habitat. Its nickname comes from the fact that when rubbed it does indeed smell distinctively like buttered popcorn. It is a glorious pop of vibrant color in the garden, and it flourishes in the sun and heat, when other plants wilt. But be cautious with pets that nibble of plants and children. As all part of the Cassia are poisonous.

And how cool are these bracket fungi on the side of a pine tree we have?

32 comments:

  1. Those colors are simply amazing... don't eat the fungi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I love a funguy!

      Oh.... that was a bad one.

      Delete
  2. What vibrant colours -- glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavenly! We've been suffering intermittent high winds, grey clouds and downpours. Again. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are supposed to get some severe storms today. I hope not...high gales will wreak havoc with the delphiniums.

      Delete
  4. Your zinnia are amazing!!! Do you have enough vessels to put them in? A friend of mine just got one of those Cassia last summer and it is huge already. And it does smell just like movie buttered popcorn!!! It's crazy. and so pretty. Had no idea it was poisonous though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No where near the vessels needed. We kept a few for small vases. I gave some to our neighbor and some will also go into work for anyone that wants to take some.

      Delete
  5. What color!!!!! The Cassia does really smell like buttered popcorn?!?! It is gorgeous. I wonder what the wispy looking flowers are in the second photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're the magnificent Cosmos, Miss Gates! Jx

      Delete
    2. Jon is right dear. These came from some seeds I tossed into a grassy spot behind the potting shed.

      Delete
  6. Everything is so lush and beautiful. I especially like seeing the blue bird cooling off in his bath (I'm a voyeur).

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A shame you don't have a hot handsome neighbor with an outdoor shower then.

      Or do you? lol!!!

      Delete
  7. Oh how I miss gardening !

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are just lovely, Maddie. I so envy that bird! It got up to 106 degrees here today. My older geraniums are hanging in there, but the new guys bit the big one. I have an adult blow up pool that I'm planning on using some time after our camping trip this week. The squirrels will probably have a field day.
    You have quite the gift with plants. I'm still trying to find whatever my gift is. Horticulture is out of the question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how hot you guys have been. I really can't complain about our summer here, it's not been too bad and anything out of the ordinary for us. Camping!!!!!! You and I love our camping. My first of four camping trips is coming up next weekend. And this adult pool. I need pictures of that! What color is your swimmy cap?!?!?!

      Delete
    2. Duchess Deedles... I think your gift is making us all laugh, because your comments often do.

      Delete
  9. Everything looks so pretty. I have no luck with zinnia for some reason, but I love the colors of them. But the Cassia!!! Have it - love it! Save the seeds - easy to grow or transplant - nicely shaped, easy to "train" - my tallest one is about 8 feet now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upon further examination, I see I have two nice brown crispy seed pods already. But it they get that tall, I may have to transplant it to another locations, or plant it in a sizable pot.

      Delete
  10. It's all lovely Mistress! Asters are among one of my many favorites. And I have never heard of a Cassia plant. Does it really smell like buttered popcorn?? The flowers are gorgeous.

    And the bracket fugus is very cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful colors

    ReplyDelete
  12. A huge cook out on the grill
    I misread this as: A huge cock out. Easily done!
    Meanwhile, whilst you were away I moved back to Blogger - I am now at www.wonky-words.blogspot.com
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another return!!!!!!!! What's next? Mistress MJ will be having a huge cock out Reunion Party!!!!!!!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful flowers

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's all so lush and gorgeous. It's so hot here this Summer that everything is being burned by the sun and turning brown.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy the joys of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love seeing these beautiful colors. Enjoy them before the weather changes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm envious of your Canna; mine is still in bud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's actually two Canna in that pot, and they have been going insane this summer. With our rain and humidity and lots of sun the conditions have been perfect. I've lost track of how many times it's bloomed already. Before September it'll even get taller.

      Delete
  18. The Asters are gorgeous! I'm not a fan of Asters (I don't dislike them, though), but your photo has made them noteworthy - you certainly have an eye for such things.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!