Wednesday, August 30, 2023

ICE PALACE

 So... this weekend was a treat. While on Fire Island our host had tickets to the Ice Palace's weekend show...featuring none other than Patti Lupone!!!

 Right there on Fire Island. In the Ice Palace in Cherry Grove.  You know Patti Lupone. The Broadway diva, the three-time Tony winning performer, star of Evita, Gypsie and Company...She's fabulous, and gave an incredible concert. Her voice at 74? FLAWLESS! Anyway, the Ice Palace is a very long dance club in a big barn like, cavernous venue. Throughout much of the week it is a venue for many drags shows and strippers. And they perform on the very stage where Patti Lupone performed. And you know drag queen make most of their money with tips, so they are always passing that tip bucket around and everybody shows up with dollar bills and bigger bills to tip... and tip the strippers too. And trust me the strippers shake and shimmy to get those bills. On Friday nights there is the underwear party where most of the boys show up in underwear and jock straps and dance the night away. At the one end of the dance floor there is a curtained off area where it acts as a back room where the boys can get pretty frisky... huh, so I hear from a friend. This is where the stage for the night was. Anyway, midway through the performance, this guy walks up on to the stage right when Patti Lupone finished a song. He's holding his arm out and holding what appeared to be a rolled-up bill in his hand. Everyone took a collective sigh of breath, with, what is this guy doing, not to mention Patti Lupone is notorious for stopping a show for people talking, taking pictures and video and will chastise audience members. Everyone was like my god what is she going to do? Well, she looks at the guy and says, "Excuse me?" He says, "This is for you."  "What is this?"  He said "This is for you". She said "This is a $100 bill, what is this for?" He says, "You're doing great, this is what we do here." The audience erupts to laughter because the guy was out of it and though it must have been a drag impersonator. It was funny because she was getting a tip like a drag queen or stripper, and then she laughs, takes the bill, walks up to the piano and puts it in a fishbowl. Then she laughs and picks up the fishbowl and then starts working the audience for tips, passing that bowl, while singing. The audience is going wild, and they are tipping her like crazy, and she is laughing more, and starts running her hands through the fishbowl and says, " OMG,If you guys keep this up, I'm going to come back and see you!" And the best part? As we know she didn't need the money, she passed it off to a lesbian with a buzz cut and gave all the money back and donated it to the Cherry Grove Fire Department. About 30 minutes later after the show, the Lad and I were good and tight and were getting frisky, making out and playing slap and tickle. All of a sudden, we heard a woman say ," What is going on over there?" We turned to see it was Patti Lupone herself...on her way out. I replied, "It's what we do here.!" Still can't believe I said that. The best memory of summer so far, hands down.

Meanwhile the Lad still has no idea who she was.

30 comments:

  1. OMG. A night you´ll never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can say that again! And that pavilion was packed let me tell you!

      Delete
  2. Ha!

    She's a game girl, that Patti LuPone! What an evening - wish I had been there. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were told that our host had tickets for the show The Host sort of omitted that Patti LuPone was part of the entertainment. I think I had a strong sense of euphoria when I saw her emerge from the curtain ! I couldn't believe it!

      Delete
  3. Goodness, the life you lead....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On this night I would tend to agree with you. Seeing Patti LuPone perform, and then bend the Lad over out in the woods that is pretty fun! After this night I actually might be a fan of hers now.

      Delete
  4. Oh my Heavens what a great night! I think I would have passed out. I know she can be extremely difficult, and I've never been a huge fan, but if I had tickets I certainly wouldn't pass it up. I remember when our dear friend lived out there and we visit, one never knew who was going to pop in for entertainment and Cherry Grove. Well the last time there Chitia Riviera showed it up impromptu for a performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's only funny that you mentioned that Agnes, because to my understanding some queens were saying Chitia Riviera had been there just weeks prior.

      Delete
  5. Oh my God that story made my day! How funny that you got mistaken for a drag queen impersonator. Had a hundred bucks at that? That is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Queens on Fire Island got money. They were tipping honey, and some Queens were tipping tens twenties and fifties!

      Delete
  6. How memories are made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is a magical night, and that story had me in stitches. I can't believe he was that drunk and thought it was a drag queen impersonator! At least she was a good sport. Just another reason to love Fire Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought for sure she was going to slap him.

      Delete
  8. I've never been a big fan of hers, but this store had me roaring! And is it safe to say that you actually got read for getting frisky in a corner by Patti LuPone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly remember her from Steven Universe. All the diamonds were Broadway talent.

      Delete
  9. We've seen her a couple of times i n concert and she is fierce funny and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, holy shit!! Did you guys ever luck out!!!! I was eager to know what she did with the tip money, cuz I knew she'd give it away to someone or something. Patti is class act all the way. Oh, to have been a mouse in your pocket.... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great she gave the donations to the fire department since they only run on donations. Yes Fire Island was definitely active this weekend Pat!

      Delete
  11. I've heard of Patti LuPone but that's as far as it goes, she sounds like a good person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was tempted out of "retirement" for the "gender-swapped" version of Sondheim's Company that I went to see in 2018 - she's no Elaine Stritch, but she was great in it! Jx

      Delete
  12. You saw Patti LuPone? Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8/30/2023

    Scott from Massachusetts said...

    Oh, what a time had by all. Loved reading all the comments...
    The big boys down at the fire dept, will put the money to good use.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to see you pop up Scott. Fire Island is always a good time. I suspect you would enjoy the meat racks!! Hell I'd even give you a tour in the meat racks!

      Delete
    2. Perhaps on hose training? Lmao!

      Delete
  14. What an amazing once in a lifetime experience!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one spectacular anecdote to tell!!
    Patti Lupone being tipped? HONEY!
    And then she started working the audience? Gold.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous8/30/2023

    Tundra Bunny here...

    Sounds like you had a gggggreat night, Maddie.... all that and a fantastic anecdote too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic! What a vacation/getaway, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my God that is freaking amazing. Now I got to get my ass to Fire Island. Between you and other people I've talked to that place must be a blast.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!