Thursday, May 12, 2022

SOUTHERN CHARM


While I was away from the blog it was sad news that came to find out that New Orleans' longest reining showgirl, Chris Owens passed away. I 'd had been twice to NOLA, but never did get the chance to see her perform but would spend time outside the venue she owned on Bourbon Street gawking at her glam pics from decades gone by. I reckon she was one, if not, one of the last lounge acts, with a band and Latin-themed, high-energy songs and dance. To see her pictures and style, she always reminded me of NYC's  Latin legend and a drag sister, The Lady Catira, who was dropped dead glamorous and a performer at the Escuelita. I understand Chris who shimmied and sang for audiences went for more then six decades. No small feat, and was one of the French Quater's signature stars in the era of Al Hirt and Pete Fountain.


Generations saw her perform over the years and her shows became a classy cornerstone of one of the world's best-known entertainment destinations. Funnily, Owns age remained one of Nola's most mused-about mysteries. Her late longtime companion always said Owens was old enough to know what she wanted. It's believed she was 89 when she passed.

In 1983 the seemingly timeless chanteuse became the perennial queen of an Easter parade that annually drew thousands to the French Quater to behold the bonneted float riders and vie for the pastel stuffed toys she tossed. Alas,  Chris's last parade came in 2019 and was clouded with tragedy. The annual procession was followed by the death of Owen's companion Mark Davison. and her sister. She was highly regarded by us drag queens and was practically one of us. Owen's was a good and deep pocketed, and long time ally to the LGBTQ community and a excellent philanthropist for the whole community really. She was charismatic, beautiful, campy and iconic. The news was only made more sad that she died of a heart attack just weeks before the  Easter Parade that was her most glorious stage. I understand she was buried in the white and lavender showgirl costume she would've worn for the parade. Bless her heart. Why do I post this?  Stop procrastinating and go see your favorite divas and drag queens while they are still here. There are far more queens then just what we see on Drag Race. Let's see them now, instead of talking about them once there gone.

27 comments:

  1. That's a shame. I understand she was the closest thing New Orleans and the French Quarter had to a living legenc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her and the Lady Chablis were two of the best southern gems.

      Delete
  2. Sounded like a Colorful and Charismatic Life well lived, the Loving Tribute has introduced her to those of us who never knew her and how Legendary she was in the Industry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad that her life took such a tragic turn at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/12/2022

    Thank you for sharing her story. I did not know any of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie Beat5/13/2022

    Yes! This is why I called my P-Town, PV & upcoming NYC show “See Me While I’m Still Alive!”

    ReplyDelete
  6. She was definitely a NOLA legend! I lived there 30 years ago and still remember her posters from when I worked in the Quarter. How sad to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I got to Nola I always stopped in to see her show. Even though she wasn't a drag queen, your right, she may as well should have been. I was sadden to hear the news. She was a stunner in her youth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got to see her 3 times, she was fantastic each time and was as warm and sweet as she was entertaining. Just not making them like that anymore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have really enjoyed her! Lucky you.

      Delete
  9. Loved her. She was a guest at my show once years ago... and I can’t stress enough at how fabulous she was. Great performer. Very sad that she is no longer here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She was magnificent ⚜️✨

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2019 must have been a terrible time and turning point in her life. That third photo reminds me of Gina Lolabrigida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's a name that a blast from the past. Gina still looks pretty good too.

      Delete
  12. I can remember Bianca del Rio once told me she had to impersonate her for a Mardi Gras ball. The next day after the ball Chris sent beautiful roses to Bianca and asked if she could have a pair of the stoned fishnets she wore. She was a class act all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sad…We passed by her show a few times when in New Orleans and damn it, we never went in, a lost opportunity to see a legend of NoLA . We were even told several times to make sure we caught her show. And I remember seeing her pictures out front too. She sure sounded like something. That is a long career to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sad news, indeed. Sounds as if she was as NOLA iconic as Anne Rice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Legend.
    Loved the pics! This is the kind of entertainer we need: glamour, poise, talent. And abundant in charisma, uniqueness and nerve. Because it probably did take nerve to be that fantastic during her time. Very Chita Rivera in that photo, too.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly doubt but a hand full of queens these days will ever have the long stretch career she had.

      Delete
  16. I was NOLA for the Sugar Bowl over two decades ago, and I remember walking by her venue when I was in the French Quarter the night before the game. RIP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sugar Bowl? Is that as in Wedgewood?

      Delete
  17. That last outfit in yellow and black (not a colour combo I care for much normally) is very glam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sad news. She was beautful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks and sounds like she had a fabulous life.
    RIP

    ReplyDelete
  20. Many think she looks like a love child of Cher.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!