Thursday, September 23, 2021

HOMECOMING QUEEN


Utica is by far,  one of the most memorable queens from the Drag Race Empire. And has been hailed as one of the most talented and creative of designer of garments in the history of the franchise. Everything we witnessed was made by her and her lone, with campy, innovative and intricate designs the show had not seen. So it only be fitting she will be one of the first drag queens, beside the Queen herself,  to have a whole exhibition devoted to her work and design.

Utica and the Rochester Art Center are partnering to host "Homecoming Queen", a 4,000 square foot exhibition showcasing the artwork and high fashion of the former RuPaul's Drag Race contestant. While Utica is an incredibly charismatic performer, what truly sets her apart and elevates her craft is the fact that she conceives, designs and sew her own looks, which I hear are at near Alexander McQueen levels of inspiration, creativity and artistry. I would love to get to this showing...and I'd take Uptonking with me!!! To my knowledge though, this is the first ever showing that positions a drag performer as a visual artist via their garments handmade by them.

Known for her fashion-forward style, Homecoming Queen will feature around 20 or more of mannequins dressed in Utica's most evocative looks, seen on the show and off. Works also include original design sketches, large editorial photographs and a 10 minute film of her background.

Originally from Utica, which inspired her name, Utica has stayed connected with her small town roots through her wholesome and unique style. Discovering his knack for costume design at Hamline University and then went on to find his niche in the Twin Cities drag community. She has always been on the drag circuit even before his Drag Race roots, and became a break out hit on the show, and getting featured in Vogue itself. Utica hopes since the show features elements of everything from fashion and photography to queer culture and gender expression, it is hoped this exhibition serves as a catalyst for many meaningful conversations, especially LGBTQ issues in the community. To dive further into the world of Utica, the Rochester Art Center is also offering a ticketed virtual experience that will allow fans and fashion lovers from all over the world to join in the experience through an online gallery. The exhibition and tickets open December 4 and runs through April 3, 2022. Tickets and Rochester Art Center info here.

27 comments:

  1. I thought she was fantastic. Kooky, quirky and slightly awkward. Well, very awkward, like when she was roasting Nina West (Nina, btw gets me going as a boy). I thought Utica's transforming a bedspread into FASHION! was what sold me into becoming a fan. The judges were split when she came out in the lavender coat and the big print skirt, but I loved it.
    Would love to attend this!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Sixpense that one will be able to take a virtual tour of the exhibit....but I think taking Upton would be more fun. I just adore this bitch.

      Delete
  2. She was the one who I was rooting for. Her talent? Unquestionable. Apparent. Vibrant. Who could deny that? (Ru, I guess... fool.) Drag photography has become an art form in of itself. I could see retrospectives in museums dedicated to photos such as these... they leap out at you... and that may be because we view them on the screen of a laptop... I wonder if that vibrancy translates to photo paper? Thanks for highlighting Utica. I think the world of her...Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew nothing of her before the show, but she quickly went through the ranks... and I was hoping she would have been top 3 in the long run. She definitely has the creativity and knowledge of couture in her wheelhouse. And if I could come out....you'd so be my date for this showing!!!

      Delete
  3. Wow!!! Now that's talent. Creative. Innovative. Some stunning looks. Well, the saying goes: "Talent will out."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she continues to be stronger and more visible then many of those who won.

      Delete
  4. That quilted coat is amazing and looks nice and warm for the upcoming winter, while the black and white outfit is fit for the Cecil Beaton horse Ascot scene in My fair Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a ensemble one can sleep in and then just get up and go...and dressed to the hilt in couture yet.

      Delete
  5. How perfect!!!!! Because Utica IS a exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing exhibition that will be. Her style is fantastic. I may have to figure a way to get my ass to Rochester ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well....dare we a road trip??? The tour can be called Booze and Cruise!!!!

      Delete
  7. Absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Utica's wit is evident in her send-up designs of Carol Burnett-as-Scarlet-O'Hara, Carmen Miranda, Judy Garland-Dorothy and Audrey Hepburn-Eliza's Ascot outfit, not to mention her design talent. Her exhibition will be an event to remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She truly is one of a kind in my book Tundra! I have got to see her perform some time.

      Delete
  9. I just adored Utica on that season. She is to date one of my all time favorites of the series....her work on there was unparalleled. Kudos to her for getting her own exhibition. I may have to check that out once closer to when it starts....and a online tour is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ROADTRIP!!!!!! hENNNY! Utica was by far one, if not THE most creative queen the show has seen. I would love to be inside her head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A Mistress Borghese Roadtrip Field trip!

      Delete
    2. This road trip will be an event unto itself!!!!

      Delete
  11. Love her! Next thing you know she'll be on Project Runway. If it's still on?!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love me some Utica. So proud and so well deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fashion exhibits are among my favorite to see, and this would be a good one to see up close and personal. As long as the infamous Sleeping Bag one is included! Every week, I waited to see what she would do to top the previous week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I was mostly watching to see by one point just to see what she'd create! And she really encapsulated the ensemble too with her character.

      Delete
  14. Oh yes! That is one queen who served some masterpieces for sure on the show we hadn't seen before to this level. much luck to her with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows...maybe she'll be the first couture designer as a drag queen!!!

      Delete
  15. The costumes, patterns, fabrics, and textures are incredible. That’s talent. So happy for them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love her imagination in dress!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!