Sunday, January 2, 2011

Local Spot- Majestic Longwood Gardens



The Mistress had a lovely day out with her crew, and just had to share the elegant surroundings of Longwood Gardens, just outside Philadelphia. Some of the Mistress friends were in Philadelphia last night and wanted to go to see the majestic gardens, and them being cute and young and persuasive, I said what the hell! The deal breaker was a trip to The White Dog Cafe which I have been wanting to try. More on that in another post though. Exquisite flowers, majestic trees, dazzling fountains, opulent conservatory, starlit theatre, and a thunderous organ—all describe the magic of Longwood Gardens, a horticultural showstopper where the gardening arts are encased in classic forms and enhanced by modern technology. Many generations helped create Longwood Gardens, but one individual—Pierre S. du Pont , industrialist, conservationist, farmer, designer, impresario, and philanthropist—made the most enduring contribution. Pierre du Pont was the great-grandson of Eleuthère Irénée du Pont. Pierre turned the family business into a corporate empire in the early 20th century and used his resulting fortune to develop the Longwood property.Pierre du Pont's purchase of the property to save the trees reflects an acute awareness of plants and gardens dating from childhood. The du Pont family had a long tradition of gardening, and Pierre would turn out to be one of its greatest gardeners giving the place to the public. And how beautiful it was! I understand the du Pont's used to host elegant summer parties there too! Can't you just see the Mistress lounging about on a chaise somewhere in the conservatory? And the Christmas show was breath taking.





We also stayed long enough for the stunning fountain show and night time lighting of the tress! It was quite beautiful! Throughout the Christmas season, dancing fountain shows are set to holiday music once every hour in the day. Shows run more frequently at night, with 2-5 minute delays between each. The shows illuminate the night with vibrant colors and a glittering backdrop of snowflakes.





Even thought I went for the dinner, I have to admit being a bit lazy on Sunday I'm so glad I went! Tootles.

13 comments:

  1. Fabulous & fascinating... sorta like the Mistress Borhese.

    I wish you lots of love, peace & prosperity in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Longwood Gardens! It's one of my favorite places around the Philly area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking. Happy New Year :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How. Simply. GORGEOUS! You're so lucky to have those fabulous Gardens nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Longwood Gardens is absolutely beautiful! Christmas looks like a wonderful time to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every Christmas the symphony goes to Longwood Gardens to perform and we are never disappointed. The trees are well decorated and the main attraction is done up a little differently every year. Holiday music is playing, cocoa is sold along the path and the place just has an overall very festive feel. Great post, plus you were with cute boys to huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always thanks for a great weekend! You really are the hostess with the mostess ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unbelievabl place! How stunning! And no wonder if the du Pont started this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I have only been there once, and it was summer time, I was pleasantly surprised by this trip...My husband surprised me with a day in Longwood Gardens for my birthday gift at the end of July. We stayed the night before at a hotel a mile away and started our day at 9:00 AM. The gardens are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so jealous I couldn't have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I visit sometime you will have to take me here with my background in landscape design! I'll make it worth your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now those are holiday displays! Grand, but understated. Their attention to lighting and texture helps put there displays above the rest.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!